News Article: Any thoughts on Jiri Hudler...??

Soltantgris

May 31, 2010
So your best arguement is...

How's this stat line. Vemette 38 point season is catastophic. DD 29 point season and he's "better" than Vermette and half the size. How does this make any sense??

Vermette is definately not the player he was but even at his worse year, he's still 30% better and 100% larger than DD. Vermette over DD is a no brainer IMO.

Man, stop comparing DD with Vermette. I want none of them. I want a battle between our yound players for this 3rd and 4th line spot. It's that simple. Burn DD in AHL, and let the kids battle. I want rising kids over declining vets, and that include Desharnais obviously.

By the way, you should be happy - Desharnais just said he would love to play with Vermette :)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Man, stop comparing DD with Vermette. I want none of them. I want a battle between our yound players for this 3rd and 4th line spot. It's that simple. Burn DD in AHL, and let the kids battle. I want rising kids over declining vets, and that include Desharnais obviously.

By the way, you should be happy - Desharnais just said he would love to play with Vermette :)

None of our young guys are ready to take those spots yet. Giving them another year and less pressure to marinate and take their time developing will only help them.

I'd rather have an established NHLer come into the lineup then an untested rookie. If the vet doesn't do well and the rookie does, you can alternate between them and slowly bring them in. To ask them to take a full NHL workload off the bat is more than most rookies can handle and can do more harm than good.

Soltantgris

May 31, 2010
None of our young guys are ready to take those spots yet. Giving them another year and less pressure to marinate and take their time developing will only help them.

''Take their time to develop'', I agree. Hudon spent 2 years in AHL, Shaw is not a teen anymore, Danault has been very good in his first 50 NHL games. It's time to develop our guy against NHL competition, so we don't need to sign every single bottom 6 player of the universe. It is a young NHL. Just look at TB !

If the success or the failure of CH depend of how a 3rd line player perform, we are in deep trouble. Let's try our own guys first.

If Hudon can't play right now, he's mostly done. If Danault or Shaw can't take Eller's responsability right now, Bergevin is stupid as hell.

Well, if he want to trade out Mitchell and Flynn to make room for Vermette (and burn DD in AHL), let's go, and let him fight for his time.

But Hudon - Danault and Shaw first. They are 22/21 and 25 year old guys, let them play the game.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
So your best arguement is...

How's this stat line. Vemette 38 point season is catastophic. DD 29 point season and he's "better" than Vermette and half the size. How does this make any sense??

Vermette is definately not the player he was but even at his worse year, he's still 30% better and 100% larger than DD. Vermette over DD is a no brainer IMO.

The past 3 seasons,
DD has 129 pts, 68 PIM, and is +27 in 226 games.
Vermette has 121 pts, 177 PIM, and is -39 in 240 games.

DD also is still in his prime, while Vermette is turning 35 next year

Vermette is 30% better?

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
''Take their time to develop'', I agree. Hudon spent 2 years in AHL, Shaw is not a teen anymore, Danault has been very good in his first 50 NHL games. It's time to develop our guy against NHL competition, so we don't need to sign every single bottom 6 player of the universe. It is a young NHL. Just look at TB !

If the success or the failure of CH depend of how a 3rd line player perform, we are in deep trouble. Let's try our own guys first.

If Hudon can't play right now, he's mostly done. If Danault or Shaw can't take Eller's responsability right now, Bergevin is stupid as hell.

Well, if he want to trade out Mitchell and Flynn to make room for Vermette (and burn DD in AHL), let's go, and let him fight for his time.

But Hudon - Danault and Shaw first. They are 22/21 and 25 year old guys, let them play the game.

Hudon wouldn't be nor is he ready to be a 3rd line centre in the NHL. Danault and Shaw already have positions in the bottom 6 so I'm not sure why you're bringing them up. Shaw even though listed as a centre, doesn't play centre. He's maiinly used as RW with LW spot duty from time to time. In any case Vermette brings much more offense to the 3rd line than any of these players. DD HAS the 3rd line centre spot so bringing in Vermette would be to take DD's spot, no one elses which is why it's perplexing why you keep bringing up other players on the roster.

The past 3 seasons,
DD has 129 pts, 68 PIM, and is +27 in 226 games.
Vermette has 121 pts, 177 PIM, and is -39 in 240 games.

DD also is still in his prime, while Vermette is turning 35 next year

Vermette is 30% better?

Vermette had similar numbers to DD while DD was playing first line centre on a much better team (292 points vs. 246 points over 3 years), playing with a top 4 NHL goalscorer. Just because the categories of the numbers are the same, doesn't mean they are relative. Different teams, different experiences all together and even with all that working against him he still keeps pace with DD who far more benefits working in his favor than Vermette had. Just last year Chicago gave a 1st for Vermette and DD hasn't had so much as a sniff while being shopped around for the better part of a year.

Add to that, the position is not for 1st line centre. It's for 3rd line centre. Once DD was removed from the top line his numbers all but evaporated to the point that he had 11 points less than Vermette last year while in similar roles. Vermette is also bigger and can be a better fit to squeeze into a top 6 role should there be an injury to Plex or Chucky.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Hudler is a one dimensional player. He's not very good in the defensive zone so I highly doubt he'll be on thei radar unless it's less than 1 mil . We need size.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Hudon wouldn't be nor is he ready to be a 3rd line centre in the NHL.

How do you know he's not ready? The camp has not even begun yet.

So no matter how well he does at the camp he wont have a job? So let's say he's better than our 3rd line center at the camp and starts his AHL season with 15 points in 10 games while our 3rd line center does 2 points in 10 games he still wont have the job. That's been a problem with this team for the past 20 years. Vet are not accountable for their performance on the ice. They have a better job security than civil servants.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
How do you know he's not ready? The camp has not even begun yet.

So no matter how well he does at the camp he wont have a job? So let's say he's better than our 3rd line center at the camp and starts his AHL season with 15 points in 10 games while our 3rd line center does 2 points in 10 games he still wont have the job. That's been a problem with this team for the past 20 years. Vet are not accountable for their performance on the ice. They have a better job security than civil servants.

Don't get angry with me. I'm just going by what the org said about him last year. They said he still needs to work on his consistency before he becomes a regular NHLer. Considering they only used him for 2 games during last years injury plagued year that's not exactly giving me the impression they're sold he's ready for that role.

I'd imagine that even if he has a good camp, they'll want to see him be more consistent in St. John's before they give him a shot as a regular and it will likely be on the LW rather than at centre at any rate.

bloudy

Feb 12, 2015
East Vancouver
Everyone constantly complained about the 'MB Special': declining, low-risk, high-reward player for <$1MM. Now we're entertaining the thought of adding Vermette? :shakehead

I say we see how the beginning of the season goes, and save what little cap space we have left for Shipachyov in December / the trade deadline.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Everyone constantly complained about the 'MB Special': declining, low-risk, high-reward player for <$1MM. Now we're entertaining the thought of adding Vermette? :shakehead

I say we see how the beginning of the season goes, and save what little cap space we have left for Shipachyov in December / the trade deadline.

Wouldn't Shipachyov need to clear waivers if we signed him in December? Considering how many teams seem to be interested, doubt he'd clear.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Wouldn't Shipachyov need to clear waivers if we signed him in December? Considering how many teams seem to be interested, doubt he'd clear.

If he were playing in the KHL to start the season, yes. If he were just waiting til he was unrestricted free agent, no.

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
If it comes down to Hudler over DD then I am all for it but who knows. Maybe DD turns it around now that he's lower on the depth chart and facing easier competition. I say stick with what we have, let our prospects earn the ice and push out the dead wood, can't make too many changes.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
If it comes down to Hudler over DD then I am all for it but who knows. Maybe DD turns it around now that he's lower on the depth chart and facing easier competition. I say stick with what we have, let our prospects earn the ice and push out the dead wood, can't make too many changes.

Isn't that an oxymoron??? Push out the dead wood, isn't that what DD is ? DD is going to get that ice time wither he deserves it or not. He will be taking it away from a prospect that could use that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad