Player Discussion Antoine Roussel

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The issue for me all along and I stand by it; when we are supposed to be competing (in another four years lol) we will have 37 year old 4th liners tied to crazy contracts. How many competitive teams have 37 year old fourth liners?

Your fourth liners need to be in the 26-30 range which means we need to be developing those players now and dealing with the growing pains now.

Gaunce now might be worse than beagle ignoring contracts but a developed gaunce at 27/28 is ten times more valuable than beagle at 37 and providing whatever he can
1. They'll have one 37 year old 4th liner with an expiring deal.

2. Washington won last year. Beagle was 32 and the most important player on their 4th line.

3. Gaunce is 24, can't stick in the NHL, cleared waivers earlier this season and has 15 points in well over 100 NHL games.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

forty47seven

May 2, 2009

2. Washington won last year. Beagle was 32 and the most important player on their 4th line.

3. Gaunce is 24, can't stick in the NHL, cleared waivers earlier this season and has 15 points in well over 100 NHL games.

1. They'll have one 37 year old center, one 37 year old winger and one 34 year old winger on expiring contracts worth $12M. That's before you throw in the potential millions in cap recapture penalties if Luongo retires before 2021. The Canucks could be paying all of them not to play in the NHL while Boeser/Pettersson/Horvat are entering their primes. Those 4 year deals signed in the offseason were shortsighted and made a bad situation worse.

2. You're right, 4th line players don't have to be 28-30 years old but that's not the point. The Canucks are presumably a few years away from making a run. How many career 4th liners are still playing at 35-37 years old let alone playing key roles on championship teams? That is very different from being effective at 32.

3. Beagle was just as bad statstically as Gaunce at the same age. He spend half his year in the AHL. Beagle wasn't the same player back then and Guance could still develop.

In general, I agree with you about Gaunce. They play different positions so the debate is moot anyways. Beagle is a much better skater and that's ultimately what's going to hold Gaunce back IMO. Beagle is undoubtedly the better center right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Good read but the end pisses you off as a fan. Dallas offered him a pay cut at 1.5M and Benning came in with a 3M offer. Sounds like we could have signed him for less

If only the Canucks had offered him a two-way deal after his first year with the Wolves. They were so close to having him through his prime...

Vancouver couldn't have been the only team interested on the open market. I doubt the Canucks were the only teams offering him a raise on his $2M salary. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the only team offering 3M or 4 years though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Good read but the end pisses you off as a fan. Dallas offered him a pay cut at 1.5M and Benning came in with a 3M offer. Sounds like we could have signed him for less

You do know that there are other teams right? Dallas' offer is only relevant in terms of whether Roussel was willing to accept a home-town discount. As a Canucks fan, would you have been happier reading that Dallas had no interest in bringing him back? I don't think so.

Of course we could have signed Roussel for less. Would we have been able to sign him for less is a different question. Unless you're a Cup contender you can pretty much say that about every UFA signing. For what it's worth, Rick Dahliwal was reporting that Roussel was signing for more than $3M AAV.

Speaking of his bad season, to me that's the key. Roussel has been remarkably consistent season to season. Two seasons ago, he was actually having a career year when he suffered a wrist injury. Take away last season and $1.5M a year for a Roussel is ridiculous.

I have said this from the start. Roussel is a good player. I don't think Stars fans had any issue with Roussel at $2M AAV. Of course we're getting an older player at a higher AAV who is coming off a bad season.

At the end of the day, I don't think anyone is arguing that Roussel is a steal. But whether he's overpaid or paid fairly he's a good player. After a slow start his play seems to be picking up. You know what you're going to get from Roussel and the Canucks are getting it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Happens all the time in Free Agency, but he's still overpaid. At least he is contributing in his role.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Beagle is riding a reputation from few years ago.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
...why can't we have nice things?

Awful to see one of the few bright spots outside of the big three and Markstrom go out like this.

Well if you are asking for realsies he is a career little-ball-of-hate entering in to his 30s.

It should be expected that he wont be clocking in full hours at this point in his career. We dodged a bullet when he was able to recover from his concussion issues so admirably.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i see the thread title so i assume confirmed he is done. too bad, he's been a great player for us all year.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Very admirable player. Brings it almost every shift and doesn't take **** from no one. Gonna be extremely hard to maintain what he did this year over the next 3 but year 1 was a positive one. Thanks for 18/19 Rouss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad