Recalled/Assigned: Anton Lander Recalled

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I'm unfamiliar with the numbers. I thought they burned the year when he played 10games.

When did they change that?

If we haven't burned a year already then send him down.

We burnt a year of his ELC after 10 games but not a year of his UFA status which is 40 games

A player needs to play 7 years to reach UFA status. Like Gagner a few years ago. So if the team plays 40 games with him on roster than we have only 6 RFA years left. If we send him down after Colorado game we still have 7 RFA years left.

Edit: beaten above

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2012
I don't think it's the worst idea to take someone like Drai and give him a taste of the NHL. You can argue about whether it should've been this many games, but now he knows exactly what he'll be up against and train accordingly.

I agree to the extent that a 9 game look should have been the maximum. Then move him down so we dont burn a year of his contract.

Beyond that he should have been sent down.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I agree to the extent that a 9 game look should have been the maximum. Then move him down so we dont burn a year of his contract.

Beyond that he should have been sent down.

A good GM would have signed a veteran centerman and put Draisatl on the wing, if not sent him back to junior right away. It took MacT 40 games to realize what probably was obvious to most of his peers.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Thanks for the clarification guys. I'm hopeless when it comes to reading the CBA. Can't stand legal jumbo.

I thought it was all the same.

Looks like he's going to get sent down then.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Given how **** everyone looked under Eakins, I'm not sure if this is the right move for Leon.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Thanks for the clarification guys. I'm hopeless when it comes to reading the CBA. Can't stand legal jumbo.

I thought it was all the same.

Looks like he's going to get sent down then.

dont feel bad its not like this stuff is easy to understand. everytime you think you have it figured out some obscure rule comes out of the woodwork.

Jul 19, 2012
I agree but with the number of young players we have it made sense to develop him in Jr. and have safe cap mgmnt.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I agree but with the number of young players we have it made sense to develop him in Jr. and have safe cap mgmnt.
Next year you may have Nurse and this year 1st as rookies, plus Marincin, Klefbom basically in their second year. Would that be a better time to break him in.

I don't think it is really possible to say for certain that either decision would have been best for him. In an article in the Oilers game program Draisatl talked about how much he has learned this year and stated that the NHL game is completely different than junior. He also said that he is gaining confidence as he plays more games, in contrast to what many here think.

As to cap management, that is over stated. Draisaitl's AAV is $3.4M with bonuses. If the Oilers get a top pick this year then in Draisaitl's third year they may well be over the bonus allotment so his cap hit on his ELC might not be much different than what you expect he gets on his second contract unless he really takes off. But if he does, GREAT!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2012
Why bring him in next year either. Look at Gaudreau for example. 4 yrs in college. Detroits development model. Let players play 2-3-4 years in Jr. / AHL to develop slowly. Klefbom was given that time. Why rush. Our model is bring in kids and let them drown.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why bring him in next year either. Look at Gaudreau for example. 4 yrs in college. Detroits development model. Let players play 2-3-4 years in Jr. / AHL to develop slowly. Klefbom was given that time. Why rush. Our model is bring in kids and let them drown.

Playing behind RNH and Gordon isn't putting him in a position to drown IMO. I'd say let's see what he's got next camp as well as who we draft to decide where he should be. Ideally he'd be eligible for the AHL next season if he isn't NHL ready because returning him to the WHL again next season seems like a waste IMO.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I am willing to burn off 1 year of his entry contract--if he plays a few more games we also burn off 1 year of keeping him a little further away from UFA (this is a long term thing) now--he has one good game but had 35 below expected games. He better off heading back to JR for the rest of the year and maybe playing in the memorial cup.

Of the about 20 games I have watched on line this year---I am almost ready to say keep him in juniors for next year as well. He needs to work on his skating

agreed.... although i would like to point out that because of drai's early october birthday, he would be eligible to play in the AHL next season, which is exactly where i would have him play almost the entire year

let him learn the pro game in the AHL for a full season, nothing wrong with that at all

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Next year you may have Nurse and this year 1st as rookies, plus Marincin, Klefbom basically in their second year. Would that be a better time to break him in.

I don't think it is really possible to say for certain that either decision would have been best for him. In an article in the Oilers game program Draisatl talked about how much he has learned this year and stated that the NHL game is completely different than junior. He also said that he is gaining confidence as he plays more games, in contrast to what many here think.

As to cap management, that is over stated. Draisaitl's AAV is $3.4M with bonuses. If the Oilers get a top pick this year then in Draisaitl's third year they may well be over the bonus allotment so his cap hit on his ELC might not be much different than what you expect he gets on his second contract unless he really takes off. But if he does, GREAT!

unless we end up with mceichel, i would send this years first rounder back to junior, and i would have nurse play a full season in the AHL

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
unless we end up with mceichel, i would send this years first rounder back to junior, and i would have nurse play a full season in the AHL

At this point I'd say that the chances of McEichel are at least 75%. I agree that Hanifin, Werenski or one of Strome, Kylington or Marner would probably not play next year.

Nurse will be an Oiler for a good part of next year if not the whole year. Two years post draft for his draft position is actually pretty typical if not a little on the conservative side.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Holland addressed the "Detroit model". He said that they would have had no problem bringing a top pick in early but they never had such players. They also had the luxury of being able to fill most holes with very good UFA's. That luxury is not so much in place for the Wings and their vets are aging so they have more kids on the roster.

Gaudreau played 3 years in college. But he was not 6'2" and 215lbs either.

As for Lander, this is his shot at making a slot for himself in the NHL. If it does not work I would be very surprised to see him stay in North America.

Jul 19, 2012
Holland addressed the "Detroit model". He said that they would have had no problem bringing a top pick in early but they never had such players. They also had the luxury of being able to fill most holes with very good UFA's. That luxury is not so much in place for the Wings and their vets are aging so they have more kids on the roster.

Gaudreau played 3 years in college. But he was not 6'2" and 215lbs either.

I heard the interview with Holland but its clear their preference is to develop in the minors first.
Not the case with this team.

It is not about size but also about maturity and developing skills. Otherwise the league would be overrun with 18 year old 6'4" players. Draisatl is behind the pace of the game on most nights and physically has had his lunch handed to him on more than 1 occasion.

In any case, I will agree to disagree with you that Draisatl and feel that he should have had no more than a 9 game look given the makeup of this team.

Cheers

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I heard the interview with Holland but its clear their preference is to develop in the minors first.
Not the case with this team.

It is not about size but also about maturity and developing skills. Otherwise the league would be overrun with 18 year old 6'4" players. Draisatl is behind the pace of the game on most nights and physically has had his lunch handed to him on more than 1 occasion.

In any case, I will agree to disagree with you that Draisatl and feel that he should have had no more than a 9 game look given the makeup of this team.

Cheers

I would say that for the vast majority of picks it is best to be patient. But picks in the top of the draft are typically quite different. If you look historically at the top 5 picks almost everyone of them plays in the NH by their second year post draft.

Since 2000 the exceptions have been: Torres 2000, Lehtonen 2002, Cam Barker 2004, Benoit Pouliot 2005, Hickey 2007, Pietrangelo 2008, Schenn 2009, Strome 2011, Reinhart 2012.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
As others have stated... the biggest problem was MacT hiring a putrid coach where the entire team was a cesspool of crappy systems and inane slogans and players that were demotivated more and more as time went on... regressing the entire team back to expansion-team quality.

That environment wasn't exactly optimal for Draisaitl to be developed well.

I remain convinced though that the problem wasn't having Draisaitl in the NHL this season. On 29 other teams he would very likely be on the roster and sheltered with vets on the bottom 2 lines playing a wing position most likely. I think he would have developed well and even on the Oilers in this tire fire environment I think he has shown some progress and development against all odds... and I'm convinced under a decent coach like Nelson over the 2nd half of this season he would improve even more.

His main weakness is playing at the NHL tempo and getting used to NHL opposition size and physicality (as all rookies face and have to get used to) and his 2nd issue is his skating... the first issue he'll only get used to at the NHL level and the 2nd he would work on equally well here as in the WHL.

It's actually no guarantee he'll ever be a "great skater" no matter how much he works on it just like some bigger guys like Thornton/Penner etc never developed above average speed either.

So in short... again I'll cast a dissenting vote and say he should stay up and keep playing under Nelson... I think his improvement would be better here at the NHL level than in the WHL.

As to Lander... I agree, probably his last shot at cracking this Oilers squad and actually producing at the NHL level before he rides off into the European sunset like so many have done before him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Lander has penned himself in for the #3 next year, eyeing that #2C too with his play

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Lander is fast becoming a solid reliable defensive centre with some scoring touch.

Against the Av's....

2 pts...+3....7 SOG...and 11-5 on faceoffs.

He is already one of the most reliable Oiler forwards in terms of puck management.

He has indeed made the most of this opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad