Player Discussion Antoine Roussel

beltjones

Dec 4, 2014
www.breakthecipher.com
That "hurt" hand left a welt in the shape of his stick after the contact. He wasn't limited. Really grasping at air here.

I like Roussel too. That doesn't mean we have to turn a blind eye to an obvious mistake ... even a suspendable one. Even if some random 4th liner nailed Sean Avery in the throat. I'd expect the league to do what's right and make sure players' know that can't be tolerated.

This isn't a big deal. He's not running around throwing dangerous checks or has some major flaw with the way he plays like Garbutt some times tends to do. Jamie Benn a few years ago lost his cool and in a lapse of judgement gave a guy a dirty and uncalled for cross check. He was fined because it was his first offense.

Benn didn't repeat the behavior. As long as Roussel cuts it out we just move on.

I'm not excusing anything. Your comment about the welt doesn't even make sense.

Regarding Jamie Benn, he probably should have been suspended for the two-handed hack he took against (IIRC) a Wild player early in the year.

It was an extremely dumb thing to do on Roussel's part. I don't think anyone has denied that, nor has anyone said it wasn't worth a suspension. I'm just saying it's not his usual type of thing to do, and I think part of it was out of character because he couldn't fight because of an injured hand, but what do I know?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm not excusing anything. Your comment about the welt doesn't even make sense.

Regarding Jamie Benn, he probably should have been suspended for the two-handed hack he took against (IIRC) a Wild player early in the year.

It was an extremely dumb thing to do on Roussel's part. I don't think anyone has denied that, nor has anyone said it wasn't worth a suspension. I'm just saying it's not his usual type of thing to do, and I think part of it was out of character because he couldn't fight because of an injured hand, but what do I know?

It makes perfect sense. You're trying to paint this picture that Roussel was defenseless and broken. If his hand was injured, he wouldn't have been able to grip the stick and slam it with enough force into a guys throat that there was visible evidence.

It's a claim that doesn't fit, and doesn't make much sense in the conversation. He also threw a temper tantrum leaving the ice punching the wall and sticks and throwing stuff down the tunnel. His "hurt" hand looked fine then, and if anything he could have just as easily done more damage at that point in that little display.

Like I said ... you're trying to fabricate a scenario where we can justify his actions.

beltjones

Dec 4, 2014
www.breakthecipher.com
It makes perfect sense. You're trying to paint this picture that Roussel was defenseless and broken. If his hand was injured, he wouldn't have been able to grip the stick and slam it with enough force into a guys throat that there was visible evidence.

It's a claim that doesn't fit, and doesn't make much sense in the conversation. He also threw a temper tantrum leaving the ice punching the wall and sticks and throwing stuff down the tunnel. His "hurt" hand looked fine then, and if anything he could have just as easily done more damage at that point in that little display.

Like I said ... you're trying to fabricate a scenario where we can justify his actions.

Really? Any hand injury at all means he couldn't have gripped his stick? That doesn't even make sense, especially considering the kinds of injuries hockey players are expected to play through.

Did you watch the game? He took two pucks to the knuckles in the first few minutes and was in visible pain on the bench.

I am absolutely not trying to paint a picture that Roussel was defenseless and broken. I'm not fabricating anything - the facts speak for themselves, so don't be absurd. My point is that Roussel wasn't going to fight under the circumstances - circumstances where he probably would have normally dropped the gloves - hence the uncharacteristic reaction. I don't know how to make it more simple for you. And again, he's responsible for his actions and for where his stick lands, so it doesn't excuse the behavior, but it does mean that it's not exactly his MO to cross check people to avoid fights.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That's not true at all. Roussel turns down fights often ... quite successfully. Usually he draws a penalty when he does ... at least that's the goal.

Again .. you can't re-write history to fit your narrative.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
McQuaid can't cope with the speed of the Stars, no reason to fight him so he can not skate in the box. Besides, the playbook for the Bruins is to not engage in their tough guy posturing.

beltjones

Dec 4, 2014
www.breakthecipher.com
That's not true at all. Roussel turns down fights often ... quite successfully. Usually he draws a penalty when he does ... at least that's the goal.

Again .. you can't re-write history to fit your narrative.

Ok, you're a troll, so this is my last response.

I didn't say Roussel fights every time, and I didn't say he never turns them down. I said it's uncharacteristic for him to cross check someone rather than fight. Get it? Good lord I don't see why this is so difficult to comprehend.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

I didn't say Roussel fights every time, and I didn't say he never turns them down. I said it's uncharacteristic for him to cross check someone rather than fight. Get it? Good lord I don't see why this is so difficult to comprehend.

New guy jumps the shark

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013

Classy.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
My love for Roussel is classless :D

Is your love as lasting as a Warrior Bow Tie?

:sarcasm:

I love that there's a name for cross checking a guy in the throat. I wonder what it's called when Perry spears you in the boys.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Is your love as lasting as a Warrior Bow Tie?

:sarcasm:

I love that there's a name for cross checking a guy in the throat. I wonder what it's called when Perry spears you in the boys.

As a Habs fan, we call that a "Lucic" :nod:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
2 games seems fair. I was worried they might go more, but this is his first suspension.

I'm happy to see that once again Lindy Ruff pulled no punches saying he couldn't defend those actions.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
i would've wanted a single game tops since were closing in on the playoffs and mcquaid was part of the situation, but i'm definitely a homer for this team :\

...plus i have hate in my heart for the bruins

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
2 games seems fair. I was worried they might go more, but this is his first suspension.

I'm happy to see that once again Lindy Ruff pulled no punches saying he couldn't defend those actions.

My thoughts exactly. Seems like fair discipline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad