Player Discussion Anton Lander

Oct 15, 2008
People pointing fingers at Yak, Nuge etc. How about Anton ****ing Lander?

17 games played. Zero goals, zero assists, zero points. Donuts. A real kick in the junk. One way ticket to Bakersfield please...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Surprised he turned into a black hole after a strong finish to last season then followed up with a strong pre-season this season.

I think his linemates in pre-season were mainly Leon and Nail, if I recall correctly.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
destined for a 4th line career; and an average one at that.

another under achieving Oilers' prospect. What else is new?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yeah honestly we can rightfully complain about our D. But at least there is light at the end of that tunnel as we watch Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart all figuring it out quickly.

Our bottom 6 is absolutely terrible. They can't buy a goal.

This where our drafting is absolutely biting us in the ***. This is where Pitlick, Lander, Martindale, Moroz, Khaira etc. should have come in to play that role.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Yeah honestly we can rightfully complain about our D. But at least there is light at the end of that tunnel as we watch Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart all figuring it out quickly.

Our bottom 6 is absolutely terrible. They can't buy a goal.

This where our drafting is absolutely biting us in the ***. This is where Pitlick, Lander, Martindale, Moroz, Khaira etc. should have come in to play that role.

^and that is the key reason why Stu and his staff were rightfully let go! there just isn't enough in the cupboard. i think that if Lander should find his way out the door one of these days that Khaira would be the guy to come up and replace him. at roughly 6'4" and 215, he's a big man and fast for his size and seems to be starting to show an offensive touch in the AHL. maybe we shouldn't bring him up? :amazed:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
To me, Lander seems to be one of those players that needs to feel supported. The only coach he's succeeded under has been Nelson, who has always appeared to have his back.

I like the kid a lot, but 0 points is unacceptable.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm pretty sure that Lander's poor play has been pointed out frequently over the last couple of weeks. He and Letestu are the new Belangers then you have a collection of AHLers on the 4th line.

The top line is playing well obviously but you can't win professional hockey games with one good line and a bunch of junk and it's been 4 games now with this lineup and literally nothing from the bottom 3 lines, that's 3 lines creating NOTHING. They were very lucky to win that Anaheim game to be quite honest or else it would have been 0-4 with this lineup.

Time to split up RNH and Drai and when Pouliot returns, I think it's a no brainer to go with Pouliot-RNH-Eberle, Hall-Drai-Yak.

The problem with Lander is that he can't skate which is disappointing because he looked faster in the preseason. If you can't skate in this league, you better bring something else to the table to compensate and he's getting away from what made him successful last season which is getting to the net. He's playing too much on the perimeter as if he's a skilled player and he needs to get that junkyard dog mentality back.

Last edited:

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Its unbelievable.

Strong season last year.. strong international play.. looked to be in great shape in the offseason.. had a good preseason...

and.. NOTHING.

He needs to sit or be sent down.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If the Oilers draft you later than the 1st round, you won't amount to anything more than a tweener/4th liner. This has been the Oilers' bread and butter for tanking the last few years

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If the Oilers draft you later than the 1st round, you won't amount to anything more than a tweener/4th liner. This has been the Oilers' bread and butter for tanking the last few years

This is the part that so many hockey fans out here in Ontario just don't seem to get. I hear it all the time "Tanking isn't the way, look at what those 1st overall picks have done for you!"

There isn't one situation since 2010 where you can say they made a bad choice with their 1st round pick.

You can argue now Seguin over Hall, but Hall was the best player then, and is still a great player now.

You can argue against Yak, but the next 3 guys (one of which we have) weren't that impressive either (Burke may have actually been right when he said they got the best player in the draft).

To have a successful 'tank' rebuild, you have to draft well in the 2nd-4th rounds as well. Draft your coke machines after that...

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If they waive him, he'll get claimed. He's been good on draws, is reliable defensively and on the PK, but the kid simply can't buy a goal. He's been a frustrating prospect to say the least. But he deserves to be on the team.

dd91

May 13, 2012
Might as well give Big Yak a shot. Zero production isn't hard to replace.
I'd actually love to see this. But I am biased as I am a huge Yakimov fan and I believe he has the potential to really surprise people that haven't seen him play much.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I'd actually love to see this. But I am biased as I am a huge Yakimov fan and I believe he has the potential to really surprise people that haven't seen him play much.

I can't see it. Guy has not even proven he is an effective AHLer, let alone an NHL player.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
And this is nothing new about Lander either, the knock on him has always been his inability to produce at the NHL.
It's not like he can't. Last season was a tantalizing look at what a fine player he could be if he ever figures it out.
But it looks he's back in his own head again. He could smooth out his game and resume his scoring ways, but his history isn't promising.

Him and Pajaarvi were strange, strange players to draft in 2009.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I can't see it. Guy has not even proven he is an effective AHLer, let alone an NHL player.

Why does this matter? Some players just need to play with skilled players to tap into their potential. Shattenkirk is a prime example who wasn't doing great in the AHL and then starts lighting it up in the NHL.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This is the part that so many hockey fans out here in Ontario just don't seem to get. I hear it all the time "Tanking isn't the way, look at what those 1st overall picks have done for you!"

There isn't one situation since 2010 where you can say they made a bad choice with their 1st round pick.

You can argue now Seguin over Hall, but Hall was the best player then, and is still a great player now.

You can argue against Yak, but the next 3 guys (one of which we have) weren't that impressive either (Burke may have actually been right when he said they got the best player in the draft).

To have a successful 'tank' rebuild, you have to draft well in the 2nd-4th rounds as well. Draft your coke machines after that...

Yup, pretty much. You can go down the list of teams in the league and they will probably have at least one player who they "stole" past the first round. Just look at Tampa Bay. A large part of their success last season was due to their drafting after the first round. The Oilers really need to improve their drafting or else they aren't going anywhere anytime soon

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
17 games without a point. I don't have words for the amount of suck that translates into.

Only an Oiler could accomplish such a disgusting stat.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Why does this matter? Some players just need to play with skilled players to tap into their potential. Shattenkirk is a prime example who wasn't doing great in the AHL and then starts lighting it up in the NHL.

This team can't risk having players "taking" the night off. We need players to contribute more consistently instead of the ******** "he needs so and so" just to be successful.

I've said 3 years that he hasn't shown much and I still think that. His offensive boom late last season under Nelson was nothing more than an outlier/anomaly

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Seguin was the better player back then and still is now. Additionally, the Oilers desperately needed a Centre. I think Lowe liked the last name Hall better, and that's why he picked Hall.

:popcorn:

This gonna get gooooddd....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad