Any chance Toews and Kane get their 4th cup before they retire?

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Only if the Hawks trade them to accelerate their rebuild. Their roster looks pretty bleak, and by the time their younger players do develop, Kane and Toews will be on the downside of their careers.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Very unlikely.... but if they can make the big dance I wouldn't factor them out.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Am I the only one who read that title as Anakin asking the question and Palpatine looking at him and saying "not with the Blackhawks."?

That said, it's sports, anything can happen. As we know, the cap can only go up!(/s). As the Hawks themselves showed during their dynasty, you don't need, and can't rely on, top picks to win - Toews and Kane, sure, but Keith, Crow, Byfuglien, Bolland, Bickell, Hjalmarsson, Saad, etc. were all 2nd round or later picks.Dach and Boqvist look like real players. They can't be losing trades(*cough*Nylander for Jokiharju*cough*) or making bad signings. They need to be very careful and have a real plan, unlike the last couple years. No more "maybe next year" but set a goal 2 or 3 years out and work towards it with a focused plan.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Kane is still a superstar and more than good enough to bring a team a cup but Toews is the one who has fallen off a cliff.

He's a third line center on a contender IMO, although a very overpriced third line center.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Kane is still a superstar and more than good enough to bring a team a cup but Toews is the one who has fallen off a cliff.

He's a third line center on a contender IMO, although a very overpriced third line center.
Toews is a 2LC at worst at this point in his career.
3LC is not far off but not yet my friend .. not yet.
And to answer the OP ... yes I can see a 4th up for Kane and Toews in Chicago .. but more than a few things have to fall into place.
I think they miss the PO's again this year for sure .. draft in the top 10 and come back next year with a PO appearance. It will be the next season where we could see a deeper run and then who knows ...

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
They need to land a top 3 pick this year and have that pick pan out quickly. They also need Boqvist to develop into a #1. And Seabrook needs to hit LTIRetirement..

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
But, even if that doesn't happen, they could be traded at some point.

Chicago trading Toews is as likely as Buddhism trading Buddha, Christianity trading Jesus and Islam trading the Prophet Mohammed all on the same evening.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Not impossible, but watching them currently, they do not seem to be anywhere near that level at this point. I don't follow the team enough to know the specific issues, but they don't seem to have the speed and dominance they once had. I think that core had their run, and a great run it was.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015

3C hahaha he may not be worth 10.5 (more like $8) but is still top 20-25 centre which means a 1C and 2C if the contender has a better 1C.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Toews is overpaid by about $3M — no argument.

Kane is worth every cent of his deal.
Quite a bit less I’d say. Half. He is still a 1C. That’s worth at least 9.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Dont have the goalies
Yeah, that’s the problem.

Its actually quite astonishing to me, listening to people who don’t watch the hawks talk about them. They get plenty of press and national coverage. How can you be so clueless?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If they get a 1st this season that's high and another 1st next season, they could use a 1st after that to trade as much of Seabrook's contract as they can. Kane should still be a star, Toews will probably be overpaid. If Dach and Boqvist develop well, they could have a run.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The Blues Avs and Oilers will be too busy keeping teams like the hawks in the basement the next 5 years. Their time is over. Once they get a few top draft picks the cycle will start again. I give them a few seasons of being a wild card bubble team then prepare for the hard times hawk fans. It lasts a long time.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
What people tend to forget is the roster of those Hawks teams wasn't just "Toews and Kane". It was a monstrous, Norris/Conn Smythe winning Duncan Keith. A 2 way beast in Marion Hossa. A Brent Seabrook who was actually a really good hockey player. Super solid Hjalmarsson. And Crawford. A lot of things came together for the Hawks from 2010 - 2015.

It's clearly a team is that is lacking an identity right now, and probably will spend another year or two wandering the wilderness.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
The Blues Avs and Oilers will be too busy keeping teams like the hawks in the basement the next 5 years. Their time is over. Once they get a few top draft picks the cycle will start again. I give them a few seasons of being a wild card bubble team then prepare for the hard times hawk fans. It lasts a long time.

Oilers keeping someone in the basement?

image.jpg

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
They need someone like Lafreniere on an ELC to do it soon IMO. However, if they are smart in accumulating futures and hit on enough of them, I believe they can win a Cup with Kane and Toews around 5 years from now. Any team can make that claim now though, actually putting all of it together is a tall task.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad