Prospect Info: Anton Lundell (2020, #12 overall), HIFK (Liiga) - signed ELC 6/7/2021

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Reactions: behemolari

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Sophomore slump, Paul Maurice's garbage 'dump and chase and create chaos' hockey, and a little of something else I can't quite identify.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
marchment was the ideal linemate for him.

i miss marchment :confused:

i am convinced that if yandle waived, he would still be on the team.
Or Giroux. With CG we would have been a 100 pt team this year. Wish we could have kept him instead of Reino

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Didn't know where else to put this but anyone else feel like Lundell has yet to be as creative offensively as he was in his 1st season?

I understand a lot of his production had to do with the insane chemistry between Reinhart and Marchment dominating weak competition. But even in terms of the eye test, I remember him being quite the intelligent passer and he was like a puckhound out there. (Although the latter came back in the playoffs)

Not that i dont think he has those qualities anymore, but I feel like I rarely see it on display. Probably a lot to do with him actually having to carry his own line nowadays and maybe it was just a sophomore slump last year.

But I don't know, I'd like to see more and I hope he takes that next step. I'm not exactly worried, he's still only 22. But I've begun to temper my expectations on his ceiling a bit.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Didn't know where else to put this but anyone else feel like Lundell has yet to be as creative offensively as he was in his 1st season?

I understand a lot of his production had to do with the insane chemistry between Reinhart and Marchment dominating weak competition. But even in terms of the eye test, I remember him being quite the intelligent passer and he was like a puckhound out there. (Although the latter came back in the playoffs)

Not that i dont think he has those qualities anymore, but I feel like I rarely see it on display. Probably a lot to do with him actually having to carry his own line nowadays and maybe it was just a sophomore slump last year.

But I don't know, I'd like to see more and I hope he takes that next step. I'm not exactly worried, he's still only 22. But I've begun to temper my expectations on his ceiling a bit.
Yeah I think a lot of it is having to carry his line. I think he’ll work it out

Reactions: Felidae

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz

Having Cousins and Sourdif with you instead of Reinhart and Marchment is a huge issue. He has never played with the two, and there is a big thing about chemistry and trust in your linemates. Feels like he just nevers dares to risk something - which is alright for a 3C, but there is a lot of creativity in him.

Having Luosto back with him when Benny is back should give him a big boost. I'd try Samo with the 2 instead of Sourdif or Cousins, plays more like Reinhart. But the 4th line seems to be a clear thing for now, therefore Cousins will stay on the 3rd.

Additionally, he might not have completely shaken off his injury from the start of the season - do we know what it was/is? I don't recall reading anything specific about it.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I have lower expectations for Lundell now. At this point, I don’t think he can be anything better than an above average 3rd line center.

He just doesn’t have the tools to produce enough offensively to play top 6 on a regular basis. He’s pretty much average at everything if you think about it.

• Haha
Reactions: FinlandPanther

Justlou4545

Jul 14, 2007
Hialeah,Fl
Having Cousins and Sourdif with you instead of Reinhart and Marchment is a huge issue. He has never played with the two, and there is a big thing about chemistry and trust in your linemates. Feels like he just nevers dares to risk something - which is alright for a 3C, but there is a lot of creativity in him.

Having Luosto back with him when Benny is back should give him a big boost. I'd try Samo with the 2 instead of Sourdif or Cousins, plays more like Reinhart. But the 4th line seems to be a clear thing for now, therefore Cousins will stay on the 3rd.

Additionally, he might not have completely shaken off his injury from the start of the season - do we know what it was/is? I don't recall reading anything specific about it.
100% needs better linemates. I don't think he will ever be one to carry a line on his own ala Barkov but he will be a solid number 2c. Barkov didn't exactly show much until his third season either and he at least had skilled players with him like Hubbie at the time so I am in no rush with him. Sourdif is rookie playing a more defensively sound to try and stay in the line up and please Maurice and Cousins is well, Cousins. Once Benny slides back in it should help his line out a lot.

Reactions: austropanther

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

I think the answer should be: Verhaege-Lundell-Tkachuk. Luostarinen has identical numbers playing with Tkachuk.

I think the idea was that the third line is more dangerous with Lundell instead of Luostarinen, but we need the second line to get moving.

Some data: Over the past two seasons, Goat and Chucky have an even strength change percentage of 68%--which is higher than either of them without the other. Barky and Chucky have a chance percentage of 65%. Part of this is driven by Reino, but, even without Reino, GOAT-Chucky has a higher CF than Bennett-Chucky

Last edited:

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

He looked like that during pre-season, he looked amazing, shot more and all, puckhound back, everything ! I know it wasn’t always against grade-A competition…

I don’t want to put it on an injury, but he did miss a couple of days at the end of training-camp, and hasn’t looked right since.

We’ll see, jury is still out on Lundy !

But it IS a BIG year for him, he has to show it !!

The sooner the better…

Reactions: Ghoste

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
What do you see in Lundell that let you believe he can be a solid top 6?

Like I said in the post you laughed at, he’s average at everything.

He’s still young, but it should be a little bit concerning if he can’t take a next step this year.
I’m not saying it’s not concerning but we all heard about his injury before camp. This is still a young kid who made the NHL early. Wouldn’t be the first time a player struggled a couple years after making the show? Huberdeau sound familiar? Couturier took 6! Years before he became the guy he became.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Yeah even if he becomes just a solid 3rd liner, that doesn't mean he is a bust.

Not a bust but definitely a disappointment if he can't become a 2nd line center or an "elite" 3rd line two way player. Top 10 on a solid 3rd line guy is just poor value.

Still think the jury is out on him.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
He's going to need to figure out how to produce without Reinhart on his wing because we need Reino on the top line with Barky and Erod.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad