Any Jarry Defenders Left?

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I don't remember seeing any Jarry defenders. Who are you talking about?

However.... I will call out @Andy99 for this comment:
"He hasn’t won an important game, just random games in early to mid-season lol…don’t trust him either…if we’re going to do anything this season, from getting into the POs to winning a round or two, one of our other goalies is going to have to come out of nowhere and give us tremendous play…I’m glad Jarry is a pre-January all star lol, but he can’t be counted on post January"

In your defense, there are still 2 months left in the year.
Come on Jarry!! Andy is counting on you! :D

Unless the Penguins were able to swing Hellebuyck every other goalie out there was basically surrendering this season before it started. Jarry is a lottery ticket that you get enough good from him to out weight the bad, but it is still a better chance than the other options Dubas had.
I agree with you here...there wasn't much out there. However, he should have signed him for a $4M x 1-2 years. I don't think he would have gotten what he wanted on the market. I mean who else was desperate for a goalie like Jarry?

I think the thread should be renamed is there any dubie defenders left?
I would defend Dubas overall. Based on the mandate he had, I don't think he could have done any better for the team. Let's be honest, the EK deal couldn't have been any better.

Heck getting rid of Granlund/DeSmith/Petry/Rutta and getting nothing back would have been a feat on it's own!

He did get rid of DeSmith and signed Nedel which was an real upgrade with some potential upside. I don't defend his Jarry signing though.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I don't remember seeing any Jarry defenders. Who are you talking about?

However.... I will call out @Andy99 for this comment:
"He hasn’t won an important game, just random games in early to mid-season lol…don’t trust him either…if we’re going to do anything this season, from getting into the POs to winning a round or two, one of our other goalies is going to have to come out of nowhere and give us tremendous play…I’m glad Jarry is a pre-January all star lol, but he can’t be counted on post January"

In your defense, there are still 2 months left in the year.
Come on Jarry!! Andy is counting on you! :D

I agree with you here...there wasn't much out there. However, he should have signed him for a $4M x 1-2 years. I don't think he would have gotten what he wanted on the market. I mean who else was desperate for a goalie like Jarry?

I would defend Dubas overall. Based on the mandate he had, I don't think he could have done any better for the team. Let's be honest, the EK deal couldn't have been any better.

Heck getting rid of Granlund/DeSmith/Petry/Rutta and getting nothing back would have been a feat on it's own!

He did get rid of DeSmith and signed Nedel which was an real upgrade with some potential upside. I don't defend his Jarry signing though.

He almost assuredly would not have signed for that. There were other UFAs on the market that were comparable to worse than him that got better deals than that, or closer to what he got here.

I'm not a defender, but the realistic alternatives were not any better.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
He almost assuredly would not have signed for that. There were other UFAs on the market that were comparable to worse than him that got better deals than that, or closer to what he got here.

I'm not a defender, but the realistic alternatives were not any better.
Who are these UFAs that got better deals in the 2023 free agency signings?
or if you are referring to 2022...who there?

Kuemper? Just came off a Stanley Cup win.
Adin Hill? Same there.

I pulled numbers based on 2022-23 stats, sorted by save percentage (min 20 games played), and signing date.

Who did he compare to here?

I'm not saying I'm right, but I want you to help me understand. It almost feels like Dubas got a bit desperate due to the lack of options.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Who are these UFAs that got better deals in the 2023 free agency signings?
or if you are referring to 2022...who there?

Kuemper? Just came off a Stanley Cup win.
Adin Hill? Same there.

I pulled numbers based on 2022-23 stats, sorted by save percentage (min 20 games played), and signing date.

Who did he compare to here?

I'm not saying I'm right, but I want you to help me understand. It almost feels like Dubas got a bit desperate due to the lack of options.

This is the real list:

Capfriendly UFAs

Anything below Jarry wasn't available to sign. And yes, I was taking into account the deals that Campbell/Korpisalo/Merzlikins got as players with similar to worse histories (inconsistent/imperfect starters).

So you had basically no realistic alternatives, and other similar starters getting roughly the same deals as Jarry. He wasn't going to sign a sweetheart short term deal when no one else was.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes.

And I don't give a f*** to read the shit in this thread. Just know, I exist as his supporter.

To actively know both goalies are having a hard time behind a shitty team and then just make it about the goalie is f***ing dumb. Par for the course here these days. Dumb shit rampant.

Reactions: Super Duper

Super Duper

Oct 2, 2014
Toronto
Does anyone think that a coaching change would help Jarry at this point?

It might reduce GA as a result of improving defense, or result in more wins through more offense production, but Im not convinced Jarry can get consistently better.

Yes.

And I don't give a f*** to read the shit in this thread. Just know, I exist as his supporter.

To actively know both goalies are having a hard time behind a shitty team and then just make it about the goalie is f***ing dumb. Par for the course here these days. Dumb shit rampant.

It's not completely his fault for sure, but he is actively losing duels against what should be worse goalies.

For example, when goalies the pens play have a direct line of sight to a shot, they're consistently making the easy save. With Jarry it's 50/50.

Jarry has the ability to perform lights out some nights, we've seen it happen, but as soon as one thing goes wrong it's down hill from there. Doesn't provide anyone watching with confidence that he can perform every night and help the team to a win.

This organization has a weird ability to produce very skillful goalies , but also goalies that are mentally fragile it seems

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Does anyone think that a coaching change would help Jarry at this point?

It might reduce GA as a result of improving defense, or result in more wins through more offense production, but Im not convinced Jarry can get consistently better.

It's not completely his fault for sure, but he is actively losing duels against what should be worse goalies.

For example, when goalies the pens play have a direct line of sight to a shot, they're consistently making the easy save. With Jarry it's 50/50.

Jarry has the ability to perform lights out some nights, we've seen it happen, but as soon as one thing goes wrong it's down hill from there. Doesn't provide anyone watching with confidence that he can perform every night and help the team to a win.

This organization has a weird ability to produce very skillful goalies , but also goalies that are mentally fragile it seems

He needs a new voice as a goalie coach. The skill is there but it seems like his guidance isn't.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
I'm not saying Hellberg is anything else than AHL call-up but what I'm saying is that he has won 2 out of 2 goalie matchups while 5,5m Jarry has won 3 out of 8, against kuemper, Georgiev, Sharks

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not saying Hellberg is anything else than AHL call-up but what I'm saying is that he has won 2 out of 2 goalie matchups while 5,5m Jarry has won 3 out of 8, against kuemper, Georgiev, Sharks

Hellberg is good, he's a NHL caliber goalie.

The Penguins have the best goalie depth they've had since 2017 this year. All of Jarry, Nedjelkovic, Hellberg and seemingly Blomqvist (based on his AHL stats so far) seem like they can survive in the NHL.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Hellberg is good, he's a NHL caliber goalie.

The Penguins have the best goalie depth they've had since 2017 this year. All of Jarry, Nedjelkovic, Hellberg and seemingly Blomqvist (based on his AHL stats so far) seem like they can survive in the NHL.

In the limited sample size I don't see Hellberg being NHL level. Things could change, but to me he's in that tier of Torski, Domingue, etc. The more games he gets I think he'll be exposed.

Certainly hope to be wrong and he could be NHL level in time. But right now I'm not seeing it

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Hellberg has made the saves the team has needed him to, he hasnt been spectacular. Jarry can be an all star, problem is that you arent sure which Jarry youll get or if he will be healthy. Kinda like MAF during his time here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In the limited sample size I don't see Hellberg being NHL level. Things could change, but to me he's in that tier of Torski, Domingue, etc. The more games he gets I think he'll be exposed.

Certainly hope to be wrong and he could be NHL level in time. But right now I'm not seeing it

I don't disagree that he's similar to the Tokarski and Domingue tier, but I'm a bit more comfortable with Hellberg than I am with the other ones.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I don't disagree that he's similar to the Tokarski and Domingue tier, but I'm a bit more comfortable with Hellberg than I am with the other ones.

Eh...I don't want to deflate your balloon but eventually we're gonna have the same gripes with Hellberg as we did with those guys. It's a matter of time

Don't want to discount what he's done these past 2 games. Coming in cold and holding a shutout. Giving up 3 goals in a ton of work and only 1 was questionable?
Gotta give the dude props

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Agree, but at least for last night and to a lesser extent for Anaheim, he made some big 3P saves. So that’s a nice switch; Pens need to take anything they can get as far as clutch goaltending goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad