Speculation: Any Free Agents in Town?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
55 million or so in cap space next year and hardly any people to pay. Its super odd if he isn't going to sell.
Look ,EM isnt a stupid man,he is looking out after his end...I have maintained this ,by him gutting the team it limits his expense while he is exploring his sale options...

Conversely,any new owner will have cut a large cheque to buy the team...And will want to control spending for the first little while ,and not want to be pressured into spending gobs more cash right away... Hense waiting until after the big ticket items are off the board,to announce a sale just seems logical........BTW,Its kinda nice not to have to rumble each time we talk

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Probably just sign Gibbons and Lindberg. Then trade for a bad contract and acquire some picks.
I definitely do not think that the GM or the org should be listening to fans when it comes to roster construction, however, the organization has an opportunity to try and create at least a little bit of buzz amongst the city by either signing a player who has name value or drafting an exciting forward that people can look forward to (Kalyiev), but instead, the moves they make continue to be head scratchers and they continue to drive more fans further and further away.

Again, I am not saying they need to sign a big flashy free agent, but Gibbons and Lindberg do not move the needle very much, this org needs to do something the fans can look at as a positive and not something we can continue to pile on.

Reactions: GoodGoodnotBad

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
He has gone off the board (rightly or wrongly) with basically every pick that he has ever made. Trusting him with potentially the first or second pick in next year's draft is dangerous, even though the top few guys are no-brainers. I can totally see Dorion passing on Lafreniere , just because...

Oh, please. He didn't go off the board with Brady. He didn't go off the board with Bowers. He didn't go off the board with Logan Brown.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Oh, please. He didn't go off the board with Brady. He didn't go off the board with Bowers. He didn't go off the board with Logan Brown.

From interviews with scouts immediately post draft last year, we know that BT would not have lasted past #6 overall. Detroit would have taken him in a nanosecond. BT was not a reach at #4 - a number of scouts had him placed exactly there...

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
From interviews with scouts immediately post draft last year, we know that BT would not have lasted past #6 overall. Detroit would have taken him in a nanosecond. BT was not a reach at #4 - a number of scouts had him placed exactly there...

A lot of scouts had him at 3. But then the Habs reached.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I still believe the new ownership will be announced ,after all the big names and big cap dumps have been moved...
And the logic being? Guys were saying that it was going to happen after the season ended or before the draft, what’s with the timing of an announcement? IMO, a deal happens when it happens. I don’t see the point in waiting. If EM wanted to sell the team, he would have already.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
And the logic being? Guys were saying that it was going to happen after the season ended or before the draft, what’s with the timing of an announcement? IMO, a deal happens when it happens. I don’t see the point in waiting. If EM wanted to sell the team, he would have already.

I agree.

All this "just wait until X happens, then Melnyk will sell!" is all wishful thinking.

I've fully given up, it will happen when it happens.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I have heard/read rumblings about every NHL team regarding FAs, trades, buyouts, etc. Not one from the Ottawa Senators. Spin it any way you want, but the fact that Dorion/Melnyk aren't involved in any cap dump scenarios where they can pick up an asset, or have not yet traded Harpur or Ceci, is more proof that Dorion is just quite incapable of running a professional hockey org.

It's crazy that after all this time, there's still people who think Dorion is running this team...

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It's crazy that after all this time, there's still people who think Dorion is running this team...

I doubt Melnyk forced him to trade for Burrows and give him a contract. I doubt Melnyk forced him to make the Duchene trade also, and the Zack Smith contract.

And the Mike Hoffman trade where he could've easily just traded him for picks instead of a useless player making 4M a year.

Dorion is a moron let's not take that away from him, he's worked hard for his reputation.

The 2.5M he gave to Burrows and the 3M he gave to Smith could've easily been given to Zibanejad instead of trading him away with a 2nd for an older and inferior player.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I doubt Melnyk forced him to trade for Burrows and give him a contract. I doubt Melnyk forced him to make the Duchene trade also, and the Zack Smith contract.

And the Mike Hoffman trade where he could've easily just traded him for picks instead of a useless player making 4M a year.

Dorion is a moron let's not take that away from him, he's worked hard for his reputation.

The 2.5M he gave to Burrows and the 3M he gave to Smith could've easily been given to Zibanejad instead of trading him away with a 2nd for an older and inferior player.

Zibanejad was traded because the team didn’t want to pay the amount of money he would command, given the type of player we had trending to becoming.

They didn’t need 3 million from Burrows to sign Zib. They could have been below the cap and they still would have traded him away.

Zib was looking to be a very skilled, wildly inconsistent player with a tendency to not focus on his training in the off season, and they had to make a decision on a lot of money for a long time.

We were looking to make some noise in the playoffs, and Zib was not looked at by many as a clutch player, or someone who had an extra gear to his game. Brassard was all of those things at the time, and was widely accepted as being the then better player, at the time, which is what we needed.

It’s a myth that Zib was traded because we couldn’t afford him, we didn’t want to pay him what he was going to command, and I personally agree with PD on that one. I would also have been very hesitant to pay the EK and Stone deals given the history of both players.

Zib was at the right age for a big long contract to eat up his prime years, he just wasn’t the right player to make part of our core.

Burrows was just as bad as everyone else in his second year, but signing him didn’t prevent us from keeping Zib, or anyone else for that matter.

That’s how I see it :)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Zibanejad was traded because the team didn’t want to pay the amount of money he would command, given the type of player we had trending to becoming.

They didn’t need 3 million from Burrows to sign Zib. They could have been below the cap and they still would have traded him away.

Zib was looking to be a very skilled, wildly inconsistent player with a tendency to not focus on his training in the off season, and they had to make a decision on a lot of money for a long time.

We were looking to make some noise in the playoffs, and Zib was not looked at by many as a clutch player, or someone who had an extra gear to his game. Brassard was all of those things at the time, and was widely accepted as being the then better player, at the time, which is what we needed.

It’s a myth that Zib was traded because we couldn’t afford him, we didn’t want to pay him what he was going to command, and I personally agree with PD on that one. I would also have been very hesitant to pay the EK and Stone deals given the history of both players.

Zib was at the right age for a big long contract to eat up his prime years, he just wasn’t the right player to make part of our core.

Burrows was just as bad as everyone else in his second year, but signing him didn’t prevent us from keeping Zib, or anyone else for that matter.

That’s how I see it :)

I respect your view, but the fact is that we traded a 24 year old #2C that signed a 5M a year contract and immediately developped into a #1C and also added a 2nd rounder for a player that was inferior. Any way you slice it, it's a bad deal. One way they just simply didn't get enough for Zibanejad, the other they simply made a terrible call or terrible evaluation of his potential in order to decide to trade him for Brassard. Zibanejad is currently on one of the best contracts in the entire league.

And to go back to the initial topic, that's still only one thing, there are many other moves or signings that Dorion did all by himself that were terrible. Melnyk is a bad owner, but PD is without a doubt a bad GM as well. The fact that Melnyk is a bad owner doesn't excuse the bad moves he's made.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Lewler

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Lol ,there is little left to hope for.....EM if he remains will have to spend what little profit he makes on tarps....The team as whole can not continue to function this way,so something has to give....My guess is that its a sale

348p8w.jpg

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I respect your view, but the fact is that we traded a 24 year old #2C that signed a 5M a year contract and immediately developped into a #1C and also added a 2nd rounder for a player that was inferior. Any way you slice it, it's a bad deal. One way they just simply didn't get enough for Zibanejad, the other they simply made a terrible call or terrible evaluation of his potential in order to decide to trade him for Brassard.

And to go back to the initial topic, that's still only one thing, there are many other moves or signings that Dorion did all by himself that were terrible. Melnyk is a bad owner, but PD is without a doubt a bad GM as well. The fact that Melnyk is a bad owner doesn't excuse the bad moves he's made.

I don’t have a glowing view of Zib, though he’s a good player no doubt. To me he falls into that category that you can’t win with him as your #1 C. So now he’ll go out and prove me wrong! Haha...

PD runs the team, I’m with you there. I think he’s had to be creative with money in and money out, given that we have a budget, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s also had to validate some of the expenses even if they were still under budget, but I don’t agree that he’s made terrible trades. Some good, some bad, but I’m super good that Zib is gone.

At the time, most if not all professionals felt that Brassard was the better player. He’s definitely not anymore, but we didn’t need today’s Zib today, we needed that years ago.

If you look around, teams trade potential all the time for ‘now’ players when they want to try and make some damage in the playoffs, that is the point in the end; too win. Brass helped us have an epic run, and I am personally good with that.

I can respect that other fans would have preferred to have kept Zib, I’m just not one of them. :)

As for “bad GM without a doubt”, it’s a popular but not universal opinion, thus doubt.

Reactions: Boud

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I would like Brandon Tanev please, he scored twice against us so we are probably targetting him ala boedker :\ . At least targetting in this fashion leaves us a lot of targets.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Some long time fans here and we all know we don't sign anyone importance during Free Agency. We may trade some away though...lol

We sign the AHL fillers and fringe players or near retired players and PD will talk them up like they are key to our rebuilding.

If we sign Spezza and a Methot type of player (on his last leg) that will be huge for us and be done for the summer. Even Chris Kelly is so bored of this team he would rather stay home with the kids....ha,ha

I will buy season tickets if Melynk sells this team but that crazy old fart is going to haunt us for a while. If he was in sell mode he would let it leak that their is 10 potential buyers in order to drive the sale price up a penny.

Ottawa is a small town and our POHO will leak stuff if needed as directed by his boss EM or the janitor will let us know.

We are in rebuild mode, all they care about is reaching the cap, with the potential of lockout, expansion coming these guys are just loading up the cupboards with prospects on the farm till those pass or we get sold.

This team is at such a all-time low that Belleville maybe better then our NHL team this year.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Dohrion went out and traded for all the players Murray wanted over the past years but couldn't.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Don't forget the Condon and Andy extensions.

Reactions: branch

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Dohrion has proved he can draft. It's everything else he as sucks at.

Outside of the bullet proof pick as Brady Tkachuk, Dorion did not draft yet any NHL players as scout or GM.
The last three years of his drafting as GM.
Logan Brown
Jonathan Dahlén
Todd Burgess
Maxime Lajoie
Markus Nurmi
Shane Bowers
Alex Formenton
Drake Batherson
Jordan Hollett
Brady Tkachuk
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Jonny Tychonick Defence
Jonathan Gruden
Angus Crookshank
Kevin Mandolese
Jakov Novak
For example. Steve Yezerman in the last 8 years with Tampa Bay Ligtning, produced 13 NHL players.
Brett Connolly
Radko Gudas
Vladislav Namestnikov
Nikita Kucherov
Ondřej Palát
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Cédric Paquette
Jonathan Drouin
Adam Erne
Tony DeAngelo
Brayden Point
Anthony Cirelli
Brett Howden

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Outside of the bullet proof pick as Brady Tkachuk, Dorion did not draft yet any NHL players as scout or GM.
The last three years of his drafting as GM.
Logan Brown
Jonathan Dahlén
Todd Burgess
Maxime Lajoie
Markus Nurmi
Shane Bowers
Alex Formenton
Drake Batherson
Jordan Hollett
Brady Tkachuk
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Jonny Tychonick Defence
Jonathan Gruden
Angus Crookshank
Kevin Mandolese
Jakov Novak
For example. Steve Yezerman in the last 8 years with Tampa Bay Ligtning, produced 13 NHL players.
Brett Connolly
Radko Gudas
Vladislav Namestnikov
Nikita Kucherov
Ondřej Palát
Andrei Vasilevskiy
Cédric Paquette
Jonathan Drouin
Adam Erne
Tony DeAngelo
Brayden Point
Anthony Cirelli