Any fellow Thrashers fans?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i can see how a former thrashers fan would hate the jets

when a team you love moves away and completely rebrands itself like the thrashers did, its hard to still support that team unless you're more a fan of particular players on that team. when the whalers left town, i stopped following that team because they were no longer the whalers, the team i grew up supporting

as for winnipeg fans bashing atlanta fans and the city following the move, it happens all the time when relocation occurs

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I bet you've never even been to Raleigh!! (wonder if anyone will get that)

Where's that thread?

In all seriousness, anyone with animosity toward the city itself is blinded by anger at how bad of a shake the Atlanta market got, losing two teams due to shady dealings by the owners. It also is a bit of an embarrassment that Atlanta, which has a population over 1/7th the size of the entire country of Canada, has lost two teams to Canadian cities that it dwarfs in size. That's not a great look for the league's southern expansion.

But still, hate the team all you want, but don't hate a city

Thrashers were a team who can say were doomed right from the beginning. I hope Atlanta gets another team. I believe that market can work.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Thrashers were a team who can say were doomed right from the beginning. I hope Atlanta gets another team. I believe that market can work.
The demographics and culture of many large southern cities are dramatically shifting. I think a competent NHL franchise could survive in Atlanta. The Preds seem to be looked at pretty highly among outsiders for being a success story for a non-traditional hockey market. That's true, but with that crappy ownership we could've just as easily been the Thrashers and with ours, Atlanta could've just as easily been Nashville.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
The demographics and culture of many large southern cities are dramatically shifting. I think a competent NHL franchise could survive in Atlanta. The Preds seem to be looked at pretty highly among outsiders for being a success story for a non-traditional hockey market. That's true, but with that crappy ownership we could've just as easily been the Thrashers and with ours, Atlanta could've just as easily been Nashville.

Exactly. There's a lot of potential in Atlanta. It will definitely take an owner who know what he's doing, but it's very feasible for a team to take off if it's run correctly.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I have followed the Hawks because of Hossa.

I consider myself more of a hockey fan than anything.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Any locals go to the Gladiator games? Thinking of getting ST's, but not entirely sure they are worth it.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I think the thread was a casualty of recent database purges. :(

I make a point of keeping the Scouting Report online and available, tho.

:laugh:

That is brilliant. That had to take a ton of time to put that together.

It looks like most posters in the draft though fizzled out. Truth be told, I even took 3-4 years off after their departure.

Now I follow Hossa, and ARZ since I do love the city of Phoenix.

It'd be nice to follow a team on EST in the Eastern Conference though.

mattef

consider the following...
May 12, 2014
Montreal, QC
I think people who don’t understand Thrashers fan not being fans of the Jets never had their team taken away from them.

Usually when a team moves, it's preceded by years of hard times, lies, uncertainty... fans aren’t happy and it leaves a bitter taste. Even if it’s a new ownership, it’s just not your team anymore.

For me the Expos didn’t relocate to Washington. They ceased to exist, and the Washington Nationals started playing the following year.

I don’t hate the Washington Nationals per say, but I don’t see any reason to cheer for them either. They have nothing to do with our city anymore.

Last edited:

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I understand. I followed Hossa to Chicago, but while it's definitely not the same, I get a lot of enjoyment out of the sport and being able to get behind a team.

Looking back though, I probably should have gone with my closet team (Nashville), or at least someone in the EST/Eastern Conference.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
After years of watching live NHL games, I just can't bring myself to watch many ECHL games. It's fun to bring my sons to a couple games here and there, but it's bad hockey.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
After years of watching live NHL games, I just can't bring myself to watch many ECHL games. It's fun to bring my sons to a couple games here and there, but it's bad hockey.

That is absolutely the truth.

I remember a game where the Glad Center had 2 breakaways, and slipped and fell on both.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I think people who don’t understand Thrashers fan not being fans of the Jets never had their team taken away from them.

Usually when a team moves, it's preceded by years of hard times, lies, uncertainty... fans aren’t happy and it leaves a bitter taste. Even if it’s a new ownership, it’s just not your team anymore.

For me the Expos didn’t relocate to Washington. They ceased to exist, and the Washington Nationals started playing the following year.

I don’t hate the Washington Nationals per say, but I don’t see any reason to cheer for them either. They have nothing to do with our city anymore.

Former Expos fan here and I feel exactly the same way.

I kind of like the Nationals and Harper, but I don't like them as the former Expos, I just like them as some random MLB team. I don't hold it against the fans of Washington either as they lost two teams of their own years before. I didn't consider remaining a Nationals fan as I have no connection to the city or team but I don't wish any bad things on them, they are just another MLB team.

I can relate to Thrashers fans in that way and hope someday they will get a team back that will be managed properly. Forever is a long time; I don't think it will happen anytime soon but it's too big of a market to ignore forever.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Would be interesting to see what teams those fans are cheering for now, got to think some followed the team to Winnipeg.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Would be interesting to see what teams those fans are cheering for now, got to think some followed the team to Winnipeg.

I doubt many did.

Once I returned to hockey, I followed Hossa to Chicago.

I would imagine most fans went to Nashville (local) or Carolina, maybe even Tampa.

Boston would have been easy since there are a lot of people from Boston that have moved down here, plus our ECHL team is affiliated with the Bruins.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
No can do unfortunately. My ex was a Hawks fan and her new bf was a Red Wings fan. Those 2 are no way. Sorry just couldn't do that.

Haven't read through this whole thread but an excellent rival to those teams past and present is the St. Louis Blues.

They are a very fun team and you won't be called a bandwaggoner because we have no cups. Looks like one could be in the future soon though.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Would be interested to see if any Thrashers fans will be in attendance if the Jets play the Predators in the playoffs.
I have to imagine there are some Atlanta fans happy to see some of these guys where they are right now...though the roster is completely different than when it was in Atlanta...still some names there that fans follow and loved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad