Any chance Murray takes over for the rest of the playoffs?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I disagree.

Fleury has been putting on a Conn Smythe level performance all playoffs. One bad game is too short of a leash.

An argument can be made that Sullivan isn't optimizing the team's chances.

Risky but Murray is good enough to ensure it won't be an issue.

For the record, I disagree with the decision. I think MAF earned a chance to rebound

But Sullivan has a perfect track record of making the right decisions and I'm not going to question him now

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Dumb.

Start Fleury. He plays well, he stays in. He flounders, and Murray is the starter going forward no question (or controversy).

Now what happens if Murray looks bad next game? Go back to Fleury? Lol good luck with that carousel.

it worked last year

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
This move by Sullivan has nothing to do with the play by Fleury. It is all about getting the team going from a new sheet.

This is how I see it too. The team needs a shakeup. They really have not looked great this series. It's not on Fleury.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Murray is a better goalie and the team plays better in front of him. Pens badly need a spark and some energy in this series. Yes Fleury's been very good these playoffs, but it's possible Murray would've been even better...or perhaps Murray wouldn't have even needed to be as good. Pens are usually more aggressive with Murray in net as well, and he is the #1 goalie of the present and future. I like Fleury as a person and goalie but his feelings are secondary here.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
For the record, I disagree with the decision. I think MAF earned a chance to rebound

But Sullivan has a perfect track record of making the right decisions and I'm not going to question him now

Except when he gave Flower the net against Tampa last year. Just sayin

I'm pretty indifferent about this decision. I'm more upset that he can give Flower the hook but guys like Kunitz are glued to the second line

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Small sample size for sure, but the Penguins just play differently when Murray is in the net. It's like there is a calmness and better transition game, less scrambling. MAF played lights out, probably deserved to start again. But as well as he was playing, you kept waiting for the dam to burst and it wasn't a question of IF, but WHEN.

SomeOldDude

May 27, 2016
VA
I disagreed with the decision. I felt like Flower has stood on his head and been the best player for the team all postseason and deserved the chance. However, the team does play better in front of Murray and that is showing tonight. the team needed a spark badly and it is showing that this was the best decision as they are starting to look like the Pens again!

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The Penguins are a better team with Murray in net. They've looked better with him in net since his first start. I love Fleury, but the future is Matt Murray and the now is Matt Murray.

Most of the Pens board users were not surprised from what I've seen.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Never understood how MM didn't get his job back when he returned from injury. He was the best goaltender in the PO's last year and clearly the more fundamentally sound goaltender.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
In Fleury's last 6 starts he had a .906. That's including two shutouts. I believe Murray is the better goalie and gives the Penguins a better chance to win, and that Sullivan made the correct call on going to Murray. Now the offense just has to wake up somehow

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Murray is certainly going to lead the Penguins to their second Stanley Cup. Fleury was falling back to earth, and Murray is the man they are protecting in the expansion draft.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
EASY DECISION. If Murray is 100% then you go with him. He was the better goalie last year, the better goalie this year, and was better in the playoffs last year than Fleury has been this year. Everyone knows that Murray is better. How is this even a question???

I wonder if there are still any people who are still incensed about the gross miscarriage of justice on Sullivan's part for not starting Fleury after he "earned" it? :cry:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
DDKOn6a.jpg

Everything Murray does in net, he does it like it's no big deal, he's the most calm goalie I've ever seen. His movements, his demeanor, everything. He's just oddly calm while everything else is in mass disarray in front of him, dude just stays there calm making saves.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I see why Murray started to be really simple: he's Sullivan's guy and Sullivan thinks he's better. No matter how well Fleury played, he was never the #1 goalie this season. It has always been Murray's team, and Sullivan was just riding Fleury's hot streak. When it appeared it might be over, Sullivan went back to his actual starter.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I see why Murray started to be really simple: he's Sullivan's guy and Sullivan thinks he's better. No matter how well Fleury played, he was never the #1 goalie this season. It has always been Murray's team, and Sullivan was just riding Fleury's hot streak. When it appeared it might be over, Sullivan went back to his actual starter.

Agree, there was never any controversy, Murray has been the #1 since last years playoffs.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Never understood how MM didn't get his job back when he returned from injury. He was the best goaltender in the PO's last year and clearly the more fundamentally sound goaltender.

This postseason? MM didnt get his job back because MAF was playing lights out. Against everyone's expectations he was magnificent despite his team getting buried in shots. Let in a few questionable goals against the Caps, had a bad game or two, and then laid an egg against Ottawa. Aside from that, the dude has been getting buried by shots all postseason and has looked stellar every time. Played better than both Bobs and Holtby. Played better than his team deserved in some cases.

On the other hand Sullivan could have just brought Murray back, possibly too soon, but to no end. IMO you don't screw with a team that is rolling like that. And MM wasn't even available before this series anyway.

IMO, Sullivan played this situation exactly right. Got everything out of MAF's hot streak and then brings in MM to reset the team and give them a wake up call to change the momentum of the series. It's about the team winning, not anyone's feelings. Some Pens fans (not on HF but in the real world) need reminding of that

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Everything Murray does in net, he does it like it's no big deal, he's the most calm goalie I've ever seen. His movements, his demeanor, everything. He's just oddly calm while everything else is in mass disarray in front of him, dude just stays there calm making saves.

Yep, and I feel the team plays a lot better in front of Murray because of this.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
To be fair... fluery was 9-6 when he got pulled.... he was the pens best player to date but it wasnt like they pulled him after one loss... they had to insulate him more and it affected their offense... their offense was in dire need of any help it can get and having a little more leeway with Murray was the right call

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
MM is camer and better. Fleury did well overall but had a few bad games on the road these playoffs and sullivan wasn't going to risk going down 3-1 on the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad