Any chance Toews and Kane get their 4th cup before they retire?

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
I would rate it as unlikely. There are way too many anchors on that team to make it competitive, and they both have contracts that are more expensive than the value they provide, which makes it unlikely another team could fit them in and be competitive.

NHL1995

Dec 9, 2019
"You guys have done well since I was president" Obama after the hawks won their third cup during his presidency.

In all seriousness, they haven't won a playoff round since 2015. Made the playoffs but lost in the first round the next two years. The last two years, they missed the playoffs.

It's pretty clear what their trajectory is at the moment (and it's not good).

Unless they draft/trade really well or sign big-name free agents, I just don't see it happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
not likely to happen in Chicago unless significant moves are made in the offseason

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Any? Absolutely. One, Chicago could rebound. This league can switch quickly. But, even if that doesn't happen, they could be traded at some point.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It will all depend on development of Dach , Boqvist and others in coming years

Hawks are likely to get another top 10 pick this year to add to pipeline

I could see them getting another down line as they are winding down if things go right

More then likely they wont especially when you consider most players never even get one so the odds are heavily against them

deepthoughtsleafs

Oct 14, 2018
Technically the answer is an obvious yes since anyone of them could just join a championship contending team and win the cup but I'm going to interpret this question as if you're asking if they can win the cup with them being the best players/carrying the team.

That answer is an obvious NO then. Neither are good enough and neither have the supporting cast to obtain such an achievement. They had their fame and glory and now it's to fade away into oblivion and obscurity. Plain and simple.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
They could, though it probably won't happen till the two of them are basically 3rd liners with an influx of youth ahead of them.

The sooner the team stops chasing the playoffs and embraces a full rebuild around them, the better their chances of winning another cup in Chicago are.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I would rate it as unlikely. There are way too many anchors on that team to make it competitive, and they both have contracts that are more expensive than the value they provide, which makes it unlikely another team could fit them in and be competitive.

Right now? Kane's definitely worth his contract so far?

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I think they do. But they won't be the key reasons for it. Both are going to retire Hawks IMO. They have some good young players coming in and they are going to be picking top 10 for the next few years as the young guys develop. With the draft lottery anything is possible. Imagine they bellow out and win Lafreniere this year? Instant playoff team next year and it would be a team I would not want to face.

Kane and Toews have so much playoff experience to pass down to these kids. They just need to find a way to unload Seabrook ASAP to have useful cap space because as useful as Toews is he is not worth that contract right now, nor will he be moving forward.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
The NHL is simply getting more talent in the league that are really good. Having one or two talents like Kane and Toews although he to me is not in the Sid and Geno level gives them a starting point. But it is unlikely that the Hawks win a cup as of right now.

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
I don't think so.
Personally when it comes to hockey I really miss the Blackhawk's recent golden days.
Was just awesome hockey to watch, especially the playoffs.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Sure, if Kane/Toews are willing take far less than $10M/yr when their deals are up in 2023. In the meantime, very unlikely. It is hard to win when you have so much money tied up in a few players, even if they deserve the money. Cf. Bruins, Boston.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City

Toews is overpaid by about $3M — no argument.

Kane is worth every cent of his deal.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
They’re getting up there in age and will be leaving their prime soon. If they both stay on the hawks and the young guys develop I think they can win another cup before their contract runs out.

Reactions: qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad