Player Discussion Antoine Roussel

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
He's done, I think we'll have an easier time trading Beagle this summer. Just doesn't have the puck skills or awareness to succeed after his decline in skating/quickness.

I knew we should have bought him out this summer. Payout would have been 1.6M, 1.2M, 600K, 600K. It is only marginal savings, but we might need that this year.

Reactions: David71

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
It is humorous that Greener lauds him as a penalty killer when more often than not, it is his stupid penalties they have to kill off.

Greener is just too clever by half.

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
He's done, I think we'll have an easier time trading Beagle this summer. Just doesn't have the puck skills or awareness to succeed after his decline in skating/quickness.

I knew we should have bought him out this summer. Payout would have been 1.6M, 1.2M, 600K, 600K. It is only marginal savings, but we might need that this year.

Can't see him on the team (and maybe even the NHL) next year. Either he's bought out or traded like as a cap dump - 3M cap but only 1.9M in actual dollars so it's definitely moveable but it'd cost us a 2nd? Since we're not competing next year we might as well just buy him out.

Aquaman saves over $600k in real cash and his cap-hit goes down from 3 to about 1.7 next year (+ another 600k cap the year after, but that's marginal).

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Can't see him on the team (and maybe even the NHL) next year. Either he's bought out or traded like as a cap dump - 3M cap but only 1.9M in actual dollars so it's definitely moveable but it'd cost us a 2nd? Since we're not competing next year we might as well just buy him out.

Aquaman saves over $600k in real cash and his cap-hit goes down from 3 to about 1.7 next year (+ another 600k cap the year after, but that's marginal).
If his salary is only 1.7M I’m sure a team trying to reach the floor while spending as little as possible would take him off our hands if we retain 1M. That means they pay him league minimum wages while taking up 2M in cap space. Aquaman still saves 700K too so don’t see why he’d object if he’s willing to buyout the player

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
He races around for one shift every other game and then nothing but penalties or ineffective agitation. No reason he shouldn’t be scratched for a couple games if they do it to JV.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He's been busting his ass. No puck luck and his hands and speed have fallen off. ACL is no joke and his playing style was bound to not age well.

At least he's been playing the PK and outside of the refs screwing him over on a consistent basis hasn't been a defensive liability. He never backs down which is a bonus

I think he likely plays his contract out unless we absolutely need the little cap space a buyout would provide.

He really shouldn't be above the 4th line anymore playing the way he is but Motte can play the right side and rotating with MacEwen gives us a decent rotation of grinders. I still think Mac could move up the lineup from time to time and we don't have anyone ITS to replace Roussel yet. Would hope Gadjovich can do it by the end of the contract.

Beagle and Roussel are the NHL incarnations of Bancks and Hamilton for Green.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks Army lobbying for Roussel to head to the taxi squad once Motte is back from injury. Can't see anyone else who'd be logical to take out of the lineup. The Canucks have really missed 'Motter'.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
He's been busting his ass. No puck luck and his hands and speed have fallen off. ACL is no joke and his playing style was bound to not age well.

At least he's been playing the PK and outside of the refs screwing him over on a consistent basis hasn't been a defensive liability. He never backs down which is a

I think he likely plays his contract out unless we absolutely need the little cap space a buyout would provide.

He really shouldn't be above the 4th line anymore playing the way he is but Motte can play the right side and rotating with MacEwen gives us a decent rotation of grinders. I still think Mac could move up the lineup from time to time and we don't have anyone ITS to replace Roussel yet. Would hope Gadjovich can do it by the end of the contract.

Beagle and Roussel are the NHL incarnations of Bancks and Hamilton for Green.

Pretty much agree with you, the hate he gets here baffles me. He's tied for the team lead in +/- with a +3 so he's good defensively. The refs hate him which sucks. Not the worst player on this team by a fair margin...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty much agree with you, the hate he gets here baffles me. He's tied for the team lead in +/- with a +3 so he's good defensively. The refs hate him which sucks. Not the worst player on this team by a fair margin...
For what he's being paid, he is the worst player on the team, and by a fair margin. You simply can't pay a guy $3m a season to kill penalties; score once every two months; and take as many neutral and offensive zone penalties.

You could pay an AHL-NHL 'tweener' $700 thousand a season, who brings everything and more to the table than Roussel. Come to think of it, they already have a guy like that in MacEwen.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
For what he's being paid, he is the worst player on the team, and by a fair margin. You simply can't pay a guy $3m a season to kill penalties; score once every two months; and take as many neutral and offensive zone penalties.

You could pay an AHL-NHL 'tweener' $700 thousand a season, who brings everything and more to the table than Roussel. Come to think of it, they already have a guy like that in MacEwen.

Yes I get it, he is overpaid. But nobody else on this team brings what he brings to the game and we need it, bad penalties notwithstanding. Hate the contract not the player...

P.S. MacEwan is no Roussel no matter what colour glasses you wear...

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
brutal hands. keeps fanning on his passes and struggles to even dump the puck without icing it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yes I get it, he is overpaid. But nobody else on this team brings what he brings to the game and we need it, bad penalties notwithstanding. Hate the contract not the player...

What he brought to the game or what he brings to the game?

Reactions: Peen

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Injuries wore out his body. No shame in the signing imho (at least I won't argue it). I mean one can argue the specifics of his contract but he more than pulled his weight his first season as a Canuck imho.

Absolutely there's shame in the signing.

He was a guy who should never have got more than a 1-2 year deal in UFA as an aging smallish pest coming off a horrific season. When you stupidly give guys stupid term, you get results like this.

If we'd given Radim Vrbata a 4-year deal, that would have turned out really badly. Because he gave him a 2-year deal, it turned out fine.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Roussel's $3 million contract had been off the books this past off-season, there'd have been enough money to bring back Tofoli. Think about that the next time he lights up the Canucks.

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
BigMac beat the crap out of a player taking shots at Hogs. First time I can recall that happening in a long time.

Meanwhile Rousel has zero intensity other than skating like he going to do something but misses the play as usual, he hits virtually nobody and more often than not takes penalties that kills our momentum.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
BigMac beat the crap out of a player taking shots at Hogs. First time I can recall that happening in a long time.

Meanwhile Rousel has zero intensity other than skating like he going to do something but misses the play as usual, he hits virtually nobody and more often than not takes penalties that kills our momentum.

Erm, he's third on the team in hits so...

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity

I guess you look at a stat sheet and see a guy who is out there hitting and presumably making an impact.

I see a player taking dumb penalties who bumps into opposing players and does nothing else.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I held out a glimmer of hope he'd return to his first season form but I have to admit that was mistaken. He's done. I always thought the Beagle contract would age far more poorly than this one but Beagle has been weirdly ok this season.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It’s just useless hits that do nothing if you watch. The play passes him and he hits a guy instead of going off for a change or getting back quicker.

It’s inconsequential

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I held out a glimmer of hope he'd return to his first season form but I have to admit that was mistaken. He's done. I always thought the Beagle contract would age far more poorly than this one but Beagle has been weirdly ok this season.

Ya that's so unfortunate. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad