Anton Lander

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I honestly wonder if both Lander and Klefbom are nursing an injury but instead of getting it looked at the rather play thru it.

It's not good to do but they both seem like proud guys so maybe.

Injury is certainly a possibility. Hope its that cause I just cant believe the Lander of the last year was just an anomaly.

We desperately need guys like Lander and Klefbom to start meeting or exceeding expectations.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
When Eberle gets back we could see

Hendricks-lander-Eberle third line

That third line should destroy and we would have a real potent scoring team

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Lander needs to get off the toilet and start scoring some points! i have heard of slow starts, but jeez....

How did McDavid do playing with Purcell in the pre-season and to start the year? There were threads posted on the main board that McDavid was a bust. Judging by the number of proposals to trade Yak, I don't think people truly understand how much better Yakupov is.

Lander needs better wingers and our depth on the RW is non-existent. We can't afford to trade away whatever valuable pieces we have, Yak and Ebs, unless we bring back another strong RW.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
^that's a cop out. even Purcell, Letestu and Korps have 4, 3 and 3 points each. Lander needs to pick it up.

To be fair though, how many of those points have come from playing with a #1 pick at the time.

No doubt though Lander needs to step it up. However I would like to see him with better linemates.

Might be time two throw the 3 best bottom 6'er together and see what happens with a Hendricks-Lander-Letestu line.

Also I want to see Yakimov get a shot as I'd like to see a Korpi-Yakimov-Pakman/Klinkhammer too

Hall-Drai-Yakupov
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle (just go with what works)
Hendricks-Lander-Letestu
Korpikoski-Yakimov-Pakarinen

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lander is turning into a younger version of Boyd Gordon. Good checker, really good on faceoffs with little offensive production, maybe 6-8 goals a year. Not a bad thing for your 4th line centre.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Lander is turning into a younger version of Boyd Gordon. Good checker, really good on faceoffs with little offensive production, maybe 6-8 goals a year. Not a bad thing for your 4th line centre.

Problem is he's not nearly as good defensively as Gordon. Either because he's too slow, or he doesn't make the right reads.

He also wasn't supposed to be our 4th line center this year. He was supposed to be the 3rd.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Problem is he's not nearly as good defensively as Gordon. Either because he's too slow, or he doesn't make the right reads.

He also wasn't supposed to be our 4th line center this year. He was supposed to be the 3rd.

I always liked Gordon, but I thought he was slowing down last year. And he's never been a very good skater either. As for Landers defensive play, I think it's been fine, the odd lapse here or there, but really not much difference from Gordon. And they're both killers on the dot. The issue with Lander is about expectations. Yes, the hope for him was the 3rd line centre spot, but his lack of offensive production has killed that for now. That would appear to be Letestu's job until Lander gets going.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Lander needs to get off the toilet and start scoring some points! i have heard of slow starts, but jeez....

He doesn't create offence. He might score a bit while playing in the top-6, and might get some secondary assists when grinders or d-men pop a few, but he's not going to light the lamp too often. Might want to lower any expectations one might have.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
When Bonino was owning the Oilers centermen in the dying minutes of the game (like I think he won three, maybe four, big draws in a row - cleanly) coach sent out Lander for the last desperation draw. And he did win the face off.

We do not need Lander to score a bunch of goals. Everyone knows we have first overall picks coming out of our ears. I'm not necessarily a huge Lander fan, although I like the way he's competed for his job and paid his dues. I would certainly give him this whole season before making any sort of final evaluation.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I still say we roll with Lander as 3C. He's not cutting it, but he's winning draws and drawing penalties, so he's not a total loss. Last season he was scoring even when playing with scrubs, and scored even more with skill guys on the powerplay. Sometimes players have a rough start to a season and it's hard to say why. Lander is a character guy who will work his butt off to improve himself.

It's not like we have a ton of options with McDavid out. When McDavid returns we may want to put Drai as 3C but that's a ways away

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
a career fourth liner. nothing more.

meh.

still waiting for that Oilers prospect, not picked in the first round, that actualy manages to over-achieve. Davidson might be it, but it hasn't happened since.... Pisani? Horcoff? Stoll? (though he was early second round). It's been a while.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I know Lander is struggling, but I don't like the way McLellan has used him. He's not going to get out of this playing with AHL'ers. IMO switching Letestu and Lander is beneficial to both lines.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I know Lander is struggling, but I don't like the way McLellan has used him. He's not going to get out of this playing with AHL'ers. IMO switching Letestu and Lander is beneficial to both lines.

He is getting used like a standard bottom 6 forward, and not succeeding at it.

McLellan is fan of a talent loaded top 6. While we have the forwards to make three scoring lines that's generally not considered a great strategy.

The Hall RNH Leon, Poo McD Yak line just shows what a loaded top 6 can do.

This really takes pressure off the bottom 6 to score consistently but doesn't excuse ZERO production this far into the season.

He has been disappointing this year for sure.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
For the guy who is supposedly centering the "shut down" line, the guy is absolutely atrocious at shutting players down, also very bad defensively and yet that's supposed to be what he does well. I have the same issue with Schultz, he's supposed to be a mobile, offensive d-man, and yet when I see him skating he only ever achieves average speed, and his wrist shot absolutely sucks, and he has very little offensive side to his game. It's like we have a defensive forward who can't play defensively and an offensive d-man with no offense.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
For the guy who is supposedly centering the "shut down" line, the guy is absolutely atrocious at shutting players down, also very bad defensively and yet that's supposed to be what he does well. I have the same issue with Schultz, he's supposed to be a mobile, offensive d-man, and yet when I see him skating he only ever achieves average speed, and his wrist shot absolutely sucks, and he has very little offensive side to his game. It's like we have a defensive forward who can't play defensively and an offensive d-man with no offense.

Schultz has had a hard time realising his offensive talents since Eakins took over. But if you watched him in the AHL you would have seen that the skills are absolutely there. He also put up 8 goals and 27 points in 48 games as a rookie.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I've officially written him off.

One of the big positives heading into the season.

Has been the worst player on the forward core.

14gp and not a single ****ing point.. send him down to the AHL.. trade him. I don't care.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Schultz has had a hard time realising his offensive talents since Eakins took over. But if you watched him in the AHL you would have seen that the skills are absolutely there. He also put up 8 goals and 27 points in 48 games as a rookie.

schultz will get another look but this is his last shot. (for me?)

he had some impressive games and a couple stinkers before being injured. he may still be settling into the system but he has done virtually nothing offensively and really needs to speed up his game to get to the level of a competitive top-4 defender.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Its early in the season, and some of these numbers should be taken with limited sample grain of salt. But in addition to the zero boxcars Lander has managed to be on ice for a shocking 3.20 GA/60mins while facing mostly bottomsix opposition in an NHL year where there has been very little support depth scoring.

Lander EV is 2GA for every 60mins he's on. Again an otherworldly shocking number for a bottomsix player. A find a place to hide type of number. A not even remotely competitive number.

Not only is Lander not producing squat he's giving up plenty. A brutal and deadly combination for a club trying to compete.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Its early in the season, and some of these numbers should be taken with limited sample grain of salt. But in addition to the zero boxcars Lander has managed to be on ice for a shocking 3.20 GA/60mins while facing mostly bottomsix opposition in an NHL year where there has been very little support depth scoring.

Lander EV is 2GA for every 60mins he's on. Again an otherworldly shocking number for a bottomsix player. A find a place to hide type of number. A not even remotely competitive number.

Not only is Lander not producing squat he's giving up plenty. A brutal and deadly combination for a club trying to compete.

I don't even know if you need to take those numbers with a grain of salt. They're just a continuation of his entire career in the NHL. People have always been under the impression that Lander is good defensively, and maybe in other lesser leagues he is. But in the NHL he's always been a blackhole at 5v5. Always getting wildly out produced. Last season he made up for it somewhat by being impactful offensively. But he was still getting absolute feasted on in the defensive zone.

The sad fact for Lander so far in his career, is that if he's not providing offense (something he's only done for one stretch in his career in the NHL) he's not an NHL quality player.

He needs to pick it up big time. He was being counted on coming into this season to be a player who would provide some offense. Without that offense he's useless. If he doesn't get it going here sooner rather than later, we need to find someone who can do that job. The 3rd line center role is far too important for a player to have 0's across the board like Lander does.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Lander's score adjusted CF this season is 38.49%. Last season it was 48.44%. And it's not like he is facing other teams 1st or 2nd lines. His line is getting dominated 5v5 mainly against other teams 3rd and 4th lines. It's beyond poor. If it wasn't for faceoffs, drawing penalties and injuries on other forwards, he'd be in the press box, and deservedly so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad