Any reason to think McDavid can beat Crosby this year?

a587b

May 23, 2016
Thank you..

Like I said..I'll be happy if McDavid matched that..There is no need to put the weight of entire NHL on his shoulders for atleast 3 more yrs.. we can talk about Crosby then.

160pts really??

I think McDavid will be even better than Pavel-- I think McDavid is a phenomenal talent-- but Pavel was brilliant and I've seen a few threads recently where he has been underestimated. If we're going to use era adjustments to compare elite scorers, we should use third-line centre adjustments, too.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
but with mcdavids skill set you never know. 160 no but he has 6 points and easily could have 10. he was stoned point blank a few times. never say never I guess

I hate this he could have had 10 points if other players has finished off chances. You can say that about a lot of players. No one has a 100% success rate when shooting or playmaking. As great as mcdavid is, he isn't going to get a point for every opportunity he creates.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I hate this he could have had 10 points if other players has finished off chances. You can say that about a lot of players. No one has a 100% success rate when shooting or playmaking. As great as mcdavid is, he isn't going to get a point for every opportunity he creates.

I agree, but in McDavid's case the equivalent of "he could have had 10 points" for another player is actually "he could have had 20 points" for McDavid. He creates more than any player in the NHL.

Mr Donald Hangrider*

Dec 20, 2015
I agree, but in McDavid's case the equivalent of "he could have had 10 points" for another player is actually "he could have had 20 points" for McDavid. He creates more than any player in the NHL.

Nobody plays that game for Gretzky and Lemuiex though. They got what they got. McDavid will get what he gets. It's a silly game to play.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nobody plays that game for Gretzky and Lemuiex though. They got what they got. McDavid will get what he gets. It's a silly game to play.

I'm well aware, I wasn't making an argument that McDavid should be credited for that. I was simply saying that the argument "you could say that for every player" is not exactly accurate in this case because McDavid creates substantially more chances that aren't converted than basically everyone in the league.

With that said, if Crosby is out for any significant amount of time I think the Art Ross is McDavid's to lose. At this point I'll be surprised if he doesn't hit 100 points this year if he plays ~80 games.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I think there is a strong possibility that McDavid has more points than Crosby by seasons end. I would not be surprised in the slightest if he won the Art Ross this year. The guy just makes it look easy; that backhand goal he scored on the breakaway looked effortless. I can see him getting 120 points. He's leading the league with 6pts in 2 games, and it wouldn't surprise me if he stayed there for the rest of the season.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Brouwer and Giordano both called McDavid the best player in the league in recent interviews. Means more coming from guys who play against him often than random posters on the web.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think he'll win the scoring title this year. As amazing as Sid is and was when he entered the league, McDavid is just better. I mean, you just cannot contain him and combine that with his elite hockey sense, it's very scary.

He's the best player I've seen play since #66.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Honestly , I never thought there would be an outstanding player like Gretzky and Lemieux, agan. However, looking at this 19 year old kid right now, you really have to wonder. The sky is the limit for this young man.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Here is my take on Mc David.

If he really is a poor man's Gretzky (and I think he is) he will get 90 points or so this year but this is what will happen in the future.

Gretzky started to train Messier, Andersen and Kurri how to think differently and play differently. By season 3 (81-82) these players were finishing off many of the Gretzky set ups that they were unable to understand the previous years.

At this point Pulju Draisaitl and others are going to figure this out as well and Mc David will get 150 points.

I don't disagree with you, BUT Gretzky was no man. He was a god. So the better analogy would be saying McJesus is a "lesser god Gretzky."

McJesus is really good. He's good for hockey. But it's a shame that he plays in such a small market. No offense, but McJesus in Edmonton is not optimal for the NHL. Look how much PR Bizarro McDavid (Auston Matthews - born of a Californian and Mexican ... trained in the deserts of Arizona) received in 1 GAME. The Prince of Toronto is the toast of the NHL already.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Who would you draft today if they were both the same age and entering the draft, Bure or Mcdavid?

I'd take Mcdavid all day long. Bure was one of the all time greats I grew up watching IMO but Mcdavid is a whole different beast.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Please don't compare Bure and McDavid. I don't like Edmonton for personal reasons (nothing to do with the team) and Bure was an amazing player, but McDavid is simply a different caliber of player.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I don't disagree with you, BUT Gretzky was no man. He was a god. So the better analogy would be saying McJesus is a "lesser god Gretzky."

McJesus is really good. He's good for hockey. But it's a shame that he plays in such a small market. No offense, but McJesus in Edmonton is not optimal for the NHL. Look how much PR Bizarro McDavid (Auston Matthews - born of a Californian and Mexican ... trained in the deserts of Arizona) received in 1 GAME. The Prince of Toronto is the toast of the NHL already.

The attention Matthews got in the US after his epic debut was solely based on the fact that he is American. The team he plays for is moot.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

The center study by sportsnet which ranked McDavid 7th in Offense/Defense/Transition, showed that Malkin creates far more scoring chances than any other center in the league

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
The attention Matthews got in the US after his epic debut was solely based on the fact that he is American. The team he plays for is moot.

soley? are you serious? He scored 4 friggin goals man.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The center study by sportsnet which ranked McDavid 7th in Offense/Defense/Transition, showed that Malkin creates far more scoring chances than any other center in the league

Far more? Weren't him and Crosby extremely close?

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
soley? are you serious? He scored 4 friggin goals man.

Ok you are right. I'll change it to 90%. If it was Mitch Marner that got the 4 goals I'm sure it would have, probably, been mentioned on the US networks.

NBC sure as hell wouldn't have picked up the Leafs Bruins game because of it. :laugh:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I'd be interested to see how they calculated their numbers. I don't have access to it anymore with war-on-ice gone, but McDavid was leading the league in high danger scoring chances per 60 last season (can't remember if it was just 5v5 or overall, but I'm pretty sure it was both).

Edit: Found the numbers. Source: http://naturalstattrick.com (with my own math since they don't have per 60 stats).

2015/16

High danger scoring chances:
McDavid:
5v5 – 15.02/60min
All situation – 17.74/60min

Malkin:
5v5 – 11.0/60min
All situation – 14.53/60min

Scoring chances:
McDavid:
5v5: 26.44/60min
All situations: 31.10/60min

Malkin:
5v5: 21.26/60min
All situations: 27.49/60min

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Far more? Weren't him and Crosby extremely close?

Offense/Defense/Transition yes there was a paper thing margin. In scoring chances created; there wasn't.

I'd be interested to see how they calculated their numbers. I don't have access to it anymore with war-on-ice gone, but McDavid was leading the league in high danger scoring chances per 60 last season (can't remember if it was just 5v5 or overall, but I'm pretty sure it was both).

Scoring chances that he was involved in, not high danger chances for himself. Malkin style of play is moving all around the ice to move screens around and then passing it off to a dman or high forward. This is effective, but doesn't end up on high danger chances and usually ends up as a secondary assist.

Most interesting to me that Malkin was ranked 2nd in carry in attempts... 1st was Barkov.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Offense/Defense/Transition yes there was a paper thing margin. In scoring chances created; there wasn't.

Scoring chances that he was involved in, not high danger chances for himself. Malkin style of play is moving all around the ice to move screens around and then passing it off to a dman or high forward. This is effective, but doesn't end up on high danger chances and usually ends up as a secondary assist.

Most interesting to me that Malkin was ranked 2nd in carry in attempts... 1st was Barkov.

Those stats I provided are stats while they're on the ice. Obviously that doesn't mean each player in always involved in the play, but when McDavid is on the ice more scoring chances and high danger chances occur than when Malkin is on the ice.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Those stats I provided are stats while they're on the ice. Obviously that doesn't mean each player in always involved in the play, but when McDavid is on the ice more scoring chances and high danger chances occur than when Malkin is on the ice.

Of course McDavid will have higher scoring chances when he's on the ice, his linemates are far better than Malkins. That's why only scoring chances they're involved in matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad