Player Discussion Anton Lander

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He probably gets another shot at a job on the fourth line. He's our best faceoff guy and was one of our top PKers last season.

But if his offense continues to elude him, he'll be replaced from within fairly quickly.

This. Anton still does a lot of things well. I think he's a decent bounceback candidate if he's not tethered to Korpikoski - I actually wouldn't mind if Lander took his spot.

Hall-RNH-Drai
Maroon-McDavid-New Guy
Pouliot-New Guy - Kassian
Lander-Letestu-Hendricks
Khaira-whoever

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He probably gets another shot at a job on the fourth line. He's our best faceoff guy and was one of our top PKers last season.

But if his offense continues to elude him, he'll be replaced from within fairly quickly.

It's really at that point where they need to decide if the things he does well is enough to compensate for the lack of offense. Is he elite at those things is the question.

I just don't seem him lasting though. TM had a lot of chances to play him and he didn't, he opted to play a winger at center instead.

As for a replacement I wonder if they look at a physical option. Currently we have no center that is physical. Could use one that is

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
McDavid
Drai
RNH
Letestu

We don't need anyone to replace Lander. Lander is fine as a 13th/14th forward as a guy who can step into the lineup if you need him to.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think/hope Lander rebounds next year. He was so good in 2014-15 and so good in World Championships that year. Then he blew it this year and I think it was a confidence thing.

Id be happy with him on 4th line, or on a line with Cagguila so they can both be pests and good two way guys

Cagguila-Shaw-Lander

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
That'll be a great line for the Barons!

Shaw is a 3c on a dominant, nearly every pro scout has Cagguila as an NHLer next year and Lander has been proven to be a quality depth player. If thats your 4th line you are good to go

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I think/hope Lander rebounds next year. He was so good in 2014-15 and so good in World Championships that year. Then he blew it this year and I think it was a confidence thing.

Id be happy with him on 4th line, or on a line with Cagguila so they can both be pests and good two way guys

Cagguila-Shaw-Lander

he was so good for about 20 games of 2014-15. he hasn't yet had one good season. shouldn't be hard to find someone to replace him.

He's a guy who you want to succeed, but hasn't yet or never will completely put it together.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Shaw is a 3c on a dominant, nearly every pro scout has Cagguila as an NHLer next year and Lander has been proven to be a quality depth player. If thats your 4th line you are good to go

I'd happily replace Korpikoski and Letestu with Shaw and Caggiula

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I hope he was playing injured cause he was skating like Colten Tuebert this last year.

Always behind the play and effectively useless offensively.

I am/was a huge supporter of his and have no idea how his game fell so far. He will need to start from scratch in the AHL next year and even if he succeeds I can't really imagine the Oilers offering him another contract.

Sucks. I considered him a can't miss nhl prospect but he isn't showing that way and options moving forward will be limited.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
good depth guy, could bounceback, we had written him off before and then poof played great, lets cross our fingers that happens again

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
good depth guy, could bounceback, we had written him off before and then poof played great, lets cross our fingers that happens again

he's never played great in the NHL for any extended period of time.
had a flash here and there. enough that we hoped he had turned the corner. but he didn't.

I don't mind letting him fight for a job, but he's never shown enough that he is a full time NHL player.

sure he could bounceback, but his initial bounce wasn't all that high to begin with.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
had a flash here and there. enough that we hoped he had turned the corner. but he didn't.

I don't mind letting him fight for a job, but he's never shown enough that he is a full time NHL player.

sure he could bounceback, but his initial bounce wasn't all that high to begin with.

He showed really well in 2015, id say eh played great for about 40 games. But I guess thats only a flash

Next year will be his make or break year. Was Nelson only coach that could get him going? or was he always just a AHL superstar

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
The players that we have been hoping will get it together for a few years now, it's time to move on from them. Lander had a good run during Nelson's time as coach but it wasn't even quite half a season. The player we saw this year is the player we saw numerous times before. No reason we shouldn't be able to replace him with somebody that is more of a sure thing.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

20 points in 38 games says otherwise (and over a PPG in the AHL). And let's not forget that he lead the league in goals last preseason

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
He showed really well in 2015, id say eh played great for about 40 games. But I guess thats only a flash

Next year will be his make or break year. Was Nelson only coach that could get him going? or was he always just a AHL superstar

he didn't even play half a year in the NHL in 2014-2015. so yeah. when he did play well that year if was only a flash of potential.

hockey DB shows 38 games. and he was -12 in those games. that's not great in 38 games for a supposedly talented defensive player.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
20 points in 38 games says otherwise (and over a PPG in the AHL). And let's not forget that he lead the league in goals last preseason

how do AHL stats mean anything when it comes to deciding if a guy is a good NHL player?
leading the preseason in goals also means nothing. how did he play when it counts and the other team played their actual NHL lineup?

I actually like the guy and wish him well, but in reality he hasn't shown enough to be much of an asset for any team, even the bottom feeding oilers. I don't get the strong defense of what he brings to a team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

40 games of a 193 game career is a flash in a pan.

This past season was the make or break year. And he failed to a spectacular level. This is a 25 year old we're talking about now. This is the player he is. He's always sucked defensively at the NHL level (including his good 1/2 season), and outside of one stretch he's sucked offensively too.

He's a nothing player. He's the definition of extra forward/waiver fodder. He brings nothing unqiue to the table and does nothing particularly well. There's a hundred other players not in the NHL that could do exactly what he can do.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
First and foremost. This is an old thread, so hopefully there is no confusion.

Liking Lander this year. I wonder if some of that Pitlick attitude is rubbing off on him. Must've been a huge eye opener to not be picked up on waivers. Has had some chances, hopefully he gets one here soon.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Interview with Lander in Swedish press, please run it through Google translator. ;-)
http://www.hockeysverige.se/2017/02...m-hockey-jojo-man-har-varit-javligt-forbannad

I feel sorry for Lander, I am guessing he will leave North America soon, his family is already in Sweden which obviously hurts him.

Extremely frustrating because I feel he never really got his potential out, a big dissapointment for him and a big dissapointment for me as a fan.

Would be kind of interesting watching Lander in SEL though, I am pretty sure he would take a leadership role immediately and ending up as a SEL MVP, at least showing some of his potential in SEL, playing in pure frustration. ;-) KHL is a possibility too I guess and of course he would do well there too.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
My opinion on Lander. He's too slow to cover enough of the ice as a center. If he adds some more grit to his game and hits everything he sees maybe he can make it as an high energy checking winger, with less defensive responsibilities maybe he can cheat a bit more to show the offence he has in the AHL.

I'm still of the opinion that if it's between Hendricks and Lander. Hendricks will bring more to this team, and he's very slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad