Rumor: Anton Khudobin to somebody ?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So Jeff Marek reported yesterday that teams called the Stars asking about Khudobin , who has been in the AHL all season .

What teams could these be and would they be willing to take him back without the Stars having to retain and/or send back something of value ?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The goalie market will be really thin this season. A team like Carolina might not mind having Dobby in the ranks with Raanta and Andersen having injury concerns. He would be a solid backup candidate. We have Kochetkov but there is quite a fall off to Sawchenko.

If Dallas would eat some cap and basically give him away, i could see a deal being of interest to carolina. Dallas may be interested too so they have more cap to make a move

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I predict this going about as well as when teams kept going after Braden Holtby post-Capitals

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I predict this going about as well as when teams kept going after Braden Holtby post-Capitals

Holtby was fine in Dallas before he got injured. No complains there. He was a decent stopgap 1A/1B type goalie when he played.

Khudobin as a #3 insurance policy or a stopgap goalie for the rest of the year with a bad team while their starter is injured ( and you don't want to have a not ready prospect exposed ) should be absolutely fine. Stars could use the capspace and Dobby still wants to play ( which he won't in Dallas ) .

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What teams could these be and would they be willing to take him back without the Stars having to retain and/or send back something of value ?

Don't really see why a team would want a 36 yr old goalie with barely .900 sv pct in AHL

I could see him as part of salary dump in a trade if Stars look to be buyers at deadline but that is about it.

Reactions: Bleedred

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder about Toronto because Murray is injured although to be fair at this point we don't know for how long.

If It's long term there could be a fit.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Don't really see why a team would want a 36 yr old goalie with barely .900 sv pct in AHL

I could see him as part of salary dump in a trade if Stars look to be buyers at deadline but that is about it.

Experienced guy that just wants to go back to the NHL and has no problem getting absolutely shelled . If you're a terrible team and want to shut down or trade your #1 goalie or your backup ( or both ) after the deadline and don't want your prospects get ruined by it if could make sense. You dont have to pay full salary / caphit at that point anyway.

Stars obviously would like to move that caphit for more options at the deadline . Maybe a team can also net some minor assets and Stars retain some.

I don't think a good team would look to aquire him . He'd been bad for 2 straight years and now is stuck in the AHL in the third bad year because of his play. He's been ok in the AHL on a very good Texas Stars team but numbers aren't amazing or anything.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I wonder about Toronto because Murray is injured although to be fair at this point we don't know for how long.

If It's long term there could be a fit.

He's UFA at the end of the season. No idea why'd you want 36 year old Khudobin , who has been bad since signing his extension , long term. But whatever floats your boat i guess

Reactions: Bleedred

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So Jeff Marek reported yesterday that teams called the Stars asking about Khudobin , who has been in the AHL all season .

Even if Dallas retains 50%, they're still saving more than they are now.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Dallas is tight to the cap as is, no chance they retain. Thats why they have him in the minors.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Even if Dallas retains 50%, they're still saving more than they are now.

Sure but the less we have to retain the better and if a team takes his contract without retaining that would be absolutely the best outcome.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I could see it being the Pens with CDS sucking and Jarry's health unreliable at best. He's a guy they could keep in the minors and call up for playoffs when cap isn't an issue.

Reactions: RSPens

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Dallas is tight to the cap as is, no chance they retain. Thats why they have him in the minors.

Well its a bit different with a deadline trade. You don't add the full caphit. Just a % of whats remaining of the season. Stars will have about $2.8M for contracts at the deadline at current pace . Thats not a whole lot . So moving Khudobin even at 50% helps even not by that much. ( Khudobin in the minors saves less than retaining 50% of Khudobins deal even if its just a couple 100K's ) The less Stars have to retain the better obviously

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Release the Kraken!

maybe Kings
maybe Buffalo

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not seeing any team that needs him as a goalie other than a team Bedarding

he can be sent back in a deal to balance out the cap hits.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He's not even good enough for the AHL at this point.

Solid career for someone who had to wait forever for his shot and never got a fair chance at being the guy.

Maybe it was too late in his career but Stars went into the 20-21 season with Khudobin as #1 and his backup was a rookie who had only played 1 season of AHL games and 2 periods of playoff NHL hockey ( one in the WCF and one in the SCF ) . Stars knew Bishop was done from his injury and extended the guy that helped them reach the SCF . Too bad he just couldn't be a #1 goalie and then ended up in the AHL the next year ( where he still is this year )

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
12-3-4 is a solid record for someone not good enough to be in a league.

.904 is not though. Not when, even with full retention, he is making 1.6 mill.

He has negative value, but some team with cap space to burn and needing a warm body may take him since he has some experience. Dallas is giving up assets though. Nothing major, but something like a 4th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad