Rumor: Anton Khudobin to somebody ?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
.904 is not though. Not when, even with full retention, he is making 1.6 mill.

He has negative value, but some team with cap space to burn and needing a warm body may take him since he has some experience. Dallas is giving up assets though. Nothing major, but something like a 4th.
His save % and GAA are still top 25ish. There are 32 AHL teams, so he’s still putting up starter numbers. Not the greatest for his salary for sure, but he’s definitely not too bad for the AHL like the guy I quoted was claiming.

He’s a vet so someone will probably take him for insurance. He’d be a more attractive option than some team’s current 3rd goalies.

Last edited:

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
The goalie market will be really thin this season. A team like Carolina might not mind having Dobby in the ranks with Raanta and Andersen having injury concerns. He would be a solid backup candidate. We have Kochetkov but there is quite a fall off to Sawchenko.

If Dallas would eat some cap and basically give him away, i could see a deal being of interest to carolina. Dallas may be interested too so they have more cap to make a move
I see Matt Murray as a fit for the Canes next year if the Leafs decide to commit to Samsonov.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I see Matt Murray as a fit for the Canes next year if the Leafs decide to commit to Samsonov.
maybe if the price is right. Korpisalo will be an option as we will have a defense that can support his play. Getting another goalie in a similar situation as Murray was last year is an option. Lankinen will likely be highly sought but he meets the age and likely contract requirements for us too.

We'll have options if Toronto is asking too much.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
maybe if the price is right. Korpisalo will be an option as we will have a defense that can support his play. Getting another goalie in a similar situation as Murray was last year is an option. Lankinen will likely be highly sought but he meets the age and likely contract requirements for us too.

We'll have options if Toronto is asking too much.
I can't imagine the leafs getting more than like a conditional 2nd or something. I've seen some bonkers valuations on this website for him. He has definitely graduated from negative value to some positive value.

Last edited:

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
His save % and GAA are still top 25ish. There are 32 AHL teams, so he’s still putting up starter numbers. Not the greatest for his salary for sure, but he’s definitely not too bad for the AHL like the guy I quoted was claiming.

He’s a vet so someone will probably take him for insurance. He’d be a more attractive option than some team’s current 3rd goalies.
By that logic why is Dallas not keeping him? He’s head and shoulders the most attractive #3 option they have.

No one wasting 2.2M+ in cap space for khudobin, especially if Dallas isn’t sweetening the pot

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
There are rumours Cam Talbot could be traded and the Sens top goaltending prospect Mads Sogaard has had an inconsistent injury riddled season. Assuming they move Talbot they'll (likely) bring in a stop gap to sit behind Forsberg for the rest of the season. Assuming the price is extremely cheap there might be a fit here.

I can only assume the or would prefer someone on a cheaper deal, but around the deadline the cash owed certainly won't make a massive difference, so it could still work.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
By that logic why is Dallas not keeping him? He’s head and shoulders the most attractive #3 option they have.

No one wasting 2.2M+ in cap space for khudobin, especially if Dallas isn’t sweetening the pot

We don't need him and the full caphit is in the way if we want to trade for someone at deadline.

By the way deadline capspace works different than start of the season capspace. Much easier to take the Khudobin contract now than it was early in the season

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I suggested Gurinaov+Khudobin for Desmith+Kapanen in a separate thread.

Seemed to be a modicum of agreement.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

Dallas could use the cap space, but the point of this thread is it’s been rumoured teams have called Dallas about his availability. So I don’t know why Dallas would have to sweeten the pot if someone is wanting to acquire Khudohbin

Dallas might have to retain some

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
I could've seen Montreal trying it when Allen was injured, instead of calling up Primeau only to bench him. They probably offered a similar contract (like Dadonov or Drouin at 50%), but I doubt any of Montreal spare parts are useful for Dallas, so they didn't accept.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
We don't need him and the full caphit is in the way if we want to trade for someone at deadline.

By the way deadline capspace works different than start of the season capspace. Much easier to take the Khudobin contract now than it was early in the season
If you dont need him vs the cap space when y'all have #3 1st year pro Matt Murray why would any other contender?

I know how the cap works. How many contenders have acccured cap space? Now out of those teams that have accured 3.6M+ for the deadline, why would they want to blow it on a #3 goalie when Dallas themselves aren't willing to?
Dallas could use the cap space, but the point of this thread is it’s been rumoured teams have called Dallas about his availability. So I don’t know why Dallas would have to sweeten the pot if someone is wanting to acquire Khudohbin

Dallas might have to retain some
Now use that logic and apply it to 31 other teams in the league. Every team, especially contenders could use the cap space.

Just because teams call about a players availability doesn't mean that call didnt go something like: Hey we see you could use some cap space, do you want to pay to dump Khudobin? You think if a team was willing to take him on for free he wouldn't have been dealt by now?

Whats more likely? Teams calling asking if Dallas is willing to pay to dump Dobby, or that teams offered to take him at no cost and Jim Nill declined wanting positive value for him? Even if Dallas retains 50%, they come out ahead with an extra 500k+ that would accure daily. I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet my life on it beign the former rather than the latter.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If you dont need him vs the cap space when y'all have #3 1st year pro Matt Murray why would any other contender?

I know how the cap works. How many contenders have acccured cap space? Now out of those teams that have accured 3.6M+ for the deadline, why would they want to blow it on a #3 goalie when Dallas themselves aren't willing to?

Now use that logic and apply it to 31 other teams in the league. Every team, especially contenders could use the cap space.

Just because teams call about a players availability doesn't mean that call didnt go something like: Hey we see you could use some cap space, do you want to pay to dump Khudobin? You think if a team was willing to take him on for free he wouldn't have been dealt by now?

Whats more likely? Teams calling asking if Dallas is willing to pay to dump Dobby, or that teams offered to take him at no cost and Jim Nill declined wanting positive value for him? I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet my life on it beign the former rather than the latter.

I don't think a contender would trade for him. A bad team looking for a stopgap for a month and a half that can maybe get a midround pick attached + some retention on top seems much more likely .

A veteran who just wants to get back into the NHL to get shelled makes much more sense than a prospect who you might ruin .

Like the Sharks fan who mentioned if they trade Reimer. They're going to need another goalie with Reimer gone. Would you want to have a prospect in net for a terrible team that just sold assets ? I wouldn't

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I don't think a contender would trade for him. A bad team looking for a stopgap for a month and a half that can maybe get a midround pick attached + some retention on top seems much more likely .

A veteran who just wants to get back into the NHL to get shelled makes much more sense than a prospect who you might ruin .

Like the Sharks fan who mentioned if they trade Reimer. They're going to need another goalie with Reimer gone. Would you want to have a prospect in net for a terrible team that just sold assets ? I wouldn't
Thats what fans want but owners are cheap, especially owners of teams that actually have cap space.

You really think even if Dallas retained 50% that SJ's owner is going to be willing to pay another goalie for to play what 5-10 games behind Kahkonen? Add to that, the Sharks have 4 other goalies signed on top of Kahkonen, 1 being Aaron Dell, the NHL veteran with 120+ games and is 33 years old.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Thats what fans want but owners are cheap, especially owners of teams that actually have cap space.

SJ already has Kahkonen and Dell. You really think even if Dallas retained 50% that SJ's owner is going to be willing to pay another goalie for 15ish games when theres 4 in the system after Kahkonen already? 1 of which is 33 with 120+ career games.

I mean someone called about him according to Marek and if thats true i doubt they're expecting to have something big attached for taking on 1.5 months of Khudobin.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I suggested Gurinaov+Khudobin for Desmith+Kapanen in a separate thread.

Seemed to be a modicum of agreement.
That adds cap next year for Dallas. Dallas does not need another goalie especially one taking up future cap. Gurianov and khudobin are done after this year. That’s why it’s a no go for Dallas.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I mean someone called about him according to Marek and if thats true i doubt they're expecting to have something big attached for taking on 1.5 months of Khudobin.
But they prob are expecting 50% ret AND something for their troubles. That or something good for their troubles for no ret. Teams aren’t in the business of helping other teams out of the goodness of their hearts

serp

Jan 17, 2016
But they prob are expecting 50% ret AND something for their troubles. That or something good for their troubles for no ret. Teams aren’t in the business of helping other teams out of the goodness of their hearts

Exact retention numbers and what exactly comes back are part of the negotiation. Alot also depends on who the Stars have as potential targets at the deadline and how much money those pieces add.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022

Whats more likely? Teams calling asking if Dallas is willing to pay to dump Dobby, or that teams offered to take him at no cost and Jim Nill declined wanting positive value for him? Even if Dallas retains 50%, they come out ahead with an extra 500k+ that would accure daily. I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet my life on it beign the former rather than the latter.
For a non betting man I would suggest your first bet NOT be your life. Start a little lower.

That being said I would say there are teams that need a goalie. There are a ton of injuries out there. GMs know he is not being used in the AHL. I’m sure Nill already tried to unload his contract and did not want to pay that price.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Exact retention numbers and what exactly comes back are part of the negotiation. Alot also depends on who the Stars have as potential targets at the deadline and how much money those pieces add.
Thats true but you orginally said either ret or assets going back the other way ideally neither. Obviously neither isn happening unless you're taking on a bigger cap dmp back which is out of the question for Dallas. No team is taking Dobby at 50% for nothing because their owners will say they all have a 3rd string that makes much much less that can play 5 games over 2 months. That leaves attaching an asset with no retention. Now if you want the full caphit gone, thats going to cost at least a 3rd. Only way it makes sense for Dallas is if they line up another deal where they actually find its worth getting the cap space.

The alternative and most realistic thing would be retention + an asset like a 4th or failing young prospect. Even then it may not be worth it until Dallas has planned a use for the space. Why pay to dump 1.6M if you wont end up using it.
For a non betting man I would suggest your first bet NOT be your life. Start a little lower.

That being said I would say there are teams that need a goalie. There are a ton of injuries out there. GMs know he is not being used in the AHL. I’m sure Nill already tried to unload his contract and did not want to pay that price.
it wouldnt be my first bet in life, but would keep me under 5 still. I only bet when the overwhelming odds are in my favour or i'm betting on a fact that the other party is unaware of.

Now of course there are teams that need a goalie with experience. The Canucks themselves could use a Khudobin. The problem is, no one wants a 3.3M goalie thats not NHL caliber anymore, or even that goalie at 1.6M, unless theres major retention + assets going the other way or some good assets going the other way. My whole argument has been Dallas is either paying a decent penny to dump Dobby, or retaining 50% and still paying some sort of asset

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
He's not even good enough for the AHL at this point.

Solid career for someone who had to wait forever for his shot and never got a fair chance at being the guy.

Texas Stars are one of the best teams in the league and Khudobin has been fine.. you watch many Texas games?

I'm not trying to hype Khudobin because he has zero value, but I'm not surprised that a team might be interested in an insurance goalie if their #3 is a young guy and they want something more secure for the playoffs.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Thats true but you orginally said either ret or assets going back the other way ideally neither. Obviously neither isn happening unless you're taking on a bigger cap dmp back which is out of the question for Dallas. No team is taking Dobby at 50% for nothing because their owners will say they all have a 3rd string that makes much much less that can play 5 games over 2 months. That leaves attaching an asset with no retention. Now if you want the full caphit gone, thats going to cost at least a 3rd. Only way it makes sense for Dallas is if they line up another deal where they actually find its worth getting the cap space.

The alternative and most realistic thing would be retention + an asset like a 4th or failing young prospect. Even then it may not be worth it until Dallas has planned a use for the space. Why pay to dump 1.6M if you wont end up using it.

it wouldnt be my first bet in life, but would keep me under 5 still. I only bet when the overwhelming odds are in my favour or i'm betting on a fact that the other party is unaware of.

Now of course there are teams that need a goalie with experience. The Canucks themselves could use a Khudobin. The problem is, no one wants a 3.3M goalie thats not NHL caliber anymore, or even that goalie at 1.6M, unless theres major retention + assets going the other way or some good assets going the other way. My whole argument has been Dallas is either paying a decent penny to dump Dobby, or retaining 50% and still paying some sort of asset

Well you go into negotiations with a maximalist approach and go from there. If you can find someone who just takes the full contract back or for some reason even sends something slightly positive back thats obviously the prefered if unrealistic option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad