Anton Lander

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I think he's going to be a very good player at this point, from Todd Nelson's promotion on the guy has been nothing short of terrific. Just how good do people think Lander can be? I think he's going to be a quality 2-Way middle 6 center at least and maybe even a very good 2nd line center. I think his upside is even higher than a lot of us want to believe, the AHL results are outstanding for a player his age and he's started performing at the NHL level to an extent that is extremely encouraging. I say he's a 20-25 goal center and he tops 45 points regularly, he's a very complete player who at 24 keeps getting better. Never takes a shift off and never cheats for offense, can be an impact player on both special teams, wins battles, can pass and shoot, quality checker, leader. He's got a lot going for him.

For the Poll the point totals in the brackets are just to give an idea of what kind of production can be considered reasonable for him to produce in a specific role, it's not an exact science so don't vote based on point totals if you don't agree with the range of numbers i used. If you think he can be an elite 2nd line C and score 40 points in a year, call him an elite 2nd line C it's all subjective anyway.

Last edited:

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
I think he's going to be a very good player at this point, from Todd Nelson's promotion on the guy has been nothing short of terrific. Just how good do people think Lander can be? I think he's going to be a quality 2-Way middle 6 center at least and maybe even a very good 2nd line center. I think his upside is even higher than a lot of us want to believe, the AHL results are outstanding for a player his age and he's started performing at the NHL level to an extent that is extremely encouraging. I say he's a 20-25 goal center and he tops 45 points regularly, he's a very complete player who at 24 keeps getting better. Never takes a shift off and never cheats for offense, can be an impact player on both special teams, wins battles, can pass and shoot, quality checker, leader. He's got a lot going for him.

Well if he doesn't get pigeon holed as a bottom six player, I think he could be a huge part of this team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
:yo: Thanks Nelson

We dont deserve Lander. we tried so hard to stick him in bad positions and keep him in AHL (and also waive him). But somehow he fought his way out and is looking pretty good

I have no idea about upside, Swedes are so hard to predict because they kind of always get better as they get older. Lander keeps on improving too

In his 30 games last year he looked like a good to great 3rd liner, but this year he looks like he could suceed on 2nd line.

So I guess my prediction is elite 3rd liner who could slot in top 6 if need be

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Lander has always been a good prospect in my mind and I was pretty floored when he was taking so much abuse from fans and that he was one foot out the door at one point.

He has developed the right way, a few almost full years in the minors where he almost always played terrific, some exposure to the NHL. The two keys for me that he was going to be a player even when it appears he was spinning his wheels? 1) Always played well on the farm and was a Captain, played well in all situations, including offensively and on the pp. 2) Even when not scoring at the nhl level while he was playing with bottom 6 team mates he often actually did get chances.

Very glad we did not give up on him.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Becoming one of my favorite Oilers for sure.
He is exactly the type of hockey player good teams need for success. I look forward to watching him this season.
He just oozes character.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Lander showed flashes of this last season. Then showed even more of it at the World Championships. He seems to have picked right up where he left off. Great story!

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Very early call, but hes a guy I feel would be crucial in playoffs. Heart and soul, gets in the dirty areas and plays an honest game. Hed suceed in that kind of grinding enviroment

Like other people have said, oozes character too and probaly great in the locker room

Has some, dare I say, Ryan Smyth qualities

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm really liking that he actually showed up to camp this year. I had a lot of questions going into this year as he didn't show well last fall.

I can see him being like a Stoll.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'm really liking that he actually showed up to camp this year. I had a lot of questions going into this year as he didn't show well last fall.

I can see him being like a Stoll.

I've been saying Horcoff for awhile now. I think either comparison has merit.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I've been saying Horcoff for awhile now. I think either comparison has merit.

Thats actually a really solid one

He could be a great mentor for McDavid and also Yak. "look at me kid, back in my day I was stuck on 4th line between 2 goons and left to rot. Despite that I found a way to stick it to them, and you can too"

Very useful utlity player who can play almost anywhere in the line up (save for 1c) and succeed. Good on PP, good on PK, good 5 vs 5

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Org has given him plenty of reasons to leave or want to play for another team, yet he keeps coming back. I don't think he acknowledges the word 'quit' as a part of his vocabulary. Captain at every level that he's played other than the NHL.

Killer on the PP ever since Nelson started giving him the chance.

Very valuable player to keep around.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Lander is so hard not to like. Great player and great guy.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
voted good bottom 6 player.

Lander is going to be a very valuable player for us. ES, Defensive zone starts, PP and PK .. He does it all.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Always liked Lander Calrissian but gotta admit that I almost lost faith in him when he was outplayed by Will freaking Acton last preseason but like a lot of others, his game flourished once the Eakins stench wore off.

I'm thinking he could be for the Oilers what Kruger is for Chicago with more offense.
I think on some other teams, he would have 2nd line upside but we know that will never happen here. Perfect 3rd liner for this team and I'd like to see him get 1st unit PP time to be the net presence and clean up the garbage similar to the role that Horc played.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
one of the best hockey players i have ever met. He was very down to earth in OKC, great leader both on and off the ice. Very well respected in locker room.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Lander is looking fantastic. I think a lot of people are going to know his name around the league after this season.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
voted good bottom 6 player.

Lander is going to be a very valuable player for us. ES, Defensive zone starts, PP and PK .. He does it all.

20-30 points bottom six would mean he regresses, correct? I mean he was (is) a good bottom sixer right now and was on pace for 43 points last season.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think his high end is an elite 2nd liner, but I think he'll be a bit below that.

All I can say is well done to Lander, the team gave him a big responsibility in the offseason (3rd line center) and he's walked in and done nothing but prove that was an excellent decision.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Well if he doesn't get pigeon holed as a bottom six player, I think he could be a huge part of this team.

I'd like to see him used like St.Louis used Sobotka, the clear MVP of the bottom 6, a guy you spot in everywhere to go with his line's minutes.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Early in his career - he looked slow and rather weak. I recall him losing every board battle and now he wins majority of them.

Slep and Drai would do well to follow in the same footsteps. Maybe a full year in the AHL to round out their games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad