Recalled/Assigned: Anton Lander Recalled

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Fair enough, maybe they just seemed magnified because the team scored during that power play. The type of penalty aside, his PM's rate is down though.

In the Ranger's playoffs last year: 26 PMs in 25 games - 1.04 PMs/G
This year leading up to the spearing incident: 20 PMs in 26 games - 0.77 PMs/G
Games after without a benching by Nelson: 8 PMs in 26 games - 0.31 PMs/G
Career PMs/G: 0.67 PMs

Hmm, after digging up the info and looking at it, it is quite a significant change really since that night, even much lower than his career norms. It also seems that his PM rate during the playoffs was inflated so i not wrong in the fact he was taking a lot of penalties, even for him, though the nature of those calls is fully debatable.

Thats the catch...you cant just look at PIMS because it doesnt provide any context.

Divine Wind

Thats the catch...you cant just look at PIMS because it doesnt provide any context.

You do have to admit though, that is a significant decrease, even compared to his career norms it is really low. I guess only the future will tell.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You do have to admit though, that is a significant decrease, even compared to his career norms it is really low. I guess only the future will tell.

It is for sure...and while it does have some importance for me I care more about the situation.

I have more patience for aggressiveness and initiating than I do for laziness and lackadaisical play.

Thats probably why J Schultz drives me to drink. :D

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Justin Schultz suspended and fined a couple times for questionable punishing hits would be a refreshing change of events that's for sure. :)

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Lander was awesome again tonight. This season has been an incredible turn around for him. I think we have Nelson to thank.

I kinda want a Lander jersey.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Lander was awesome again tonight. This season has been an incredible turn around for him. I think we have Nelson to thank.

I kinda want a Lander jersey.

I think we have Lander to thank, consummate professional with strong character and a strong desire to improve, he narrowly avoided becoming a bust with this organization. The only thing we have to thank Nelson about is believing in him and giving him a strong opportunity to show what he has in the NHL and not ask him to play out of position or a different style then he was comfortable like Eakins did. This guy I think would of found success in 85% of the teams in the league, it's only cause he had the misfortune of being drafted by us that his development path was so arduous and winding.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I am curious what happens next year and wonder how much it hinges on who is coaching here. Nelson is obviously a boon as his former coach who he was a captain for, but i wonder if another coach can get good results out of him as well.

The more time rolls along, unless we can get Babcock, i am fine with keeping Nelson as HC. He seems to get the most out of his players, and with a couple more top 4 defenders and a goalie, we could make some noise for once and stop being the league's door mat.

I more or less bare the same sentiment.

There are so many players whom a lot of fans had pretty much given up on that have played very well under Nelson.

We haven't had any of our previous coaches getting those kind of results.... but at the same time our farm team was a complete and utter joke 5 years ago.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
One thing I like about Lander is that he is the guy who would get the nod in a vote of: Most likely to give an opposition player a face wash. He's a bit of a throw back in the way he agitates guys.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
One thing I like about Lander is that he is the guy who would get the nod in a vote of: Most likely to give an opposition player a face wash. He's a bit of a throw back in the way he agitates guys.

He's also the right kind of agitator. He's an agitator because it helps the team. Not because he is an actual *******/head case like for example Sean Avery. Or that he just loses his mind from time to time like Raffi Torres. He uses his will to win and smartness to fairly quietly piss opponents off. He also calmly communicates with the refs which means he won't end up with every ref in the League against him. Very useful player. Him finding his game is fantastic.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think I vaguely remember lander talking trash to both the ref and opposing centreman in his first shift.

I've liked him ever since but I never expected him to be more than. 4th line guy.

Hopefully he keeps scoring to finish the season.

If he pans out and we draft eichel or Strome then we will be flush with centreman out of nowhere.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Lander has been amazing.

He has surprised the hell out of me. He makes smart plays in both ends and seems like he is all business out there.

I like that these guys really seem to give a crap about one another now. It's just sad that we wasted 1.5 years watching brutal hockey and each one of these guys being striped of their confidence.

Thank god, we never have to see that again.

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
Lander is developing into what many of us thought he'd be when he was drafted. I don't recall who from the organization or media said it, but when he was drafted there was talk that he was future captain material. I can see it now.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Wow theres no way I thought he would turn into what he has after the last couple NHL tries. Good for him though.

Actually good for the Oilers for not getting rid of him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Wow theres no way I thought he would turn into what he has after the last couple NHL tries. Good for him though.

Actually good for the Oilers for not getting rid of him.

Tried our hardest. Put him on waivers at the start, essentially offering him up

Hed be added to the list of Brodziak, GlenX and Stoll as solid 3rd liners we gave away.

Glad he passed, because I would hate to be watching him turn into a solid 3rd liner on another team. Lander is exactly what we need on the third line, and is going to be very cheap to

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I had no hope for this guy when he was drafted and every year since. Looks like I may have been wrong. Now I'm hoping he can be our detroit version of a Zetterberg. Yeah I know that's a little crazy but apparently his work ethic is impeccable. Guys like that find a way to be extremely successful.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Pretty much my favorite prospect outside of the 1st rounders... I'm so glad he's turning it around. The guy seems to just ooze character.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Tried our hardest. Put him on waivers at the start, essentially offering him up

Hed be added to the list of Brodziak, GlenX and Stoll as solid 3rd liners we gave away.

Glad he passed, because I would hate to be watching him turn into a solid 3rd liner on another team. Lander is exactly what we need on the third line, and is going to be very cheap to

Lander's been excellent but he certainly wasn't in TC, maybe it was the Eakins factor but the reality was he was outplayed and i'd argue the AHL was good for him.

They didn't give Stoll away, in fact they won that trade pretty cleanly IMO and i really liked Greene. Visnovsky was the Oilers best player when they dealt him and was a Norris candidate in iirc leading Dmen in scoring the next season for Anaheim. Stoll regressed to the point of being a quality checker and Greene was a solid shutdown D that could anchor the 3rd pairing but Visnovsky was a bonafide top pairing Dman.

hmminvisiblecola1279

there are kids in it
Jul 9, 2002
no thanks
Visit site
I have always been bullish on Lander, just knew eventually he would take the opportunity and run with it. It was puzzling to me his play in the AHL to the NHL and clearly in that interview(can't remember the interviewer) he knew what he needed to stick on the team. He could be a captain on this team one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad