Confirmed with Link: Antti Raanta Extended (3 years/4.25AAV)

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
It's going to cost more than 4 yrs/$16-18M.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
It's going to cost more than 4 yrs/$16-18M.

Probably just the prelim offer....I hope.....

What I don't hope is that they issued this release to try and save face. "we tried" kinda scenario cause they don't wanna pay him (can't). I'm not buying this theory just yet.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Reactions: Yandover

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Probably just the prelim offer....I hope.....

What I don't hope is that they issued this release to try and save face. "we tried" kinda scenario cause they don't wanna pay him (can't). I'm not buying this theory just yet.
Who is the pressure on now? It's a way to try to garner leverage as it has been pointed out so many times that we have none. Raanta now has to look his teammates in the eye the next 3 games and let them know if he's part of this or not.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
As did you. A round of Toldjaso Ale on me! :D
If we would have signed him this past summer at 4 years $4.5M how would you have felt about that deal on Halloween last year?

I think it would have taken me until about March before I wouldn't have had an Arrested Development "I just made a huge mistake" moment.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If we would have signed him this past summer at 4 years $4.5M how would you have felt about that deal on Halloween last year?

I'd have liked it... no, loved it. I think I was Raanta's biggest tire-pumper from the outset because I fell in love with his game while he was in NY. I might have felt a little cringey given our start and his injury but, IIRC, at that time I was way more critical of Tocchet and the coaching staff than anything else for the poor start. I thought Raanta was a steal when we got him and nothing's really changed my mind since.

Reactions: Yandover and hbk

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'd have liked it... no, loved it. I think I was Raanta's biggest tire-pumper from the outset because I fell in love with his game while he was in NY. I might have felt a little cringey given our start and his injury but, IIRC, at that time I was way more critical of Tocchet and the coaching staff than anything else for the poor start. I thought Raanta was a steal when we got him and nothing's really changed my mind since.
I was more certain on the Stepan side of the equation of that deal; especially given that Vegas passed on Raanta. That being said I am as excited about this team as I've even been.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I was more certain on the Stepan side of the equation of that deal; especially given that Vegas passed on Raanta. That being said I am as excited about this team as I've even been.

I was so thrilled with Chayka's offseason moves that, when we started so badly, I was really second-guessing myself a lot for a while. But I think time has vindicated him. Makes me excited for what he's going to do this summer too. He's a smart kid.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Wake me up when he actually signs something so you can all convince me how much money we saved by not signing him at the deadline and waiting to begin negotiations after it.

Reactions: Yandover and Murf

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Wake me up when he actually signs something so you can all convince me how much money we saved by not signing him at the deadline and waiting to begin negotiations after it.
They didn’t just forget to negotiate man. Raanta camp probably wanted to play out the stretch and both sides were reasonably comfortable something would get done. Chayka wasn’t about to cream his shorts at the idea of getting another late 2nd round pick and figured “what they hey, let’s just work something out when it makes sense to work something out”. There really wasn’t anything of consequence gambled.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
They didn’t just forget to negotiate man. Raanta camp probably wanted to play out the stretch and both sides were reasonably comfortable something would get done. Chayka wasn’t about to cream his shorts at the idea of getting another late 2nd round pick and figured “what they hey, let’s just work something out when it makes sense to work something out”. There really wasn’t anything of consequence gambled.

Other than several million dollars. I think that's Del's point.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

There are still those that believe the intent of any negotiation is to put the screws to the other party. That's not the case if you want to have a long term positive relationship. Yes, we will end up at the higher end of what we thought the range will be but in the end it's still in our range. Furthermore, Raanta earned it and it isn't a contract laced in hope and desperation. Maybe it costs us a couple hundred K more. Maybe we have to tack on an extra year (I still think we were planning on having a goalie play that year). At the end of the day you are solving your 1G problem and setting the stage for a long term positive relationship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad