Any and all questions about playing junior hockey

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Any thoughts or insights regarding play in the USPHL vs the NA3HL? Are they somewhat comparable? Some teams tout their affiliation to higher level teams (NCDC and NAHL), but if level of play is not comparable, I would assume it would hinder development of a player in one or the other? For consideration, and to be upfront, the goal is to play in NAHL (have to shoot for something!). FWIW, we will already be attending a couple NAHL main camps, but need to think about a plan B if these do not work out. Have already had offers from both USPHL & NA3HL teams. Thanks!
Look at prices, value shop (tell the teams that another team is cheaper and they will most likely match or beat it), look for the most practice ice time, qualified coaching staff, try to meet some guys that are on the teams, access to a weight room, access to a certified and knowledgeable strength and conditioning coach, location (are you okay sending your son to the other end of the country?), nutrition plan, travel situation (both to and from the home rink as well as traveling to away games), medical availability, billet situation, and most importantly: where does the coach see you in their lineup (if he gives you a non-answer, he's talking to players he perceives as better than you, has no idea what you bring as a player, or has no idea what his roster is going to look like; if he places you lower than you feel you deserve, he may not have a good understanding of what you can do; and if he places you at or above where you feel you belong, he has done his research on you).

The USPHL Premier and NA3HL have been a comparable level for years now and the pissing contest is a waste of everyone's time. I have always advocated for the top 3/4 teams in each league to go and have an exhibition with the other, if you really want to prove superiority. Look at the commitments, high-end players go NCAA D3 (and are usually low-end players there) and middle of the pack players go to the ACHA. This is not a bad path depending on your long term hockey and life goals but you have to be realistic.

Fun story, the first year of the NCDC (2017-18) I was brought into main camp for the P.A.L. Junior Islanders. At the end of camp, the NCDC coach tells me I'm too small for my style of play (apparently 5'11, 190 pound physical defenseman have been bred out of the game) and then makes sure I am the first in line to speak to the Premier and Elite coaches. I walk in, introduce myself, and the coaches look at each other in disbelief. "Did you mark him?" "No, did you?" "I put a question mark." Needless to say, I was ready to leave but they rant and rave about the benefits of playing elite and possibly moving up all the way to the NCDC team if I impress...even when the NCDC coach just told me I'd need to grow 4 inches and 30 pounds to ever sniff his roster with my style of play. I received calls from the premier coach until the roster freeze that season, even when I was rostered with USAHockey sanctioned teams because he desperately needed bodies. Moral of the story, make sure you go to a team and a coach who recognizes your ability and values what you can bring to the team.

CB1

Apr 25, 2020
I am assuming you mean USPHL Premier and NA3HL.

The answer for that is it varies by team. Every team is going to market themselves as superior. You are a potential customer. In reality, both leagues will average 3-6 D3/ACHA commits per team. Some will have a lot more. Some will have a lot fewer. Some will even have zero.

Think of it as no different process than buying a car. Do you have and mind outing the specific teams? That would be the most effective way of figuring out the best offer.

Thanks for the comments!
Regarding NA3HL and trying to get to NAHL, if there was choice between a new team like El Paso Rhinos and an established team like Tx Brahmas, would those options be comparable odds? Of course it's all subjective and dependent upon player of actually executing and showing they are worthy!

CB1

Apr 25, 2020
[QUOTE="kij, post: snip..... Moral of the story, make sure you go to a team and a coach who recognizes your ability and values what you can bring to the team.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the insight and details of your experience!!! Great bullet points to think about when shopping teams! Much appreciated!

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Thanks for the comments!
Regarding NA3HL and trying to get to NAHL, if there was choice between a new team like El Paso Rhinos and an established team like Tx Brahmas, would those options be comparable odds? Of course it's all subjective and dependent upon player of actually executing and showing they are worthy!

I wouldn't say that El Paso is more of a newer team. They are new to joining the league, but they are an established team which has been doing well since 2006. They will be starting their NAHL team from scratch, so that pathway in itself would be newer and likely the more achievable option.

Reactions: CB1

CB1

Apr 25, 2020
I wouldn't say that El Paso is more of a newer team. They are new to joining the league, but they are an established team which has been doing well since 2006. They will be starting their NAHL team from scratch, so that pathway in itself would be newer and likely the more achievable option.

Thank you for the feedback! Agee, I should have qualified my statement with El Paso being new to the NA3HL and then NAHL.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

CB1

Apr 25, 2020
With a couple of USHL teams and a few NAHL teams suspending operations for the 20-21 season, where will these kids go? With that many players I wouldn't think they couldn't all be absorbed into their current leagues, but I may be wrong.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
With a couple of USHL teams and a few NAHL teams suspending operations for the 20-21 season, where will these kids go? ...
Partial answer ... USHL Completes Cedar Rapids & Madison Dispersal Draft

ETA: NAHL also held a dispersal draft for players from KC and Corpus Christi on August 27th, but I couldn't find a discrete web report of the dispersal results. Haven't seen anything yet re. Springfield & Jamestown.

Last edited:

hockeydude12345

Jan 8, 2020
Hey guys, was told by an Canadian Junior A team that the OJHL isn't allowing Americans to play this season. I was picked up by a u18 program for just over a month, then dropped because the billet bailed last second. Now I don't have a team and its approaching november. Any tips or recommendations on where to find a team for the upcoming season? I'm aiming for some sort of NAHL/NCDC, but a high - mid 18U would also be fine. Thanks in advance!

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Hey guys, was told by an Canadian Junior A team that the OJHL isn't allowing Americans to play this season. I was picked up by a u18 program for just over a month, then dropped because the billet bailed last second. Now I don't have a team and its approaching november. Any tips or recommendations on where to find a team for the upcoming season? I'm aiming for some sort of NAHL/NCDC, but a high - mid 18U would also be fine. Thanks in advance!
A big part of the problem is with a giant glut of players trickling down from Canadian Jr. A Americans being blocked from crossing the border and USHL/NAHL/U18 teams not playing. As much as it sucks to say, you may be best served looking lower on the totem pole, at least to start. Any hockey is better than no hockey right? If you were set to play OJHL, I'd start calling NA3HL and USPHL Premier teams immediately. Obviously reaching out to NCDC/NAHL/U18 teams as well, but with the season chugging along and clearly a rush to get things done, just a suggestion. Best of luck to you.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

If you haven't been picked up by a NAHL or NCDC team by now, it will not happen. Like kij said, part of it is the trickle down effect.

You can try reaching out to NAHL and NCDC teams, but their seasons have already begun. If you choose that path, good luck. I would highly suggest kij's path. I know of more than a few NA3HL teams which are hurting for players and, as usual, this gives you negotiating powers when deciding a price.

Reactions: kij and JMCx4

hockeydude12345

Jan 8, 2020
Hey guys, thank you for the advice above. I recently just found myself a pretty high ranked tier 1 18u team to play for. However, now with all the uncertainty, I am not too sure if I will be able to return to Canada next year to the OJHL. I really am thinking about playing in the NAHL or the NCDC next season. However, I do not know where to start. I played on a high ranked tier 1 team last year, however when I sent emails to nahl teams, I only got those generic camp invites. Any tips to actually getting tendered or drafted to one the leagues? A lot of my former teammates that have moved on to the american tier 1/2 junior levels mainly all got in because they, their advisor, or their parents knew someone, and they were signed at the end, (or they were committed, but there was just one of those)

J Fyi, I made the specific OJHL team from luck, as they were coming off a bad year, and had a ton of kids leaving to Major Juniors, USports or NCAA. Idk if Canada is going to open, so im looking at these american alt's

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Hey guys, thank you for the advice above. I recently just found myself a pretty high ranked tier 1 18u team to play for. However, now with all the uncertainty, I am not too sure if I will be able to return to Canada next year to the OJHL. I really am thinking about playing in the NAHL or the NCDC next season. However, I do not know where to start. I played on a high ranked tier 1 team last year, however when I sent emails to nahl teams, I only got those generic camp invites. Any tips to actually getting tendered or drafted to one the leagues? A lot of my former teammates that have moved on to the american tier 1/2 junior levels mainly all got in because they, their advisor, or their parents knew someone, and they were signed at the end, (or they were committed, but there was just one of those)

J Fyi, I made the specific OJHL team from luck, as they were coming off a bad year, and had a ton of kids leaving to Major Juniors, USports or NCAA. Idk if Canada is going to open, so im looking at these american alt's

Easy. Put up good stats.

You can hire all the advisors and call all the coaches you want. It won't mean anything if your stats indicate you cannot play at that next level. High level junior staffs have a few hundred interested kids each year to search through to fill something around a dozen spots, depending on the number of returners. At least a hundred will have a connected parent or advisor. It isn't enough to separate you at the end of the day.

Having good stats will <<open more doors>> than having an advisor or established hockey parent.

CB1

Apr 25, 2020
USPHL question/discussion. Anyone have any insider insight into what the USPHL is doing with the recent uptick in the COVID situation? From what my son has experienced so far this season, we have cancelled/postponed weekend games a couple of times, temporarily shutdown for a couple of weeks, and seems that the IHC Boston showcase for January has been cancelled. With various states recently implementing new COVID mandates, just wondering if certain divisions/areas for the USPHL could impacted by temporarily putting the season on hold or much worse canceling? Anyway, just asking after reading some of the NAHL and USHL threads and what is happening with those leagues. Lots of chatter among the players trying to figure out what their future holds. Thanks!

CB1

Apr 25, 2020
Interesting! Funny, at the start of the season, the teams seemed to be COVID testing pretty regularly before road trips. Didn't understand how it seemed the traveling team is the one who tests and not the home team (for that weekend). Not sure if it's to get around things, but there have been home and home style games (no overnight stays), so no testing at all. From what we've seen a lot of players have tested positive for exposure, and then properly quarantined, and of course are now back playing. The head scratcher is that if no symptoms after quarantine, medical community says you don't need to test again for 90 days! So I guess if the majority of the team was exposed and quarantined with no major cases, they good to play for 3 months! Trying to wrap my head around all of this! : )

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... The head scratcher is that if no symptoms after quarantine, medical community says you don't need to test again for 90 days! So I guess if the majority of the team was exposed and quarantined with no major cases, they good to play for 3 months! Trying to wrap my head around all of this! : )
On behalf of @Barclay Donaldson ... Follow the money trail for the answer. :teach:

Last edited:

hockeydude12345

Jan 8, 2020
from inside rumors, it looks like NCDC Operations will be moved to Florida in a bubble.

But we don't know if its all the original teams moving to the bubble, or a new set of NCDC teams being created. Don't imagine a lot of kids gonna go play there anyways, especially the prep kids.

Daily Dish: NCDC Bubble Hockey

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
from inside rumors, it looks like NCDC Operations will be moved to Florida in a bubble.

But we don't know if its all the original teams moving to the bubble, or a new set of NCDC teams being created. Don't imagine a lot of kids gonna go play there anyways, especially the prep kids.

Daily Dish: NCDC Bubble Hockey

It can easily work. It seems outrageous, but it can easily work.

It looks like they are the same teams and same rosters moving down. They don't face interstate travel, they're in a state with much more relaxed rules than the ones they are playing in, and they continue their season to fulfill their contractual obligations. They can more easily look like they obey Covid rules with their living arrangements. And they have multiple golf courses available, so that satisfies the players and the coaches.

A lot of kids are going to want to play there. Prep kids aren't playing NCDC for half the year, they almost exclusively play half season midgets so that is not a worry. Kids have trickled down the junior hockey ladder this season because of the border closure, teams folding or choosing to sit out. There will be more than enough kids willing to drop $3,500 to play in hockey in Florida, especially when there are no better options.

A good point was brought up that the NCDC's only advantage is its geographical relation to colleges and that doesn't matter. The whole league was built on lies. They built it as a competitor to the NAHL and the league-wide quality has actually regressed away from the NAHL.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... A lot of kids are going to want to play there. Prep kids aren't playing NCDC for half the year, they almost exclusively play half season midgets so that is not a worry. Kids have trickled down the junior hockey ladder this season because of the border closure, teams folding or choosing to sit out. There will be more than enough kids willing to drop $3,500 to play in hockey in Florida, especially when there are no better options. ...
Yeah, right, it's the kids paying the bills. :nono:

CB1

Apr 25, 2020
LOL...from the article....."With our team having over half of the players and staff already having the virus this hopefully will NOT be a major issue of concern for us. "

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad