Speculation: Any chance Dubas tries to re-coop draft picks this week?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The 2021 Trade Deadline saw Foligno, Nash, Rittich, Hutton, Noesen, and Suomela in.

Out went 6 draft picks plus Barabanov.

I don't want to re-hash those trades, but I do want to talk about the possibility of Dubas recouping some of those picks.

Perhaps he's only thinking about the '23 playoffs and not drafting for the future strength of the franchise.

Will he try to acquire more picks and who can he move to bolster our prospect pool?

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would expect some movement for picks.
** isn’t re-coup?

Reactions: Ciao

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Undoubtedly he will try to trade down to get additional picks. It takes other orgs really interested in your draft position to make this happen. This may not be that type of draft. We'll see.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Undoubtedly he will try to trade down to get additional picks. It takes other orgs really interested in your draft position to make this happen. This may not be that type of draft. We'll see.

I believe he's left himself with a 1st, 3rd and 7th. Trade up and take the best 6'3" forward available and call it a day.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yes I’d say so.

Most likely moving Holl and Mrazek

Maybe Kerfoot.

And I think there’s a reasonable chance they will down in the first round.

Heck I could see them trading down in the third round too to get more mid round picks

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if such an opportunity arises (ex. trading away an NHLer for cap space, potentially trading away an NHLer's negotiation rights, trading down in the entry draft). However, improving the team for the present will rightfully be prioritized over stockpiling picks for the future.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
yeah that strategy worked out so well in the mark hunter drafts
Good point. But in the 2022 draft, there may actually be some big defensemen who are the best players available when the Leafs pick. Here is Bob MacKenzie's ranking around the Leafs pick at 25:

23 Owen Pickering Swift Current
24 Denton Mateychuk Moose Jaw (WHL)
25 Ryan Chesley USA U-18 (USHL)
26 Lian Bichsel Leksands (SHL)

Pickering and Bichsel are both big, can skate, and can handle the puck. I agree with Leafs management strategy or drafting skill over size, but if skill is similar the Leafs need more size on the defense. Sandin and Niemela are both small. Rielly and Liljegren are roughly average. The Leafs will need someone to replace what Muzzin brings when he retires or is traded.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well some good news folks da Leafs last week talked to Beck .. so we are now in da game .. I have been lobbying for about 6 months now .. I still don't think he will last til our pick but I have some hope now .. FYI mynhldraft now has Leafs taking Beck .. funny how they switched their projections after last weeks talk .. if we get super lucky we will have a 4th line C next year who has chance to move up to 2C in 2 years .. you guys will like him .. fast fast fast like Point and will throw some hits all while playing a tough 200 ft game .. and very strong on puck and faceoffs

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Good point. But in the 2022 draft, there may actually be some big defensemen who are the best players available when the Leafs pick. Here is Bob MacKenzie's ranking around the Leafs pick at 25:

Pickering and Bichsel are both big, can skate, and can handle the puck. I agree with Leafs management strategy or drafting skill over size, but if skill is similar the Leafs need more size on the defense. Sandin and Niemela are both small. Rielly and Liljegren are roughly average. The Leafs will need someone to replace what Muzzin brings when he retires or is traded.
Sandin is not tall... but he's not small either. He's very thick... and doesn't get pushed around.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

kerk

Apr 27, 2009

would love for the leafs to luck out and draft a big D who turns out. seems like every other team gets lucky with one or two of those picks, it's time for the leafs to, right? can they turn their matt knies luck into a dman this draft?

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Sandin is not tall... but he's not small either. He's very thick... and doesn't get pushed around.
According to Capfriendly, Sandin is 5'11" and 183 lbs. That is small by NHL standards.

I like Sandin as a player, but have several concerns about him:
- he likes to play a physical game, which is great except that his body will wear out quicker than it would for a big man. (I loved Darcy Tucker, but once his body gave out he was not worth much as a player).
- Sandin has already had a couple of serious knee injuries. See the point above.
- his skating is subpar.
- if Niemela develops as well as we hope, can the Leafs accommodate two smaller defensemen who play a similar style? Keep in mind that Rielly will likely be the first PP defenseman for the foreseeable future.
- If he is going to be difficult to sign, then it might be better to cut bait now if you can get a good offer.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad