Speculation: Any Free Agents in Town?

Ygg

Feb 2, 2017
I'm not too sure if we can make it a speculation thread or if someone already started another thread regarding this, but considering free agent period started yesterday and teams can call pending free agents, and these players can come visit the teams, does anyone know if players have been contacted by Ottawa and/or are scheduled to come in the nation's capital?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Apparently according to the POHO we are only looking at 1-2 free agent 'veterans'. No idea who it is, all we know that it's not Jason Spezza.

Reactions: branch

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I have heard/read rumblings about every NHL team regarding FAs, trades, buyouts, etc. Not one from the Ottawa Senators. Spin it any way you want, but the fact that Dorion/Melnyk aren't involved in any cap dump scenarios where they can pick up an asset, or have not yet traded Harpur or Ceci, is more proof that Dorion is just quite incapable of running a professional hockey org.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I have heard/read rumblings about every NHL team regarding FAs, trades, buyouts, etc. Not one from the Ottawa Senators. Spin it any way you want, but the fact that Dorion/Melnyk aren't involved in any cap dump scenarios where they can pick up an asset, or have not yet traded Harpur or Ceci, is more proof that Dorion is just quite incapable of running a professional hockey org.
We could really push the timetable up with taking on some cap issues from other teams,for picks....But Iam sure we will be told we tried,but couldnt get things done....My guess is that the team is sold after the big stuff is gone,and the new owners will start the actual rebuild next summer

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Anyone who was paying attention already knew EM wasn't going to eat contracts at full value. I still expect to see the team in on guys after July 1st. There's gonna be a whole summer for outrage, let's wait ~10 days before we get too upset. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a deal on July 1st that's based around Harpur for Clarkson+ that would "fix" most of what you had issue with.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
We could really push the timetable up with taking on some cap issues from other teams,for picks....But Iam sure we will be told we tried,but couldnt get things done....My guess is that the team is sold after the big stuff is gone,and the new owners will start the actual rebuild next summer
Next year's draft is HUGE for this organization, having Dorion run the 2020 draft will put this org even further down a hole.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I still believe the new ownership will be announced ,after all the big names and big cap dumps have been moved...

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Anyone who was paying attention already knew EM wasn't going to eat contracts at full value. I still expect to see the team in on guys after July 1st. There's gonna be a whole summer for outrage, let's wait ~10 days before we get too upset. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a deal on July 1st that's based around Harpur for Clarkson+ that would "fix" most of what you had issue with.
I agree with everything you are saying, however, the insiders are usually in on this stuff, and so far, not a peep on anything regarding the Ottawa Senators. Anytime you think you know what the Ottawa Senators are gonna do, they do the exact opposite. Its like they are the league's forgotten franchise. The insiders don't even discuss inside information about the Sens on Ottawa radio.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Next year's draft is HUGE for this organization, having Dorion run the 2020 draft will put this org even further down a hole.
He wont be here ,this team is gutted and is prime for a sale...EM has taken away anything of value from it,leaving a cheap shell...For a new owner to come in without pressure to spend right away ....Or to spend it how they see fit

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Hes been a decent draft guy so far. Melnyk telling him that he better get his act together probably means hes done because I doubt its coming together any time soon

Reactions: NorthCoast

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Hes been a decent draft guy so far.
He has gone off the board (rightly or wrongly) with basically every pick that he has ever made. Trusting him with potentially the first or second pick in next year's draft is dangerous, even though the top few guys are no-brainers. I can totally see Dorion passing on Lafreniere , just because...

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I agree with everything you are saying, however, the insiders are usually in on this stuff, and so far, not a peep on anything regarding the Ottawa Senators. Anytime you think you know what the Ottawa Senators are gonna do, they do the exact opposite. Its like they are the league's forgotten franchise. The insiders don't even discuss inside information about the Sens on Ottawa radio.

Honestly, I'm willing to attribute the lack of information (in part) to a lack of leaks in the Sens front office. Easier to keep stuff in house when there's only 2-3 people who know what the hell is going on. I know that fly's in the face of the way the EK stuff was handled, but the organization did a much better job of keeping info in house for the Stone and Duchene sagas. I also think without big names to shop, the Senators are on the back burner a bit in terms of coverage. There's so much for Canadian sports media to focus on (re: Leafs, Oilers, Canucks, ect) that reporting a potential Hossa or Clarkson deal to Ottawa won't drive clicks.

We're obviously aligned when it comes to how we view the organization, and I wouldn't be overly surprised if you're right and nothing of substance ends up happening. I just think it's too early to pass judgement on them at this point, given that a) we already kind of knew the team would be more active post-July 1st bonuses being paid out and b) almost nothing happened in the way of trades on an unusually slow draft weekend. The flood gates could still open up with FA.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I can only recall one player visiting Ottawa ever since the whole UFA courting/interview period was introduced, and that's David Clarkson back in 2013.

In the past 2 or 3 summers, the senators have literally not signed anybody but vets for their AHL franchise and I doubt those are the calibre of free agent that is being flown into a city for a visit beforehand.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I can only recall one player visiting Ottawa ever since the whole UFA courting/interview period was introduced, and that's David Clarkson back in 2013.

In the past 2 or 3 summers, the senators have literally not signed anybody but vets for their AHL franchise and I doubt those are the calibre of free agent that is being flown into a city for a visit beforehand.
Such a nice move by BM,he drove that price up on Toronto big time lol

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

I think Lucic was brought in as well.

I don't expect anything big to happen but do think the Sens will sign at least one known veteran.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
He wont be here ,this team is gutted and is prime for a sale...EM has taken away anything of value from it,leaving a cheap shell...For a new owner to come in without pressure to spend right away ....Or to spend it how they see fit

Dude ur Hope's are a little high melnyk isn't going anywhere

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Dude ur Hope's are a little high melnyk isn't going anywhere
Lol ,there is little left to hope for.....EM if he remains will have to spend what little profit he makes on tarps....The team as whole can not continue to function this way,so something has to give....My guess is that its a sale

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
He has gone off the board (rightly or wrongly) with basically every pick that he has ever made. Trusting him with potentially the first or second pick in next year's draft is dangerous, even though the top few guys are no-brainers. I can totally see Dorion passing on Lafreniere , just because...

I hate the new draft rules crap, we could get stuck with fourth forever.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Lol ,there is little left to hope for.....EM if he remains will have to spend what little profit he makes on tarps....The team as whole can not continue to function this way,so something has to give....My guess is that its a sale

55 million or so in cap space next year and hardly any people to pay. Its super odd if he isn't going to sell.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->