Any chance Ottawa misses the playoffs?

Major19

Mar 9, 2008
No, it's because there's people like you who can't shut up about the Leafs for more than a few minutes. I don't give a **** about the 2014 Leafs, nobody does except you. What the hell do the 2014 Leafs have anything to do with the discussion? Absolutely nothing, yet you insist on making everything about the Leafs. And then you'll go and whine in another thread about "everyone hates the Leafs!!" Yeah no ****, you wonder why?

I don't wonder why everyone hates the Leafs. It's because they're the centre of the hockey universe. It's awesome

missingjibbsclub

Bobby Heaters
Oct 26, 2016
London ON
Nothing pisses you off more than knowing that Ryan is making 7 mil/year. He was never really that great of a player why would you throw that much money at him. What a waste

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The clock is ticking on Tampa.
Anything can happen but it's looking more and more like the Bruins, Leafs and Sens grabbing those spots.

Tonight could be the turning point.

Tampa vs. Boston (huge for all teams)
Detroit vs. Ottawa
Washington vs. Toronto

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Nothing pisses you off more than knowing that Ryan is making 7 mil/year. He was never really that great of a player why would you throw that much money at him. What a waste

former-ottawa-senators-gm-bryan-murray-has-a-laugh-at-a-fu.jpeg

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

He scored 30 goals four times in a row coming to Ottawa, and was pacing for 35+ goals at the midway point of his first season before getting injured and struggling through the rest of the season.

In hindsight, it was a bad move, but the Sens paid the price to lock up an elite winger at the time, when they were beginning to develop a reputation of losing star players.

missingjibbsclub

Bobby Heaters
Oct 26, 2016
London ON
He scored 30 goals four times in a row coming to Ottawa, and was pacing for 35+ goals at the midway point of his first season before getting injured and struggling through the rest of the season.

In hindsight, it was a bad move, but the Sens paid the price to lock up an elite winger at the time, when they were beginning to develop a reputation of losing star players.

I don't think a 60 point player is worth 7 mil but...that's just me

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think a 60 point player is worth 7 mil but...that's just me

I think all agree with that. The problem is there were a lot of factors that went into it.

Ryan had four >30 goal seasons under his belt, a 71 pts season, and a season where he paced at 73 pts. His last season in Anaheim was apparently derailed by a virus that caused him issues all year.

His first year in Ottawa started off great, with 25 pts and 13 goals in his first 26 games (79 pts and 41 goal pace), however he suffered a hernia at some point in November, and cooled off drastically before getting shut down for the season. The team clearly felt that with the increased role he was getting in Ottawa, along with better health, he'd be an impact player.

Expectations at the time were that the salary cap was going to explode, some projected it to reach ~100 mil by next year. At the time, 7.5 mil was not expected to go as far as it does today.

And, Ottawa had just lost it's captain, it couldn't afford to let Ryan walk to UFA.

Hindsight being what it is, the contract was and is terrible. Foresight told us it was risky, but I doubt anyone thought he's struggle this much (though the guy has been ravaged by injuries, be it hernia or multiple broken fingers).

As for whether Ottawa could miss the playoffs, it comes down to health. If they can stay healthy (ie not lose more guys) they have a good chance of holding on. They only need 5 more points in 4 games to seal a spot up regardless of what everyone else does.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Don't you mean it's the fans and media who think they're the centre of the hockey universe?

I'll just say this... HFboards went down when the Leafs traded Enroth for a 7th... No other team has fans that want to see the Leafs fail as much as general fans do.

Many, many fans would prefer their own team misses the playoffs if it makes the Leafs miss as well.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll just say this... HFboards went down when the Leafs traded Enroth for a 7th... No other team has fans that want to see the Leafs fail as much as general fans do.

Many, many fans would prefer their own team misses the playoffs if it makes the Leafs miss as well.

Maybe it's because they take over every thread on the site.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I think they are relatively safe but if Bos/Tb game is a three pointer and Ottawa lose in regulation then things change quickly.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
They'll make it but they won't last very long. They'll most likely lose to Washington in 4 or 5 games.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Even just getting 1 point in their last 4 games basically makes it a coin flip for them to get in. I think they're pretty much safe.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

I'm not sure where you get this idea from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad