Any chance Murray takes over for the rest of the playoffs?

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
It is Murray's net unless he falters. He is still the goalie who gives you the best chance to win.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Why? He's been amazing for them all playoffs. He's getting a Conn Smyth talk. He should start every game unless he puts up two stinkers in a row. Jeezus, the guy pitched a shutout in a Game 7 but lets yank him at the very first sign of adversity.

Because as far as the Pens boards is concerned Fleury literally cannot have a bad game, even if the rest of the team is standing around watching their opponents light them up like last night. Just the way it is. MAF has somewhat made his own bed in this regard (and Murray being amazing last year obviously), but if anything goes wrong and he happens to be in net you better believe he's taking a significant part of the blame, if not all of it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
MAF was weaker in game 6 vs the Caps and came back and played lights out in game 7. I honestly think they should stay with him, but not sure if its going to matter. Someone type out Pittsburghs defense from last night.:laugh:

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
Fleury has been too hot. I don't think he was bad last game either. Those first two were awful bounces, the third was a tap in, and the fourth a guy chipped it in deep, both our defensemen chased him, and Fleury was so shocked that they both got beat that he didn't get over to the post in time.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Wasn't even Fleurys fault that the Pens lost imo.

First two goals were lucky bounces. 2nd goal more so than the first imo.

3rd goal could be considered a nice bounce too, but it was also a nice pass.

The players in front of Fleury did absolutely nothing to try to prevent the 4th goal from happening.

Several SCFs ago "puck luck" would have been mentioned a few times by now.

MAF did not have a weak game. I'd still start him

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Id probably go with MAF just for the fact that he'll probably rebound like he did in the Caps series and they basically have to trade him in the off season and benching him when you're trying to win the cup may hurt his trade value.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I would go with Murray. If he falters then they switch up but Murray is the guy who came through for them last season and I think they still consider him the #1 guy. So it makes sense to play your #1 guy when you are sure he is healthy.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I don't have a problem going with Murray at all. MAF is shaky on the road even though he's the reason the Pens have made it this far.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Pens were getting high level goalie play from MAF. I don't think it can get any harder for Ottawa, can it?

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
i don't know who i would start, fleury has been their mvp but also has a history of being shaky

murray is more consistent, but he might need to play as well as fleury has been throughout most of the playoffs to advance

the pens need to score more goals no matter who their goalie is, one goal per game won't get it done

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Short leash but id probably do the same thing if im Sullivan. Murray better play well tonight because if he gets lit up its real hard to go back to MAF.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I kind of feel bad for Fleury, but man, with his history it's really tough to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Geki

Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
Geez, that really doesn't sit well at all. Puts more pressure on Murray and doesn't show any confidence in MAF, it's a lose/lose. Fleury has one bad game, and I would argue he wasn't even close to being the issue in that game, and you sit him? After he powered you through 2+ rounds of the best goaltending the Pens have had all year?

Feels dirty..

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Geez, that really doesn't sit well at all. Puts more pressure on Murray and doesn't show any confidence in MAF, it's a lose/lose. Fleury has one bad game, and I would argue he wasn't even close to being the issue in that game, and you sit him? After he powered you through 2+ rounds of the best goaltending the Pens have had all year?

Feels dirty..

Are we worried about feelings or winning?

This is why I like Sully- he tends to do things that optimize his winning games and puts feelings aside. How many coaches can you say do that? You hear all the time the coach puts his "old vet" in at the expense of a younger/dynamic player

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Dumb.

Start Fleury. He plays well, he stays in. He flounders, and Murray is the starter going forward no question (or controversy).

Now what happens if Murray looks bad next game? Go back to Fleury? Lol good luck with that carousel.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Dumb.

Start Fleury. He plays well, he stays in. He flounders, and Murray is the starter going forward no question (or controversy).

Now what happens if Murray looks bad next game? Go back to Fleury? Lol good luck with that carousel.

They're professionals, not peewees. A rest for Fleury might actually be a good thing; he's been carrying this team since the start of the playoffs.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Are we worried about feelings or winning?

This is why I like Sully- he tends to do things that optimize his winning games and puts feelings aside. How many coaches can you say do that? You hear all the time the coach puts his "old vet" in at the expense of a younger/dynamic player

I disagree.

Fleury has been putting on a Conn Smythe level performance all playoffs. One bad game is too short of a leash.

An argument can be made that Sullivan isn't optimizing the team's chances.

Risky but Murray is good enough to ensure it won't be an issue.

Mike Lange Version 2

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
I like the decision, start MM but keep him on a short leash. If he plays well, lets in 2 or less, and we win, he's earned the nod for the future. MAF is too shaky and we can't afford another meltdown and to go down 3-1. MM gets lit up and we lose? We're back where we started and MAF will start again. Something had to change, even though we all know it's more on the offense. The offense plays differently in front of MM and I hope that factored into the decision/will get results.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
This move by Sullivan has nothing to do with the play by Fleury. It is all about getting the team going from a new sheet.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I'm as much of a Murray fan as anyone, but I'd stick with Fleury. However, I see where Sullivan is coming from. Also, I think this move is as much about trying to get the rest of the team going, than it is about Murray v. Fleury.

The funny thing though, as expected, the Fleury fan crew are LOSING THEIR MINDS right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad