Confirmed with Link: Antti Raanta Extended (3 years/4.25AAV)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

I hadn't seen this 5 mins in the Box segment with Tyson prior to today. It's worth the watch if you haven't seen it, particularly the part where he talks about being in the Finnish army.

Reactions: doaner

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Looks like a bit of an odd contract structure, but makes a lot of sense if you’re familiar with the labor situation in the NHL.

The current CBA is scheduled to end after the 2021-22 season. However the NHL and Players Union both have the right to opt out two years earlier, meaning 2019-20 could be the last season of the current CBA, with a possible lockout/labor stoppage in 2020-21.

Because of the impending labor issue, lots of players are getting contracts with signing bonuses in 2020-21. Those bonuses get fully paid even if there’s a lock out where players lose some or all of their salaries. We’re also seeing contracts shifting more salary into the season before or after 2020-21 like we see here with Raanta getting his biggest salary of $5m in 2019-20: then a $2m guaranteed signing bonus with $2m salary in 2020-21.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Glad we could get this done and even happier that my prediction was wrong (him signing elsewhere). I underestimated AZ or Chayka or both

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I hadn't seen this 5 mins in the Box segment with Tyson prior to today. It's worth the watch if you haven't seen it, particularly the part where he talks about being in the Finnish army.

That what the United States should do. Raanta seems like a very likeable down to earth guy.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
Raanta's contract could be one of the biggest steals in the league the next three years. If his career numbers do not regress seeing full time action that could be an amazing contract. Congrats to both sides, but man Chayka pulls another rabbit out of the hat.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Raanta's contract could be one of the biggest steals in the league the next three years. If his career numbers do not regress seeing full time action that could be an amazing contract. Congrats to both sides, but man Chayka pulls another rabbit out of the hat.
The focus for the coyotes is to improve defensively to minimize raanta's injuries. The more positional saves he has to make, the less injuries he will have.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It looks like that for the outside, but like Cobra and a few others have said, he is still not proven as a starter and we have no idea what kind of injuries he had. I really don't think Chayka pulled one out of the hat at all, rather he just payed market value. I would say both parties are happy with the deal.

Reactions: hbk and cobra427

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The focus for the coyotes is to improve defensively to minimize raanta's injuries. The more positional saves he has to make, the less injuries he will have.
Staying healthy on D would be the main focus for me. We need more talent on D in case of injuries like this year. Raanta's not big but very athletic, so he is always active in net, like Quick, and those types are probably more injury prone than a big goalie. Mind you, Bishop, Price, Smith and others have had their fair share of injuries.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think Raanta got market value. If Raanta is injured or his play fades when he plays full time, the contract won't kill us. I hope you are right and it looks like a steal the next few years though.

I am glad Chayka is careful with contracts in dollars, term and NMC clauses. Bad contracts are how teams get stuck and we don't have any at the moment. We are going to pay OEL 8/8 and I would be fine with Tavares long term too. You can pay your superstars money/term. Keller is the only other player on our roster we will have to pay big money in the next 5 years if his performance continues.

You have to be careful with the good but not great players like Lucic and for us Domi maybe in the future. If we can stay under 4-5 mill per year, if the player doesn't work out it won't kill you. I think teams get in trouble in the 5.5-7.5 range, good but not great players. When they fade it kills your cap.

Reactions: Grimes

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Staying healthy on D would be the main focus for me. We need more talent on D in case of injuries like this year. Raanta's not big but very athletic, so he is always active in net, like Quick, and those types are probably more injury prone than a big goalie. Mind you, Bishop, Price, Smith and others have had their fair share of injuries.
Agreed... but the point is that the more routine saves cause less injury. A lot of that is defence. If a goalie has to make a lot of movement because dmen are losing their assignments, its injury city.

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
I think Raanta got market value. If Raanta is injured or his play fades when he plays full time, the contract won't kill us. I hope you are right and it looks like a steal the next few years though.

I thought market value for you was much less. And I'm pretty sure his market value is higher, if we judge it by how much he would get, if he chose to test market in July. Maybe something like 0.5M more.

But the real thing. Are you happy with this contract? You talked about much less whole time and even when it was "roughly 4" you said, it's most likely under 4.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I thought market value for you was much less. And I'm pretty sure his market value is higher, if we judge it by how much he would get, if he chose to test market in July. Maybe something like 0.5M more.

But the real thing. Are you happy with this contract? You talked about much less whole time and even when it was "roughly 4" you said, it's most likely under 4.
I'm happy with the contract. I didn't think he would get 4 mill and 4 years or way more as some had predicted. 4.25 and 3 years is fine, glad it is signed and done.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I am glad Chayka is careful with contracts in dollars, term and NMC clauses. Bad contracts are how teams get stuck and we don't have any at the moment. We are going to pay OEL 8/8 and I would be fine with Tavares long term too. You can pay your superstars money/term. Keller is the only other player on our roster we will have to pay big money in the next 5 years if his performance continues.

You have to be careful with the good but not great players like Lucic and for us Domi maybe in the future. If we can stay under 4-5 mill per year, if the player doesn't work out it won't kill you. I think teams get in trouble in the 5.5-7.5 range, good but not great players. When they fade it kills your cap.
You bet, but term scares me more as that can make trading a player almost impossible, unless you add good assets or retain.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I was not talking Raanta but term in general. These 8 yr contract scare the hell out of me.
Me too, but term for UFA's is a function of the CBA model. ELC's get under paid with not much term. RFA's get under paid, unless the GM is stupid, with not much term unless it eats up some UFA years. UFA's get over paid in dollars and term. I would stay away from term and big money unless it is a proven 1C/1D Tavares/Kopitar, Daughty/OEL, elite wing/Patrick Kane. If the player isn't in one of those categories, you have to be careful.

The elite ELC's/RFA's, you need to pay them under 5 mill, the elite UFA's 8-10 mill+ maybe. You get into trouble in the middle range, 5-7.5 mill for good but not great players, especially UFA's. Brent Seabrook is a good example as is Lucic. Neither were elite but both good players when they signed. RNH/Eberle are other examples, both good players but the Oilers were dumb to sign them to those contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad