Any chance Murray takes over for the rest of the playoffs?

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I'm guessing they start Fleury in game 1 but keep him on a VERY short leash.

Why? He's been amazing for them all playoffs. He's getting a Conn Smyth talk. He should start every game unless he puts up two stinkers in a row. Jeezus, the guy pitched a shutout in a Game 7 but lets yank him at the very first sign of adversity.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Does Murray start game 4?

He will even though i think Fluery should be given another chance.

Fluery has been great so far in these playoffs.

One bad game doesn't change that.

Tough position for Sullivan to be in though.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Going with Murray is a bad plan. A) He's cold. B) Fleury has been lights out minus one game. C) The message it gives Fleury in case you need to fall back on him.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Fleury totally deserves a 2nd chance but if I'm Sullivan, Murray is a go for game 4. Sens saw Fleury for 3 games and have very little exposure to Murray. Make those shooters question what they have to do against an unknown in Murray and don't announce the starter till the very last possible moment. Its a pretty good card the coach has to play being down in a series.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Doubtful. If Fleury gets embarrassed in one game, chances are he in the Penguins are going to come out firing for the next game. They'll likely win too, and go back to Pittsburgh even up in the series.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Wasn't even Fleurys fault that the Pens lost imo.

First two goals were lucky bounces. 2nd goal more so than the first imo.

3rd goal could be considered a nice bounce too, but it was also a nice pass.

The players in front of Fleury did absolutely nothing to try to prevent the 4th goal from happening.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I think Fleury gets next start, but if Pittsburgh loses next game and let in several goals, I think PIT might want to take a chance with Murray.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd go with Fleury in game 4 but if he loses and gives up more than 3 I'd go with Murray in game 5 and see if you can run with him.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Very tough question.

Conn Smythe level goal-tending until tonight.

If they were up 2-1, it would be an easy question, but being down, on the road? What happens if he falters again?

Zero room for error if you go down 3-1 in a series.

I don't know what I would do personally. At least Murray got 4/5 th of a game, so he's not going in completely cold into game 4 if they decide to go that route.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
EASY DECISION. If Murray is 100% then you go with him. He was the better goalie last year, the better goalie this year, and was better in the playoffs last year than Fleury has been this year. Everyone knows that Murray is better. How is this even a question???

Gotta laugh at the "it was just one bad game" crowd of apologists. This is the NHL playoffs, not your beer league game. Margins are razor thin. In a close series, a single bad game and you go home. I expect ZERO bad games from a top goalie, and that's why I have been calling for Fleury to be removed ever since Murray was ready. It was only a matter of time before this happened.

Sorry Fleury, you're done. Pack your **** and GTFO Pittsburgh.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Sullivan is lucky that his starting goalie is ready. I agree that if Murray is 100%, you go with him. That said, I wouldn't reveal the starter until the pregame warmups.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
From what I've seen, Fleury has been Pittsburgh's best player in these playoffs. He won them games, and even in games where they lost, he was often their best player.

Little early to say that he's finished for the playoffs. I think so at least. But I'm a Sens fan, so take my opinions on the Pens line-up decisions with a grain of salt.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
You'd have to think they start Murray. There were some bounces on those goals but Fleury was leaking toward the end and was losing his composure as well. Murray will be a calming presence out there. Next game is the series, basically. Ottawa isn't losing 3-1 up and Pittsburgh needs to go 2-2 to get some stability and regain home ice advantage.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
It would be a bit gutsy, but I believe Fleury's hot streak has come to an end. Wait one more game and it could be too late.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
I think you have to give Fleury another shot next game, but on a short leash if he lets in a stinker.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Why? He's been amazing for them all playoffs. He's getting a Conn Smyth talk. He should start every game unless he puts up two stinkers in a row. Jeezus, the guy pitched a shutout in a Game 7 but lets yank him at the very first sign of adversity.

You give him the quick hook because he can get inside his own head. I said it after the first goal fleury looks rattled. If they were impossible shots maybe you leave him in... 3 out of 4 of those goals were stoppable. 2 were probably his fault.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Fleury should start Game 4, but if he has another rough outing and Pittsburgh find themselves down 3-1 in the series, I could see the Pens tapping Murray for Game 5.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Wasn't even Fleurys fault that the Pens lost imo.

First two goals were lucky bounces. 2nd goal more so than the first imo.

3rd goal could be considered a nice bounce too, but it was also a nice pass.

The players in front of Fleury did absolutely nothing to try to prevent the 4th goal from happening.

Fleury didn't look great either. The team - forwards, defensemen, and goaltender - weren't ready for the Sens, and never recovered.

Fleury should start Game 4, but if he has another rough outing and Pittsburgh find themselves down 3-1 in the series, I could see the Pens tapping Murray for Game 5.

Murray would see the ice before Game 5 if Fleury continues to struggle, as in he would replace him if he lets in a couple early goals on Friday. They have to avoid a 3-1 deficit at all costs.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Going with Murray is a bad plan. A) He's cold. B) Fleury has been lights out minus one game. C) The message it gives Fleury in case you need to fall back on him.

Murray stopped 19/20 shots in relief. You have to go with the guy who started for your cup win last year IMO. Fleury is too inconsistent and unpredictable. If he has another bad start he could put Pittsburgh on the precipice of losing the series right then and there

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
When it comes to the playoffs, you ride the hot hand. Murray was much better than Fleury last night obviously.

You start Murray.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad