Player Discussion Antoine Roussel

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
We should literally keep trading all of our picks every year for more and more draft picks. Like trade Hughes for a 2,2,3,4,5. Trade Pettersson for 2,2,2,3,3,4,4 and then next year trade those picks for even more picks, and trade those picks for more picks until we have like 70 picks in one draft, and then win the cup for 15 years.

Am I doing this right?
If you can guarantee 15 Cups i'm in !!:naughty::naughty:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
It would have been ok if we signed Roussel and just left Schaller and Beagle. Always felt he would be the one useful signing of the 3.

There should maybe be a pool who and when the first goal is scored by the other 2.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Anyone else watch a bunch of Dallas games last year?

I love me some Benn Seguin Radulov so I ended up watching some 30 Dallas games...

The Rousell we got is a lady byng contender compared to the rabid dog he was at times last year. Is this just me or are other people seeing this toned down version of him?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Of course it is. Sutter isn't part of our long term plans. He won't be here when we push for playoffs. We have got to stop the bleeding of assets asap.

He's signed for 2 more years. I fully expect the Canucks to "push for playoffs" by then. Besides, his NTC opens up. If Gaudette is ready to take over the 3rd line C spot then ya I'm for trading Sutter. But there's no rush. There's also the expansion draft to contend with.

Anyways this is a Roussel thread.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Im actually ok with the Roussel signing now. Bit of an overpayment but the guy is at least noticeable out there

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
He clearly ain’t the best hockey player but I like his “im here to f@&k sh!t up” mentality, it’s almost like watching a crazy psychopath on skates. Pretty entertaining player to watch, the fact his career started because of the Canucks makes it even better. Don’t mind this signing at all, a rare case under this current idiotic management crew.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What does this guy do? Honestly asking. What is he contributing to this team? Motte looks more useful than this guy

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He the kind of guy you should only go year-to-year or max 2 year deal with to keep him motivated and hungry for his next job.

I disagree. Take away last season and his year to year production has been pretty consistent. And his previous deal was a 4 year contract at $2M AAV. Essentially, his worst year of his last contract was in his contract year.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He is the "go scare the **** out of the other teams defensemen" guy. ie relentless and has some wheels. He isn't producing half bad either. Motte plays smarter but Rousell is more entertaining :p

But he hasnt been relentless.

He chirps a bit, is in the middle of a scrum every now and then but there is no edge to his play this year.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
But he hasnt been relentless.

He chirps a bit, is in the middle of a scrum every now and then but there is no edge to his play this year.

I may be a simple explanation...Perhaps Roussel can't remain disciplined if he's playing with an edge. To stop a parade to the box he had to back off. The issue of course is that by backing off he isn't effective (not that he is when sitting in the box). Either way, while he may be the best UFA signing the last couple of summers that is simply because the bar was set really really really low. It's still a bad signing.

Reactions: Hit the post

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I still think he plays best with Virtanen. They seem to actually be able to sting a pass or two with each other and when he gets in a scrum Jake will grab someone- just not fight them. It also seems to get Jake a little more engaged early because he has to have his head on a swivel for whether Rousell has someone coming for him.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Russell was the best of the three in terms of upside but idk if we can still Say it's an alright deal in year 3/4

You can guess it won't be an alright deal year 3/4. You can guess it will be an alright deal in yr 3/4.
Best just to wait instead of wondering about yr 3/4 in yr 1.

Considering his cap hit, and where the cap may be, his current age, playing style.... it should be near the bottom of future concerns.

Currently... he's on pace for a career year for points after his 29 games. This after he completely missed camp and was jumping into the regular season cold with a new team.

Give him some time... he'll find his groove.. He's got too much speed, work ethic and experience to fall off any cliff. One thing he is is consistent... the other thing he is is a dick to play against... He'll be a crowd favorite still.

Reactions: Zippgunn

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm happy with Roussel he's an energy guy with some skill and size. Can play up in the top 6 when needed but a great 3rd liner to have. Like others have said he always had the best upside of the 3 UFA's we signed and I'm happier now then when we did. Beagle does serve a purpose but Schaller no idea why we signed.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
What does this guy do? Honestly asking. What is he contributing to this team? Motte looks more useful than this guy
Did roussel refuse an autograph? Your hate is hilarious. He was the one signing I supported. Pretty much the only player on the team that is engaged nightly. I’m certain he can be dealt for a pick at either this deadline or next.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
You can guess it won't be an alright deal year 3/4. You can guess it will be an alright deal in yr 3/4.
Best just to wait instead of wondering about yr 3/4 in yr 1.

Considering his cap hit, and where the cap may be, his current age, playing style.... it should be near the bottom of future concerns.

Currently... he's on pace for a career year for points after his 29 games. This after he completely missed camp and was jumping into the regular season cold with a new team.

Give him some time... he'll find his groove.. He's got too much speed, work ethic and experience to fall off any cliff. One thing he is is consistent... the other thing he is is a dick to play against... He'll be a crowd favorite still.

If we can't project how players would do in the future then I'm afraid, a large portion of the discussion in these boards would be deleted.
Statistically, forwards typically regress in their early thirties. It's just unlikely that Roussel maintains his performance during his prime years into his early thirties. The only type of players that can play well into their thirties are star level players. It's also unlikely for a player who is 29 years old to suddenly become better.

Hockey metrics: Measuring when and why NHL players peak | CBC News

The problem with the contract is that it is a bad bet for Roussel to improve or maintain his level of play. If you're gonna give the guy the biggest contract of his career, you would hope that it would be during his actual statistical prime.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The problem with the contract is that it is a bad bet for Roussel to improve or maintain his level of play. If you're gonna give the guy the biggest contract of his career, you would hope that it would be during his actual statistical prime.

But you don't have to give up any other assets to sign a UFA. That has to be factored into the equation.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If we can't project how players would do in the future then I'm afraid, a large portion of the discussion in these boards would be deleted.
Statistically, forwards typically regress in their early thirties. It's just unlikely that Roussel maintains his performance during his prime years into his early thirties. The only type of players that can play well into their thirties are star level players. It's also unlikely for a player who is 29 years old to suddenly become better.

Hockey metrics: Measuring when and why NHL players peak | CBC News

He is for his prime.
He'll be here for his 29, 30, 31, 32 yr old seasons.
What he brings is more than points... and that part of his game decays slower than production anyways...

Production peaks sooner than player effectiveness. I.e. the best all around game of a players career often his after their peak production years.

Its wasted energy to be as concerned as you about Roussel for 31 and 32 aged season... especially when his peak production season is setting up to be yr 1 as a 29 yr old.

Last edited:

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
But you don't have to give up any other assets to sign a UFA. That has to be factored into the equation.

You never have to give up assets to sign players to contracts unless they are restricted free agents which frankly pretty much never happens. I don't see how that's relevant to giving Roussel a big contract.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You never have to give up assets to sign players to contracts unless they are restricted free agents which frankly pretty much never happens. I don't see how that's relevant to giving Roussel a big contract.
The Benning factor. As long as the contract isn’t a Benning Ericsson trash contract, better to have Benning slightly overpay in dollars rather than deal assets to acquire players (which he hasn’t shown a ton of skill at considering the pro scouting has been vastly inferior to the amateur scouting).

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

How are you going to sign a player that you don't have in the first place? You either use a draft pick to obtain a player, or you trade other players/picks to obtain him. Those have value.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
He is for his prime.
He'll be here for his 29, 30, 31, 32 yr old seasons.
What he brings is more than points... and that part of his game decays slower than production anyways...

Production peaks sooner than player effectiveness. I.e. the best all around game of a players career often his after their peak production years.

Its wanted energy to be as concerned as you about Roussel for 31 and 32 aged season... especially when his peak production season is setting up to be yr 1 as a 29 yr old.

I'm afraid I disagree. Players are most effective when they provide production. Most older players focus on the defensive side of the game is because they are unable to contribute in scoring as well as they used to. If they fail to adapt then they would simply be phased out of the league.

I'd actually wait for Roussel to put up a career year before saying it's a peak production season from him. The sample size is quite small and more than half the season is left. He could very well find himself in a scoring slump later on in the season. That being said, I fully expect him to produce around 29 points which is where he has done historically. However, I expect a drop-off in production in year 3-4. I just disagree that notion that he will improve or maintain this level of production during his 3 and 4th year of the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad