Any and all questions about playing junior hockey

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
The USHL has an "Important Dates" tab on their website that outlines roster deadlines, etc. Does the NAHL have a similar calendar or if not, does someone know the important roster dates for the NA? My google searching came up empty.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The USHL has an "Important Dates" tab on their website that outlines roster deadlines, etc. Does the NAHL have a similar calendar or if not, does someone know the important roster dates for the NA? My google searching came up empty.
On the NAHL website, such content (if it exists publicly) is clustered under the drop-down menus labeled The NAHL and Play in the NAHL.

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
The only thing you got wrong is the "yet" part.

ETA: I beg you to reread this post from @Barclay Donaldson. And really read it this time.

Thanks.

I am asking for the roster dates though. For example, NA teams must be at X players by 8/30, to X players by 9/15 to X players by 10/1. Fully acknowledge that it's all fluid and players will be bouncing on/off the official roster, but just curious what the requirements are by which dates.

My apologies if that's in the post your referencing.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
@PipeDream If my memory serves, teams tend to break camp with an allowed roster of 30 and then after the showcase, there is a hard cap of 25. These dates fluctuate each year based on when the showcase occurs but that should give you a good idea. That doesn't mean teams only have 25 in town at a given time, that number is likely to be around 30 on any given home weekend. Unless you're Kenai, then it is 25. Too costly to get players to and from. They really are at a severe competitive disadvantage on their homestands.

Reactions: PipeDream

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
@PipeDream If my memory serves, teams tend to break camp with an allowed roster of 30 and then after the showcase, there is a hard cap of 25. These dates fluctuate each year based on when the showcase occurs but that should give you a good idea. That doesn't mean teams only have 25 in town at a given time, that number is likely to be around 30 on any given home weekend. Unless you're Kenai, then it is 25. Too costly to get players to and from. They really are at a severe competitive disadvantage on their homestands.

Thank you!

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Not a junior hockey question. Is there any threads or good unbiased sites that focus on the New England prep league? Thanks.

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
A friend's son was just told by a NA coach that they wanted to put him on the affiliate list, what does that mean exactly and how does it work? Does the player have to agree to that or can the team simply do that?

I have an idea of how the affiliate list works in the USHL, but am not familiar with the process in the NA.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Here is the policy and there are other associated forms on the USA Hockey website as well:

https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachme...531.266873777.1633023003-274594681.1607006202

Would still be curious as to any real-world experience (benefits or pitfalls) of this process from the player's perspective.

Benefits:
it means a team is interested enough in a player to protect them from the other teams in the league
more likely to have their organization watching the protected player develop and improve

Downfall:
it means if/when the team cuts you, they'll herd you into one of their money making team
no other team in the league can get you unless they trade for your rights

If the player can be added to their protection list, go for it. The only exception is if you have every team in the league knocking down your door, then you can play the field.

Reactions: PipeDream

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
Benefits:
it means a team is interested enough in a player to protect them from the other teams in the league
more likely to have their organization watching the protected player develop and improve

Downfall:
it means if/when the team cuts you, they'll herd you into one of their money making team
no other team in the league can get you unless they trade for your rights

If the player can be added to their protection list, go for it. The only exception is if you have every team in the league knocking down your door, then you can play the field.

Thank you BD. There is no tier 3 team affiliated with this particular NA team to the best of my knowledge.

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
Question comparing junior leagues across North America. There seems to be a lot of churn in the NAHL rosters and that's quite visible by looking at the transaction page and USA hockey add/drop listing. Is the churn similar in the NCDC and/or the Canadian Jr leagues such as the AJHL, MJHL, CCHL, etc.?

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Question comparing junior leagues across North America. There seems to be a lot of churn in the NAHL rosters and that's quite visible by looking at the transaction page and USA hockey add/drop listing. Is the churn similar in the NCDC and/or the Canadian Jr leagues such as the AJHL, MJHL, CCHL, etc.?
You'll see that churn everywhere. Injuries, coaching changes, budget constraints, "better" players becoming available, off ice issues, the list goes on. You'll find this throughout all levels of hockey from U16s and up to the NHL.

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
I believe there is a roster deadline in the NAHL coming up in the next 7-10 days, does anyone know the exact date? Thanks in advance!

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
This is a very generalized question so I get it will be hard to get a specific answer, but how big is the gap between tier 1 and tier 2 for on ice talent in regards to the number of tier 2 players on an average team that could play tier 1? My gut says the top line, top pair and maybe the best goalie could be of value to a team in the tier above, is that about right as far as a quick calculation? Or is there a big disparity to where it may only be one or two guys per team that could cut it?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This is a very generalized question so I get it will be hard to get a specific answer, but how big is the gap between tier 1 and tier 2 for on ice talent in regards to the number of tier 2 players on an average team that could play tier 1? My gut says the top line, top pair and maybe the best goalie could be of value to a team in the tier above, is that about right as far as a quick calculation? Or is there a big disparity to where it may only be one or two guys per team that could cut it?
In my admittedly short time experience with following USHL & NAHL hockey (6-7 years), it seems to me that youth hockey players end up in one or the other jr. league based on their exhibited talent plus a consensus of the scouts' assessments of potential skills growth. So I'd be inclined to believe that NAHL players by & large are in that League because they weren't considered "good enough" to make a USHL roster. Further, I haven't seen stats on #s of NAHL players moving up to Tier I, but I'd be surprised if your "gut" prediction of 6 players on a good Tier II team being talented enough to advance in U.S. junior hockey wasn't greatly overestimated.

Reactions: canucklax

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

There is a very big disparity. I am guessing your are talking about Tier I and Tier II for American juniors, so pretty much the USHL and the NAHL.

For the USHL, even players as low as the upper middle tier of the talent pool are getting drafted in the NHL. Only the lowest ranked players leave without some sort of scholarship and everyone gets committed D1.

For the NAHL, half the league is still committing to play NCAA D3. They are high end D3 schools. The SUNY, WIAC, and MIAC schools are all fantastic hockey. But it isn't NCAA D1. Let that serve as the measuring stick. The players who light up the NAHL, I mean well over a point per game pace so maybe the top 10 players in the league that is closing in on 30 teams, go on to have NCAA careers roughly level to that of USHL scratches.

I would agree with JMCx4. The disparity is gigantic. Maybe the top 2 players per team on average throughout the NAHL could crack a USHL roster. And that is a hard maybe.

Reasons for this a multifold:
-USHL is small, regional, and isn't watered down. 16 teams, all in the midwest. The NAHL is up to 29 teams and will keep growing. So not only is it lower down the totem pole, the talent is watered down. Kids who would have played in the USHL 9-10 years ago are still playing in the USHL. They are even attracting better kids. Kids who wouldn't have a spot in the NAHL 9-10 years ago are playing in the NAHL now. This is because of league expansion to fit market and business need rather than hockey talent level, and the certain crushing of the Boston Mafia in the USPHL helped fuel East Coast expansion.
-so many more options. USHL cuts have the choice between the NAHL and BCHL as their next top picks. If they want to be closer to the Northeast colleges, they go the USPHL NCDC route. If they are Canadian they have the choice between any one of a dozen fantastic programs between mostly the AJHL but the SJHL, OJHL, and CCHL. And if the kid is told by the USHL program to go to a certain New England prep school or midget program to dominate for a full year and to develop that way, that is becoming a more viable alternative for players likely to make the hop to the USHL as a 18/19 year old.

Reactions: canucklax

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
This is a fairly accurate high level view. The NAHL is more watered down, as others have mentioned, but has a much larger footprint and reach of scouting. Top (underage) players in the NAHL are potential low NHL picks or Division 1 players, where as USHL has a much larger volume of commits and NHL picks.

Back in my day (I'm an old (27)) a lot of guys would drop from the USHL to NAHL in their 20 year season to have better point production if they were uncommitted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad