Injury Report: Any news on Franzen? UPD: Franzen placed on IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
So Franzen works his ass off all summer, gets back into game shape, plays two games, and then agrees to sit out for five months so the Wings don't have to waive Joakim Effing Andersson?

I'm not buying it. And hoping there was some heavy sarcasm that I missed. Because it's pretty ridiculous.

Also it doesn't look like anyone has confirmed LTIR, only short term. Thread title should be changed.

Yup, you got it. Reminds me of the Selanne stuff on Anaheim. Franzen gets to come back for the meat of the season while Holland gets his full depth squad.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Yup, you got it. Reminds me of the Selanne stuff on Anaheim. Franzen gets to come back for the meat of the season while Holland gets his full depth squad.

I smell something too, but it's not a conspiracy...

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Cool. Guess we'll see if his career is over or if he'll come back when it's more convenient for Holland.

If Cleary had mysteriously gotten a sore something or other, then I'd be buying. This isn't Selanne telling the boss in June that he'll see him in February and then heading to the beach. For a guy like Franzen who went through so much just to get back on the ice, then actually makes it back and doesn't look out of place...

Nope. Not a chance. Not for roster fill like Andersson.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Exertion and stress can cause inflammation to reoccur. The doctor who cleared Franzen after such a short period should be held accountable, he wasn't symptom free nearly long enough to be cleared for contact let alone to play. And it's not just me saying this, this was pretty much word for word from a head of a neurology department I collaborate with for my research.

Was he ever symptom free? I remember an article from training camp where I thought he talked about still having headaches.

I had more of a conspiracy vibe when Kindl went down with "eye infection". But anyway looks more and more likely we'll just see an endless parade of IR to keep every single player.

Pretty much. I don't think this is happening with Franzen, either, but when we need someone to go down, someone will have a bump or bruise that forces them onto the IR.

Couldn't it be both? I can see Franzen being legitimately injured, but also working to come back at a time when the roster would best allow it.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Was he ever symptom free? I remember an article from training camp where I thought he talked about still having headaches.

Pretty much. I don't think this is happening with Franzen, either, but when we need someone to go down, someone will have a bump or bruise that forces them onto the IR.

Couldn't it be both? I can see Franzen being legitimately injured, but also working to come back at a time when the roster would best allow it.

He would have had to be symptom free in order for a doctor to be able to clear him. There is no publicized protocol for this, but I know for a fact that it's not uniform across the NHL and that NHL teams and players pressure the doctors for favorable results.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Cool. Guess we'll see if his career is over or if he'll come back when it's more convenient for Holland.

Are those the only possible options?

Or is it possible that he's actually injured and might recover enough to play again?

When exactly did Holland become a master villain in your mind?

Actual Thought*

I am with you all the way man, I also want to know where Holland was when the Lindberg baby disappeared.:sarcasm:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Or is it possible that he's actually injured and might recover enough to play again?

Meanwhile, at the Legion of Doom!

latest

bilde

"I'll tell them that I'm kicking some tires, but in reality, I will be hoarding all of the depth in the league.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

Man oh man, do I ever love a good conspiracy theory -- I'm leaning towards him not faking it, however.

What would be another possible option besides faking it and not faking it? Seems to me that there's only two choices here.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Told you guys a sneeze would injure him.

He needs to put himself to science. See if Science can find a way to fix concussions

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hey when you're paranoid you can make anything fit the scenarios you dream up in your head. Datsyuk probably isn't really hurt either. Jiri Fischer would still be playing if Holland hadn't made him part of a conspiracy that was designed to avoid having to waive anyone.

We're talking about the possible end of Franzen's career. To suggest he's faking it is pretty damn cold. It's not even a theory with real-world merit since Helm is still injured so Franzen could be playing all weekend before he starts faking it.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Agree, it's just crazy to think Franzen is playing games with the end of his career. This concussion stuff has been an ongoing problem for what? 7 years for him. We've seen him take brutal shots to the head. Far more likely he keeps coming back because he loves playing the game...but isn't able to. He's a very talented forward and it really sucks, but I hope he stays far away from hockey till he's 100%...if he ever is again. The dude is 35 and could screw up the entire rest of his life to play a game. Not. Worth. It.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Hey when you're paranoid you can make anything fit the scenarios you dream up in your head. Datsyuk probably isn't really hurt either. Jiri Fischer would still be playing if Holland hadn't made him part of a conspiracy that was designed to avoid having to waive anyone.

We're talking about the possible end of Franzen's career. To suggest he's faking it is pretty damn cold. It's not even a theory with real-world merit since Helm is still injured so Franzen could be playing all weekend before he starts faking it.

Faking it? No. Franzen has said he wasn't feeling 100% throughout the entire offseason. I'm saying this might have been planned out by both parties. Or maybe it wasn't, what do any of us really know? If they can find a way to allow Franzen to contribute to the team while preserving his career, I think they'd do it.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Faking it? No. Franzen has said he wasn't feeling 100% throughout the entire offseason. I'm saying this might have been planned out by both parties. Or maybe it wasn't, what do any of us really know? If they can find a way to allow Franzen to contribute to the team while preserving his career, I think they'd do it.

its really hard to see your point of view on this one heaton.

the NHL has quite clearly laid the ground work for "Pronger" type situations.

They may be undergoing lawsuits about concussions. Could you see them start "forcing concussion players" to retire to deny them salary? Especially when the insurance companies pay for it?

Not a Chance.

I do not think Detroit even needs to "pretend" like Franzen is injured.
IF they wanted to LTIR him forever, the NHL is obviously OK with this.
Who needs to be tricked??

Well if anyone... Franzen himself. What if he public came out saying "I am not really injured at all".... And that would cost him millions of dollars to force himself into retirement???

Ya Basically there is not even the MOTIVATIONS to create a conspiracy theroy. Everyone is OK with paying him if he cant play. The LTIR "loophole" from the NHL perspective is at this point totally approved IMO. I do not see ANYTHING being done here, due to simply the safety concerns mixed with 'no realistic financial gain" for anyone.

Hillbillywingsfan

Nov 12, 2009
Austin, Tx
Am I going to be able to say that I hate to see him like this and that I feel he needs to hang them up before something bad happens and he is not the same without having someone tell me that I'm just being a mean doo doo head and that I just want him off the team and I'm not really concerned with his health?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
its really hard to see your point of view on this one heaton.

the NHL has quite clearly laid the ground work for "Pronger" type situations.

They may be undergoing lawsuits about concussions. Could you see them start "forcing concussion players" to retire to deny them salary? Especially when the insurance companies pay for it?

Not a Chance.

I do not think Detroit even needs to "pretend" like Franzen is injured.
IF they wanted to LTIR him forever, the NHL is obviously OK with this.
Who needs to be tricked??

Well if anyone... Franzen himself. What if he public came out saying "I am not really injured at all".... And that would cost him millions of dollars to force himself into retirement???

Ya Basically there is not even the MOTIVATIONS to create a conspiracy theroy. Everyone is OK with paying him if he cant play. The LTIR "loophole" from the NHL perspective is at this point totally approved IMO. I do not see ANYTHING being done here, due to simply the safety concerns mixed with 'no realistic financial gain" for anyone.

I think people are taking my theory the wrong way. I don't think Franzen is faking anything, I don't think anyone is lying or doing anything unethical. I merely think that Franzen was never feeling 100%, but was somehow cleared by doctors. And since he may still not be 100% right now, it's better for him and the team to put him on IR instead of going through the charade. I think that when it's easier for him and the team to bring him back, he'll play again.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Probably much of this stuff is insurance company related. It looks nonsensical to put a guy that's still obviously injured and complaining of headaches back on the ice to start the season, but perhaps the insurance bean counters make some of this necessary.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He would have had to be symptom free in order for a doctor to be able to clear him. There is no publicized protocol for this, but I know for a fact that it's not uniform across the NHL and that NHL teams and players pressure the doctors for favorable results.

That's what I would assume, too, but that's also why I brought up the interview where he admitted to still having the occasional headache. I don't think he was ever symptom free to begin with.

The league needs to get on top of this and have a uniform protocol. Putting people in the stands to watch is ridiculous when they won't put it in stone how teams are supposed to deal with this after the concussion has already been diagnosed. Having a centralized system for treating it wouldn't be a bad thing either, such as a handful of doctors employed by the league that roam and give the tests for it.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think people are taking my theory the wrong way. I don't think Franzen is faking anything, I don't think anyone is lying or doing anything unethical. I merely think that Franzen was never feeling 100%, but was somehow cleared by doctors. And since he may still not be 100% right now, it's better for him and the team to put him on IR instead of going through the charade. I think that when it's easier for him and the team to bring him back, he'll play again.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest I agree with you. I know it was different but when I was in active duty military it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was a similar situation. You get chastised by members of your unit/team for not being able to hack it. And most times from memory with **** that people where dealing with ended up getting exponentially worse due to this. For pro athletes it is more likely the media/fans that get on them then teammates I assume.

To get cleared for duty you just had to follow a set of answers that weren't really delved into at all. And I find it suspect that any doctor that is team affiliated is truly honest when it comes down to clearing people due too the high amount of $ and prestige they get for having a client like a pro sports team.

I am thankful however that this happened off of a non serious issue for Johan however. It is much better for him to have a minor issue then getting plastered again and it being much more serious. It would not be great to watch him become a vegetable on live television that when his kid/s grew up could see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad