Any Jarry Defenders Left?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Nah I can’t agree with this. Re-signing Jarry was absolutely the right move, but it should have been a short term deal that could be moved if it didn’t pan out.
Why was it the right move? We're 3-6 with Jarry as our guy and he's been a large part of why we're losing games. How is keeping him, even on a short term, absolutely the right move? Are we 2-7 or 1-8 with a different starter? And even if so, does it matter at the end of the day? Last is last and at least we wouldn't have to deal with Jarry's unclutch play every other game.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Didn’t Dubas say he was going off of the recommendations from staff with the Jarry deal? Wouldn’t it be stupid to potentially handcuff yourself to a player for 5 years that could be a pretty crippling anchor contract based off of info from other people when you were brought in to save the day?
I'm guessing he meant for behind-the-scenes stuff, like Jarry's injuries or his off-ice work ethic..

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why was it the right move? We're 3-6 with Jarry as our guy and he's been a large part of why we're losing games. How is keeping him, even on a short term, absolutely the right move? Are we 2-7 or 1-8 with a different starter? And even if so, does it matter at the end of the day? Last is last and at least we wouldn't have to deal with Jarry's unclutch play every other game.

Because the UFA goalie market sucked ass so going with a worse option for the sake of change would have been the wrong decision.

He should have gotten a 1 or 2 year deal and Dubas should have been constantly looking in the goalie market to see if there was a better option.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Anyone else? I'd have taken any "middling" starter on a 1 or 2 year deal over Jarry. Hell, I would have run with a Ned/DeSmith duo and see if you can add during the season over committing 5 years to Mr. Unclutch.
Said it the day of the Jarry signing and I got clowned for it, glad to see people are coming to their senses here. The best part of that route is it would have given us more flexibility to continue looking for options on the market, assessing again at UFA this upcoming summer, etc. But with the Jarry signing all of that is done. The rest of the HOF guys' careers are chained to Jagoff Jarry now.

The worst part is the Jarry deal is rumored to be the same offer Hextall + the Pens org gave him earlier in the '22/'23 campaign. Which means Jarry's agent took Dubas out to lunch.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
He should have gotten a 1 or 2 year deal and Dubas should have been constantly looking in the goalie market to see if there was a better option.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that 1 or 2 years was not on the table. Dubas & co had a massive panic moment when other options fell through on UFA and retreated back to the original offer Hextall gave. Game, set, match - Tristan Jarry's agent.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Didn’t Dubas say he was going off of the recommendations from staff with the Jarry deal?
Code name for I'm busy sniffing Mike Grier's ass all summer, so let's defer to the original offer on the table for Jarry. Doobler's like an HFBoards poster, he doesn't think the goalie position matters.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Anyone else? I'd have taken any "middling" starter on a 1 or 2 year deal over Jarry. Hell, I would have run with a Ned/DeSmith duo and see if you can add during the season over committing 5 years to Mr. Unclutch.
Ned and DeSmith is not a middling starter. Those are backup goalies.

Joonas Korpisalo (career backup: still got 5 years at 4mm), Frederik Andersen (made of glass), Semyon Varlamov (got 4 years as a 35+ contract) were the other guys you might consider middling starter available on July 1st.

Reactions: Pens1566

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I've always hated the "we can move him if it doesn't work out" caveat to signing a player. If he sucks so much that you have to try and trade him shortly after signing, who is gonna want him? :laugh: You're gonna have to lose an asset to find a taker, and with the way cap space is weaponized nowadays, it's probably not gonna be cheap. So realistically, you're stuck with a guy more often than not.

This is not a shot at you @Empoleon8771 fwiw. Just in general. I've just heard it forever when it comes to hockey and it never seems to end up being realistic. I remember tweets from people we'd consider relatively competent about Jack Johnson's contract not being bad at all and that at like $3.25 million AAV, he'd be easily tradable. :laugh:

I don't really care what his statline reads, or whether he was selected to some dork ass All-Star game years ago. Jarry can't make a big save if his life depended on it, he's had injury woes throughout his short career, he's inconsistent and volatile as MAF ever was but without the ceiling. I don't know, I'm probably being unrealistic but the Jarry deal cannot be explained away as making sense because it was dumb as shit then, and it'll be dumb as shit until it runs its course or the team buys him out.

Personally, I'd have thrown assets at the Coyotes to see if Vejmelka could be pried outta there. Maybe not realistic, ah well. It's done, Jarry's here and he'll be a headache until he's no longer in net for this team.

-edit- Very few goalies signed short term deals iirc. We weren't gonna see Jarry accept like a two year deal. It was sign him for the five years that seems customary for goalies nowadays, or try to cobble together a couple of backups and see what happens.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
0x0.jpg

Craig Oster (Jarry's agent). Christ man. He looks like a damn James Bond villain.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I dunno the answer but I do know it's not Jarry.

Gibson was the guy i wanted 2 years ago, and even last year. Not sure the deal there anymore, or if it would work out for us now. But we have to try something different. We already know how this saga ends

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Ned and DeSmith is not a middling starter. Those are backup goalies.

Joonas Korpisalo (career backup: still got 5 years at 4mm), Frederik Andersen (made of glass), Semyon Varlamov (got 4 years as a 35+ contract) were the other guys you might consider middling starter available on July 1st.

And yet Jarry is giving us the same results as this duo

Don't come at me with SV % or records. Goaltending is about timely saves and Jarry can't come up with 1. He basically blew his wad a couple games ago vs Colorado.

Wonder why we led the league in blown leads? Wonder why we couldn't lock it down last night?
Been 1 constant in net...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that 1 or 2 years was not on the table. Dubas & co had a massive panic moment when other options fell through on UFA and retreated back to the original offer Hextall gave. Game, set, match - Tristan Jarry's agent.

Then you don’t sign Jarry if he doesn’t sign that kind of term. Not like there were a lot of teams looking for goalies in UFA.

If Jarry wouldn’t sign a short term deal, then you’d go after someone worse in UFA. Hell, I actually would have tried to trade for Fleury last summer if it was possible.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I've always hated the "we can move him if it doesn't work out" caveat to signing a player. If he sucks so much that you have to try and trade him shortly after signing, who is gonna want him? :laugh: You're gonna have to lose an asset to find a taker, and with the way cap space is weaponized nowadays, it's probably not gonna be cheap. So realistically, you're stuck with a guy more often than not.

This is not a shot at you @Empoleon8771 fwiw. Just in general. I've just heard it forever when it comes to hockey and it never seems to end up being realistic. I remember tweets from people we'd consider relatively competent about Jack Johnson's contract not being bad at all and that at like $3.25 million AAV, he'd be easily tradable. :laugh:

I don't really care what his statline reads, or whether he was selected to some dork ass All-Star game years ago. Jarry can't make a big save if his life depended on it, he's had injury woes throughout his short career, he's inconsistent and volatile as MAF ever was but without the ceiling. I don't know, I'm probably being unrealistic but the Jarry deal cannot be explained away as making sense because it was dumb as shit then, and it'll be dumb as shit until it runs its course or the team buys him out.

Personally, I'd have thrown assets at the Coyotes to see if Vejmelka could be pried outta there. Maybe not realistic, ah well. It's done, Jarry's here and he'll be a headache until he's no longer in net for this team.

-edit- Very few goalies signed short term deals iirc. We weren't gonna see Jarry accept like a two year deal. It was sign him for the five years that seems customary for goalies nowadays, or try to cobble together a couple of backups and see what happens.
Vejmelka, like Hellebuyck, was rumored to be very pricey over the summer. My guess is Dubas saw those guys as too pricey as they wouldn't allow him to pull off his EK65 masterplan.

Still, if the EK65 trade was priority 1 (which I get - not only from what it brought back but what we sent out) - we still could have elected to go a different direction at goalie. That's on Doobler & co.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Vejmelka, like Hellebuyck, was rumored to be very pricey over the summer. My guess is Dubas saw those guys as too pricey as they wouldn't allow him to pull off his EK65 masterplan.

Still, if the EK65 trade was priority 1 (which I get - not only from what it brought back but what we sent out) - we still could have elected to go a different direction at goalie. That's on Doobler & co.

I've said this before, but it's becoming scarily apparent that Dubas doesn't understand goalie value from his time in Toronto and signing Jarry to this dum dum contract

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Spending big on a goalie is stupid imo. Either in assets or cap space. It's one thing if you have a homegrown talent like Vasi who is a perennial Vezina front runner. It's another to trade for a guy like Hellebuyck who was reported to cost a ton, or to try and sign somebody like the Panthers did with Bob.

Looking it up out of curiosity, Hellebuyck's stats aren't really impressive this season so far at below .900 sv% and right around 3GAA. I'm sure he'll settle down because he's a very good goalie, but still.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sideline

May 23, 2004
And yet Jarry is giving us the same results as this duo

Don't come at me with SV % or records. Goaltending is about timely saves and Jarry can't come up with 1. He basically blew his wad a couple games ago vs Colorado.

Wonder why we led the league in blown leads? Wonder why we couldn't lock it down last night?
Been 1 constant in net...
Ned has a win against the second worst team in hockey. The only other two wins this team has are Jarry shutouts. You seriously going to tell me Ned wins that Avalanche game?

The Penguins are not a Jonas Korpisalo away from winning games.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I've said this before, but it's becoming scarily apparent that Dubas doesn't understand goalie value from his time in Toronto and signing Jarry to this dum dum contract
He came exactly as advertised on that front. At least he was honest about it - admitted he deferred to staff decision on Jarry (because he was too busy sending love letters to Grier).

Now for some optimism for once. Doobler managed to ship out a freshly pooped-pants Mikael Granlund with CDS, Rutta, Petry all in one 3-way trade. If he can pull that off, maybe he can make nice with the 18 teams not on Jarry's NMC.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Adin Hill got less AAV and term than Jarry somehow. After proving his mettle by helping his team win a Stanley Cup.

There is always a risk with goalies but giving a long term contract to a goalie who is ridiculously unclutch, knowing that your team is going to be rebuilding soon is just dumb, period. Trade some picks, get a new goalie and roll the dice. If it doesn't work, try again. If that doesn't work either, tank. It's insanity trying the same thing and expecting different results against all odds. Same as keeping Sully as coach. He and Jarry are what they are, they ain't changing barring a miracle of Biblical proportions. Yet Pens GMs keep expecting said miracle to happen. I just don't get it.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Then you don’t sign Jarry if he doesn’t sign that kind of term. Not like there were a lot of teams looking for goalies in UFA.

If Jarry wouldn’t sign a short term deal, then you’d go after someone worse in UFA. Hell, I actually would have tried to trade for Fleury last summer if it was possible.
Yeah i despise MAF, but yes, he would be an upgrade on the current situation

Reactions: Zbynek

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Ned has a win against the second worst team in hockey. The only other two wins this team has are Jarry shutouts. You seriously going to tell me Ned wins that Avalanche game?

The Penguins are not a Jonas Korpisalo away from winning games.

I didn't say they were, but they aren't a TJ away from winning games either. As I said in an earlier post. I don't think it's hard to find another goalie to give up 4 goals against a terrible team. Why spend premium money for these kinds of results?

This is about opportunity cost and TJ is costing us almost $4M compared to the goalies I would have ran with.
Do you know what we could do with that extra money?

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I've been saying this for years. Jarry has 1 great game and five bad to mediocre games in a cycle. We have 3 more starts before his great game.

He normally starts this cycle around January 1, so he started it early.

Because the UFA goalie market sucked ass so going with a worse option for the sake of change would have been the wrong decision.

It was unequivocally the wrong move. They could have spent $5m on nedjeclkovich and Hellberg and been in the same spot, with money left for another impact forward. Now we are tied down to a much worse marc andre Fleury. It was not like it wasn't known at the time either, we knew what Jarry was.

• Love
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I didn't say they were, but they aren't a TJ away from winning games either. As I said in an earlier post. I don't think it's hard to find another goalie to give up 4 goals against a terrible team. Why spend premium money for these kinds of results?

This is about opportunity cost and TJ is costing us almost $4M compared to the goalies I would have ran with.
Do you know what we could do with that extra money?
Tell me which goalie you would have signed on July first instead. Korpisalo got it 5 years at 4MM. Varlmov got 4 years at 2.75MM on a 35+ contract.

If you want to make an opportunity cost argument you need to actually say which alternative you are comparing too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad