Recalled/Assigned: Anton Lander Recalled

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's certainly showed he could be a very valuable piece for this team. The next step is for him to harness this success and at training camp next year not come in and do the no show he has done the two previous seasons.

Where the hell is the poster that at the start of this season compared Anton Lander's development to that of Nick Bonino's.

Shockingly spot on.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's very clear why he was so loved in Timra.

yep and respected. I still remember being on vacation in either Tunisia or Morocco and talking to a Swedish guy about the Swedes--this was before Lander and Maggs came over. I was high in Maggs and this guy set me straight on Lander--he gushed over Lander and how he was an all around player. He liked Maggs but thought he needed more time in Europe. The guy turned out to be a beat writer for one of the Swedish teams. We still keep in contract. I wont say what he said about Omark--accept for the fact he was spot on

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I remember reading Talent Analysis and Future here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/anton_lander/

And hoped he would manage to survive in the Oilers management fiasco. So happy he appears fairly unscathed...

He hid under the protective shield of Nelson, AKA our saviour.

I can't wait until that idiot of a GM fires Nelson and hires another idiot head coach. We all know it's going to happen. They're just ripping the band-aide off slowly.

Divine Wind

Lander is fast becoming a solid reliable defensive centre with some scoring touch.

Against the Av's....

2 pts...+3....7 SOG...and 11-5 on faceoffs.

He is already one of the most reliable Oiler forwards in terms of puck management.

He has indeed made the most of this opportunity.

Is it Nelson or has he simply hit his stride and found his game? Probably a bit of both, it is nice to see him succeed though. I am sure most of us had given up on him as far as playing any real part with the Oilers going forward. If he can become a 3rd line center that just keeps his current pace and doesn't improve, that still projects to be 44 points. I like the tandem of him and Hall so far.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Is it Nelson or has he simply hit his stride and found his game? Probably a bit of both, it is nice to see him succeed though. I am sure most of us had given up on him as far as playing any real part with the Oilers going forward. If he can become a 3rd line center that just keeps his current pace and doesn't improve, that still projects to be 44 points. I like the tandem of him and Hall so far.

I agree...its probably both.

As mentioned above the next step for Lander is a strong start as the #3 centre next season.

In essence he is a microcosm of this team.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Things were looking pretty brutal for him last year. Nice to see he's turned things around.

He and Pitlick are looking like real NHL players now and it does make our team's drafting record look much better considering how well Lander is turning out.

Divine Wind

I agree...its probably both.

As mentioned above the next step for Lander is a strong start as the #3 centre next season.

In essence he is a microcosm of this team.

I hope we stick with the three tandems we currently have though. I like that line of thinking and just sticking a complimentary guy with each instead of loading up a line or two.

XXXXX - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
XXXXX - Roy - Yakupov
Hall - Lander - XXXXX

I thought they had a lot of trouble defending against the 3rd line tonight and if we can have 3 lines that can score, teams will have a tough time with our depth.

Divine Wind

Things were looking pretty brutal for him last year. Nice to see he's turned things around.

He and Pitlick are looking like real NHL players now and it does make our team's drafting record look much better considering how well Lander is turning out.

I am curious what happens next year and wonder how much it hinges on who is coaching here. Nelson is obviously a boon as his former coach who he was a captain for, but i wonder if another coach can get good results out of him as well.

The more time rolls along, unless we can get Babcock, i am fine with keeping Nelson as HC. He seems to get the most out of his players, and with a couple more top 4 defenders and a goalie, we could make some noise for once and stop being the league's door mat.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I hope we stick with the three tandems we currently have though. I like that line of thinking and just sticking a complimentary guy with each instead of loading up a line or two.

XXXXX - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
XXXXX - Roy - Yakupov
Hall - Lander - XXXXX
Hendricks - Gordon - XXXXX

I thought they had a lot of trouble defending against the 3rd line tonight and if we can have 3 lines that can score, teams will have a tough time with our depth.

I would add Gordon and Hendricks for next season as well. i think Hendricks has at least 1 more good year in him.

This is why a player like Pouliot was such a smart signing...he has the versatility to fit anywhere on the first 3 lines with any pairing.

Divine Wind

I would add Gordon and Hendricks for next season as well. i think Hendricks has at least 1 more good year in him.

This is why a player like Pouliot was such a smart signing...he has the versatility to fit anywhere on the first 3 lines with any pairing.

He definitely does well at playing up and down the line up, i am glad we have him locked up for 3 more years, one less thing to worry about. I like that he has some finish, he doesn't create much, but that is not his role. His contract doesn't give so many people a reason to ***** now as it used to now that he is earning it.

Are you concerned at all that this is a career year for him?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He definitely does well at playing up and down the line up, i am glad we have him locked up for 3 more years, one less thing to worry about. I like that he has some finish, he doesn't create much, but that is not his role. His contract doesn't give so many people a reason to ***** now as it used to now that he is earning it.

Are you concerned at all that this is a career year for him?

Actually I am not all that concerned.
I watched him pretty good last season and he looked like a player that started to figure things out and find his game. He really excelled in the playoffs.
Some players take a little longer than others and his speed, puck pursuit and net presence are qualities this team really needs. His offensive game has been around .40 or better since 2009/10.

MacT has Ef'ed up his fair share but I think this signing was a very good gamble by MacT.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Honestly if he keeps trending as is and him and Hall develop chemistry, he's basically our 2C. He's on pace ATM for 43 points which is pretty good. That's Gagner territory except being good defensively and not as bad in the dot.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Lander Calrissian is my hero. Hopefully him and Hall Solo can find resurfacing Yodapov.

Damn, I was just thinking of that name too.

At the very least, he's showing that he can play at this level.

I've always wanted to see him with a skilled linemate because he's always been saddled with plugs and he's showing that he fits right in with higher skilled players. It shows that he has the potential to be more than just a checking center.

I was concerned when he got beat out by Acton of all people that his career here was headed down the sewer. I'm glad to see that's not the case and I think Nelson deserves a ton of credit for reviving him in the AHL first to build his confidence up to the point where he could transition to the NHL level.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Can't believe we almost lost his for nothing on waivers while the cloud of Eakins suck was hiding everything any of our players were capable of, or what MacT would describe as the time before all our players suddenly started to play better for some unexplainable reason that has nothing to do with coaching. Lander looked awesome out there tonight.

Divine Wind

Actually I am not all that concerned.
I watched him pretty good last season and he looked like a player that started to figure things out and find his game. He really excelled in the playoffs.
Some players take a little longer than others and his speed, puck pursuit and net presence are qualities this team really needs. His offensive game has been around .40 or better since 2009/10.

MacT has Ef'ed up his fair share but I think this signing was a very good gamble by MacT.

The one thing i have noticed compared to earlier in the year is he is not taking close to the amount of dumb penalties he was. I noticed he took a ton in the post season last year, and saw it earlier this year and thought it was a wart that came along with his game. I am glad he has cooled it down since that one stupid spearing penalty, Nelson handled that situation well i think as well and it looks to be paying off.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I mean, we all know he's going to show up to camp next fall, do nothing, and get bumped by Draisaitl and Strome.

Somebody just remind him that he's not a lock for the team next year so he actually shows up in September for once.

Divine Wind

Can't believe we almost lost his for nothing on waivers while the cloud of Eakins suck was hiding everything any of our players were capable of, or as MacT would describe, the time before all our players suddenly started to play better for some unexplainable reason that has nothing to do with coaching. He looked awesome out there tonight.

Yep, we could have added him to the pile with Dubnyk, and to a lesser extent Belov. We are lucky no one else major was traded or allowed to walk during his tenure for bad play under his watch.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The one thing i have noticed compared to earlier in the year is he is not taking close to the amount of dumb penalties he was. I noticed he took a ton in the post season last year, and saw it earlier this year and thought it was a wart that came along with his game. I am glad he has cooled it down since that one stupid spearing penalty, Nelson handled that situation well i think as well and it looks to be paying off.

I disagree...I watched pretty much every Ranger game in the playoffs (and a fair share of reg season games) last year and I wouldnt say at all that Pouliot took a lot of dumb penalties.

He initiates on the forecheck and sometimes he is overly aggressive which can get called but I dont mind that at all. For me its lazy penalties that I consider dumb and he had a problem with that in his early years. Its the reputation from when he was a younger player that some people cant seem to (or simply dont want to) let go of.

Fast forward to the last couple of years and its clear that he has matured.
He is not a prefect player but who is? He does much much more to help his team win than he does to handicap his team and really thats all you can ask of a player that plays his game.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
and to think: Lander was thrown on the Waiver wire scrap heap because Eakins didn't like him

well, its also partly Lander's fault but good for Nelson for reviving his career

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
and to think: Lander was thrown on the Waiver wire scrap heap because Eakins didn't like him

well, its also partly Lander's fault but good for Nelson for reviving his career

This isnt unique. It happens all the time in the NHL.

The example that comes immediately to mind...Glencross was on waivers early in his career as well.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
This isnt unique. It happens all the time in the NHL.

The example that comes immediately to mind...Glencross was on waivers early in his career as well.

Craig Smith was on waivers a couple of years ago as well.

I can't get mad at the Oilers for waiving Lander when the other 29 teams in the league didn't think he was good enough for their roster either. This is his first stint ever (including pre-seasons) where he actually looks like an NHLer.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Craig Smith was on waivers a couple of years ago as well.

I can't get mad at the Oilers for waiving Lander when the other 29 teams in the league didn't think he was good enough for their roster either. This is his first stint ever (including pre-seasons) where he actually looks like an NHLer.

I agree.

In terms of the timing it could also be argued that being waived was part of Landers wake up call. It works that way sometimes.

Divine Wind

I disagree...I watched pretty much every Ranger game in the playoffs (and a fair share of reg season games) last year and I wouldnt say at all that Pouliot took a lot of dumb penalties.

He initiates on the forecheck and sometimes he is overly aggressive which can get called but I dont mind that at all. For me its lazy penalties that I consider dumb and he had a problem with that in his early years. Its the reputation from when he was a younger player that some people cant seem to (or simply dont want to) let go of.

Fast forward to the last couple of years and its clear that he has matured.
He is not a prefect player but who is? He does much much more to help his team win than he does to handicap his team and really thats all you can ask of a player that plays his game.

Fair enough, maybe they just seemed magnified because the team scored during that power play. The type of penalty aside, his PM's rate is down though.

In the Ranger's playoffs last year: 26 PMs in 25 games - 1.04 PMs/G
This year leading up to the spearing incident: 20 PMs in 26 games - 0.77 PMs/G
Games after without a benching by Nelson: 8 PMs in 26 games - 0.31 PMs/G
Career PMs/G: 285 PMs in 423 games - 0.67 PMs

Hmm, after digging up the info and looking at it, it is quite a significant change really since that night, even much lower than his career norms. It also seems that his PM rate during the playoffs was inflated so i not wrong in the fact he was taking a lot of penalties, even for him, though the nature of those calls is fully debatable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad