Antoine Griezmann appreciation thread

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Pedro material. Not good enough for midtable BPL honestly.

mj-laughing.gif

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Not sure where to begin with some of the comments in this thread.
Sincerely hope some of these were sarcastic.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If it's any consolation he had a haircut.

Anyone thinking he is not good enough for the epl haven't seen him play.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
To be fair Pedro played under the best teams ever. Kind of hard to put him on that pedestal.

And was an important contributor to those best teams ever. But no, let's judge him by whether he can succeed in another league.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
And was an important contributor to those best teams ever. But no, let's judge him by whether he can succeed in another league.

If a player is really considered to be good, very good or even great shouldn't that quality show through regardless of the team or league? Maybe not to the height that it may show if they are in a "perfect" situation, but it should still show.

I'm not commenting on Pedro one way or another, but certainly being a part of a very special team like that can make most players look better than they are.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
If a player is really considered to be good, very good or even great shouldn't that quality show through regardless of the team or league? Maybe not to the height that it may show if they are in a "perfect" situation, but it should still show.

I'm not commenting on Pedro one way or another, but certainly being a part of a very special team like that can make most players look better than they are.

Nope. The ability of any player to shine depends on finding the right context. Even Messi would struggle somewhat playing for a low table EPL side with teammates who are out of sync with him and not able to support him properly. (Not saying that that's what happened at Chelsea this year). Personally I value more highly players who can keep up with world class and all-time greats and be a cog in a great team. Pedro is seriously underrated by many fans.

Griezmann is a very good player, but I don't think he would excel on any team unequivocally. I also don't buy the "look how much he scores on a low-scoring team like Atletico; imagine what he'd do at Real or Barca" argument. I can tell watching his goals that a lot of them are produced by collective movements that have been thoroughly practiced and worked on in advance, and Atletico as a whole is well set-up to give Griezmann chances.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Griezmann is a very good player, but I don't think he would excel on any team unequivocally. I also don't buy the "look how much he scores on a low-scoring team like Atletico; imagine what he'd do at Real or Barca" argument. I can tell watching his goals that a lot of them are produced by collective movements that have been thoroughly practiced and worked on in advance, and Atletico as a whole is well set-up to give Griezmann chances.
Look at Fabregas at Barca vs. Arsenal for comparision.

He was Europe's top chance creator for 3 years on a team that was not that deep.

He was a disappointment at Barca.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Look at Fabregas at Barca vs. Arsenal for comparision.

He was Europe's top chance creator for 3 years on a team that was not that deep.

He was a disappointment at Barca.

Yeah, and it wasn't that surprising that he didn't do well at Barca considering he's not as good in tight spaces as Barca's other midfielders, a weakness that isn't nearly as severe in the EPL. Different players do well in different contexts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad