Prospect Info: Anton Lundell (2020, #12 overall), HIFK (Liiga) - signed ELC 6/7/2021

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
upload_2021-6-10_11-26-55.png
upload_2021-6-10_11-27-35.png

Arnold at 19ish, much closer

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Maybe Panthers will start him as a winger? I like him a lot more as center so I hope not.

I think he likely starts at wing. Especially if we re-sign Wennberg. It would give Q the opportunity to play him in the top 6 when he's feeling it offensively. Eventually he will be the 2C, but there's no need to rush that at all.

Reactions: harv33173

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
So we can all agree that he is the future governor of Florida as well.

Every Austrian looks like Arny - or at least they speak English like he does

Well sounds like him yes. Just hear Mercedes F1 team boss Toto Wolff talk who is Austrian...

Come with me if you want to win.

Hasta la vista Finnish ice hockey leagues baby. Trust me, I won't be back. Get to the Panthers choppa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panteras

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I'm as excited about Lundell as the rest of you, but I think we're getting carried away in assuming he's got the 2nd line center position locked up by the end of the year.

I'd caution you to remember that it took even Barkov about three seasons to fully acclimate his game to the NHL and become the player that we know today. Let's cool our jets and see what Lundell does on the third line for the time being. We're lucky that he's entering a situation where he's got three or four legitimate veteran NHL centers on the depth chart to work with and learn from. Barkov had, what, Bjugstad and Trocheck his first few years?

I'd be perfectly content if Lundell walks away next season with about 35 points to his name, while playing solid two-way hockey and learning from the veterans around him. We've got some flexible wingers that we can mix and match him with all up and down the top three lines. Let's see who he has chemistry with, while relying on Barkov to be Barkov and Huberdeau to be Huberdeau, before we start making any preemptive declarations about Lundell.

Edit: Totally aside, but I looked it up again and good grief those were some rotten teams we put on the ice. We're probably lucky Barkov didn't bust out. In hindsight the only veteran offensive talent he ever played with was Jagr.

Last edited:

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Edit: Totally aside, but I looked it up again and good grief those were some rotten teams we put on the ice. We're probably lucky Barkov didn't bust out. In hindsight the only veteran offensive talent he ever played with was Jagr.

IMO, Jagr was a great influence on both Barkov and Huberdeau. He showed them what it took to be successful with his incredible work ethic both on and off the ice. They both grew a tremendous amount playing with Jagr.

Still feel bad about how Jagr left the team.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I'm as excited about Lundell as the rest of you, but I think we're getting carried away in assuming he's got the 2nd line center position locked up by the end of the year.

I'd caution you to remember that it took even Barkov about three seasons to fully acclimate his game to the NHL and become the player that we know today. Let's cool our jets and see what Lundell does on the third line for the time being. We're lucky that he's entering a situation where he's got three or four legitimate veteran NHL centers on the depth chart to work with and learn from. Barkov had, what, Bjugstad and Trocheck his first few years?

I'd be perfectly content if Lundell walks away next season with about 35 points to his name, while playing solid two-way hockey and learning from the veterans around him. We've got some flexible wingers that we can mix and match him with all up and down the top three lines. Let's see who he has chemistry with, while relying on Barkov to be Barkov and Huberdeau to be Huberdeau, before we start making any preemptive declarations about Lundell.

Agreed. If Lundell makes the team and makes it through the season, that’s a triumph.

Having said that, I’m reading some of the enthusiasm as intentional joking around. I’m not reading those somewhat hyperbolic comments intended to be taken seriously.

CameronNeely

May 11, 2019
Lundell won't bring anything unexpected. Good or bad. He won't be a mess at least for long period of time. He is a very quick adaptor. He will fit in and make adjustments. Of course there might be a need for some raw strength or other physique issues that need to be fixed. His game is purely consisting of smart positioning read and good plays with the puck. By this I mean he understands very well, which plays have a favourable risk & reeard ratio. He will not bring circus tricks. If he is to become an offensively more efficient he should have more explosiveness and get rid of some of his risk awareness. I wouldn't change that as it is his strength. He is also solidly built. My prediction for his ceiling is a rock solid 2C with great advanced stat figures and lot's of icetime. Points will come depending on the offensive talent on the team. Let's make a bold prediction he will hit 70-80 point mark with +30 rating on his best year.

Reactions: Dutch Panther

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013

It was my first season watching NHL, when Barkov entered the league.
That Panthers team was so bad :laugh:
I agree about Lundell, won't expect him to put up monster points in his first season.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
Third line center to start the season and he’ll address the second line center by the end of the season.

If he has as good as a shot as people say he does, Shouldn't we start his as a winger. I feel like we lack more wingers vs centers.

I just hope he plays aggressive hard hockey.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
IMO, Jagr was a great influence on both Barkov and Huberdeau. He showed them what it took to be successful with his incredible work ethic both on and off the ice. They both grew a tremendous amount playing with Jagr.

Of course Jagr was a great influence and helped the kids to become real pros, but arkov and Huberdeau were elite prospects in their 3rd and 4th seasons in the league. They both were "due" to break out.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
So is Lundell serving in the army gonna affect his start to this season?

No. From what I understand Finland carves out exceptions for professional athletes. My understanding is that he has all the way until 29 to fulfill his obligation, he's just getting a chunk of it out of the way now.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

I’ve said this for years now. Huby was the one becoming a bust or at the very least never living up to his full potential. Barkov was already legit on and off the ice…Jagr just helped take him to a whole another stratosphere.
Maybe Thornton does that for Lundell off the ice this year, and Barkov does it for him over the long haul.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Of course Jagr was a great influence and helped the kids to become real pros, but arkov and Huberdeau were elite prospects in their 3rd and 4th seasons in the league. They both were "due" to break out.

I’d disagree here. Look at Hubys second season and even third season until Jagr came on the scene late. I think Huberdeau first game with Jagr he got two points. And look at Hubys body in year 1/2 vs during and after Jagr. Huby was playing on third line at one point.

Reactions: Prominence Problem

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Maybe Thornton does that for Lundell off the ice this year, and Barkov does it for him over the long haul.

Off topic here but I'd be perfectly content if Thornton gets like literally zero even-strength minutes and only has powerplay duties, dishing out pucks to open space from below the net and along the side-boards. I feel like we have plenty of good forwards who can play center that won't be a speed and transition liability at 5 on 5.

And yes, his off-ice experience and leadership (especially in the weightroom) should be beneficial for a guy like Lundell. Most 20 years olds are hard pressed competing at the NHL strength and physicality department and I imagine Lundell will be no exception.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I’d disagree here. Look at Hubys second season and even third season until Jagr came on the scene late...

I’ve said this for years now. Huby was the one becoming a bust or at the very least never living up to his full potential...

Not to stray too far off topic - and I don't really have a argument to back here - but if memory serves didn't Huberdeau have a really awful like ankle or ligament injury at some point? Wasn't that part of why he had regressed a bit in his sophomore slump? He had some sort of surgery around then, didn't he?

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Not to stray too far off topic - and I don't really have a argument to back here - but if memory serves didn't Huberdeau have a really awful like ankle or ligament injury at some point? Wasn't that part of why he had regressed a bit in his sophomore slump? He had some sort of surgery around then, didn't he?
Yup, sliced his Achilles in preseason at the West Point game.

-ghoste

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
No. From what I understand Finland carves out exceptions for professional athletes. My understanding is that he has all the way until 29 to fulfill his obligation, he's just getting a chunk of it out of the way now.
They can do their military service in short bursts now? Wow. “When I was a young lad in Finland…”

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
They changed the service for athletes some years ago (think it's been 3-4 years), it's supposedly not as big of a joke compared to your regular Joe now. It's still tailored for athletes, but from what I've read they aren't babied like in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad