Confirmed with Link: Anton Lander Signed to 2 year deal

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Good length, and good value.

Hopefully Lander is able to build on this season and has a 35-40 point season next year from the 3rd line. If he could do that, the contract would be one of the best in the league.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The way I look at it is that when it comes to pro sports contracts, the money paid out is based as much on what that player is expected to do, as it is on what that player did in the past.

Given how Lander has looked like a much improved player (and that's selling it short, frankly he looks like a completely different animal now) since Nelson took over and his .5 PPG clip is a testament to that, this deal has the potential to be a huge bargain.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
This guy will be captain someday.

I'm really hoping we pull off a miracle and offload Ference for scraps this off season. It immediately helps this team when he's gone.

The C will be up for grabs, and it had better go to Lander. The guy is a natural born leader.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Mac-t do good?

Player with no negotiating leverage who demanded his agent capitulate in negotiations because he thinks the team will be able to acquire better players if they give him a few hundred thousand less(lol!).

Not much you could do to spin it as "Mact did good" without surrendering all common sense given that it's a no brainer served up on a silver platter.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Player with no negotiating leverage who demanded his agent capitulate in negotiations because he thinks the team will be able to acquire better players if they give him a few hundred thousand less(lol!).

Not much you could do to spin it as "Mact did good" without surrendering all common sense given that it's a no brainer served up on a silver platter.

Who said he did that with the Oilers? I'm pretty sure that was to do with when he was still playing with Timra.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

He was putting up 0.5 PPG while being anchored with plugs for the majority of the season, and he's playing for the Oilers.

He had plenty of negotiating leverage.

"Pay me, or I won't re-sign and go to Europe."

"I'm not playing for your sucky ass team. Trade me."

That said, I don't think this was MacT's success so much as it was Lander being uber professional and loyally Swedish about it.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
He was putting up 0.5 PPG while being anchored with plugs for the majority of the season, and he's playing for the Oilers.

He had plenty of negotiating leverage.

"Pay me, or I won't re-sign and go to Europe."

"I'm not playing for your sucky ass team. Trade me."

That said, I don't think this was MacT's success so much as it was Lander being uber professional and loyally Swedish about it.

I'm pretty sure he was quoted as saying, paraphrased of course, "I wanted to come here and work to get into the NHL. I didn't want to go give up and go back to Europe with my tail between my legs."

Something along the lines of that. The guy is a beauty.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
The first building block of a solid bottom 6 well need going forward. Young, inexpensive, good 2 way player

Gordon/Hendricks are good 4th liners now, but slightly overpaid and cant see them here in 2 years, or being as good (both older)

Bottom 6:

xxx-Lander-Chase
Platzer-Yakimov-xxx

Now its up to Pitlick to turn his career around like Lander, or acquire MPS and for him to do the same under Nelson

Unless Gordon and Hendricks fall off a cliff in terms of their play, I keep signing them until they retire. Those two are amazing for our team right now, and I don't see it changing in a couple of years. Maybe I'm wrong, but we'd have to see a huge drop for them not to be better than what we've had in our bottom 6 for the past several years. And to assume the three players who haven't seen the NHL yet in your proposed lineup will be better than those two(and Klink, to be honest) is silly at this point. If Yakimov, Chase and Platzer show that they are better than Gordon, Hendricks and Klinkhammer - then sure, make that happen. Otherwise, leave the parts of the team that are successful alone.

Also: Lander is awesome. And I love this signing. If his play keeps up next year, steal of a deal.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm really hoping we pull off a miracle and offload Ference for scraps this off season. It immediately helps this team when he's gone.

The C will be up for grabs, and it had better go to Lander. The guy is a natural born leader.

Perfect "what have you done for me lately" post.

Anton Lander has been a good NHL player for 30 games. He's also a guy who every year has been remarkably underwhelming come training camp time. If the C was up for grabs it would be ludicrous to give it to Lander. We can't even sure he's not going to **** the bed again next training camp.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

Anton Lander has been a good NHL player for 30 games. He's also a guy who every year has been remarkably underwhelming come training camp time. If the C was up for grabs it would be ludicrous to give it to Lander. We can't even sure he's not going to **** the bed again next training camp.

As ludicrous as it was to give it to Ference? Boyd Gordon doesn't stay after his contract ends, and neither will Hendricks. Tell me, who is more appropriate to be the next captain after Ference is gone?

In the short sample under Nelson, Lander has already shown to be twice the captain Ference has been on the ice, yet Ference got the C before even stepping on the ice. It's not as far-fetched from reality as you seem to think it is.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010

I think you're both being extreme.

I think the chances of him falling apart are pretty low. That said, when I say "Future Captain", I certainly don't mean tomorrow. If he continues his improved play, and signs another, longer contract, and the C is still up for grabs...I think he may be right there.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Anton Lander:

- At 17, he was made assistant captain of Timra IK in the SEL
- At 22, he was made Captain of Oklahoma City Barons in the AHL

Nope, no proof of leadership capabilities whatsoever.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Anton Lander:

- At 20, he was made captain of team Sweden in WJC

Fixed that for you. ;)

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Anton Lander:

Lander also captained Sweden at the World Juniors.

However, suggesting he should be captain of the Oilers is ridiculous.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Anton Lander:

Nope, no proof of leadership capabilities whatsoever

Who the hell said that?

I don't doubt he has great leadership capabilities. He's demonstrated that to great degree so far in his career.

But he's still been a good NHL player for all of 30 games. Who would be a better option?

How about someone you're sure is actually going to be on the team this time next year. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Fayne, Gordon, Hendricks, Ference. Whoever. All would be better options than Lander for the simple fact that we don't know if Lander is going to be able to sustain this next year.

It's so far fetched it isn't even worth having a legitimate conversation about it. Could Lander be a captain some day? Absolutely. He's demonstrated as much in his career. Will it be next year? Absolutely not. Maybe if he came into next season and was lights out and 1/2 way through the year Ference got traded. Then his name could be thrown into the hat. But otherwise. Literally no chance. It would be insane. But as I said early this board is all "what have you done lately." So right now it's impossible to imagine that Lander might not be able to sustain this success going into next season.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Anton Lander:

Edward Smith and Joseph Hazelwood were made captains as well. Just being made captain doesn't imply you will be a good one...You need more information on the results of their captaincy.

Oh, Smith captained the titanic and Hazelwood was the captain of the Exxon Valdez than ran aground...Just sayin'..:sarcasm:

McDeathbyCheerios*

Who the hell said that?

I don't doubt he has great leadership capabilities. He's demonstrated that to great degree so far in his career.

But he's still been a good NHL player for all of 30 games. Who would be a better option?

How about someone you're sure is actually going to be on the team this time next year. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Fayne, Gordon, Hendricks, Ference. Whoever. All would be better options than Lander for the simple fact that we don't know if Lander is going to be able to sustain this next year.

It's so far fetched it isn't even worth having a legitimate conversation about it. Could Lander be a captain some day? Absolutely. He's demonstrated as much in his career. Will it be next year? Absolutely not. Maybe if he came into next season and was lights out and 1/2 way through the year Ference got traded. Then his name could be thrown into the hat. But otherwise. Literally no chance. It would be insane. But as I said early this board is all "what have you done lately." So right now it's impossible to imagine that Lander might not be able to sustain this success going into next season.
I don't want a captain next year. I want a bunch of As and have somebody earn it.

With the play and attitude this year Hendricks and Lander would be front runners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad