Anthony Peluso - am I the only guy that thinks he can be much more than a tough guy?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Actually, there is a correlation. The relationship is positive though.
Teams with more fights and/or fighters tend to have more injuries.

However, cause/effect is the issue with that data.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Just throwing my .02 but I'm still high on Glover, I really liked him coming out of the USNTDP.

I'd rate Copp over him though.

Coming out of the USNTDP I liked Jack Doughtery (Nash 2nd round pick ( Nash) and Jack Glover.

I thought it was a steel of a pick in the 3rd round as he was rated much higher. Last year was a rough one for Glover and hope he can bounce back.

- Right now he is not much better than Serville was after his freshman season. If you remember we traded up to draft Seville in the 3rd round of 2011 and it cost us 2 4th rounders in 2011 draft.

edit....... I still like Tony P and he will be a useful Jet this season.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think that's true for a second.

How is he intimidating? He only plays against 4th liners who barely play themselves, and only five minutes a night, so only they need to worry about him, ask any other fighter if they're afraid of some other fighter in the league and they'll say no. Ask a top 6er if they're afraid of Anthony Peluso and you'll get an even funnier answer because they'll say "who?" They don't give a sweet **** about Peluso. Trust me.

With the new rules all Anthony can do is hit hard. Plenty of guys up and down our lineup can hit hard, in fact I think Byfuglien is actually intimidating, Peluso is not. He can't fight anyone with the new rules, only actual opposing goons will even drop the mitts with him. Half the time he even takes penalties hitting guys, you think they're really scared of that, or using it against us?

You won't even see Peluso enacting "vengeance" if an opposing player takes some liberties. Did you see that even once last year? I didn't I saw guys like Ladd, Wheeler, and even Harrison go out and deal with those problems, never ever Peluso.

If you see a game lineup and Peluso is out of it do you ever think, "damn no one will take us seriously now." Of course not, he's a total afterthought and non-factor. Our level of intimidation (which I do believe in) comes from up and down our lineup from guys like Ladd, Wheeler, Stuart, Byfuglien, Lowry, etc. Guys opposing players might you know, actually play against.

I agree he was ineffective last year. But I don't squarely put the blame on him. Slater was ineffective as a 4th line centre. Galiardi did squat. Thorburn playing on his offside with Slater-Peluso was a recipe for moving the puck nowhere.

Now the premise I said was put him out there with Petan-Ehlers to start the year, kind of like the intro Getzlaf-Perry had to the NHL, playing on a 4th line, with Brad May. It's less chip and chase, neutral zone trap, where Peluso did not look very astute. Petan and Ehlers are dangerous with the puck. Peluso gives them space, just by driving the net and crashing the boards. When the puck goes into the offfensive zone corner, Peluso's intimidation factor is that he is huge, and when he hits, it hurts (like Buff). Beyond that, anyone thinks twice about taking a run at the kids, the knuckles are going to come flying, and Peluso knows how to chuck them, probably effectively enough to seriously hurt the perpetrator. That is intimidating. Moreso than a referee's discretion to call a 2 minute penalty (maybe a five if the hit is dirty enough). It can't be quantified, that fear that you put into an opponent, but it can be justified. That's what I would like to see from Peluso. And I said it before, he has a good shot, with Slater, Thor, Galiardi, no one was going to set him up, it was cycle and chase. Petan can dish the sauce, on a 4th line with he and Ehlers, I could see Peluso, with his shot, and crashing the crease, netting 7-10 realistically.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I agree he was ineffective last year. But I don't squarely put the blame on him. Slater was ineffective as a 4th line centre. Galiardi did squat. Thorburn playing on his offside with Slater-Peluso was a recipe for moving the puck nowhere.

Now the premise I said was put him out there with Petan-Ehlers to start the year, kind of like the intro Getzlaf-Perry had to the NHL, playing on a 4th line, with Brad May. It's less chip and chase, neutral zone trap, where Peluso did not look very astute. Petan and Ehlers are dangerous with the puck. Peluso gives them space, just by driving the net and crashing the boards. When the puck goes into the offfensive zone corner, Peluso's intimidation factor is that he is huge, and when he hits, it hurts (like Buff). Beyond that, anyone thinks twice about taking a run at the kids, the knuckles are going to come flying, and Peluso knows how to chuck them, probably effectively enough to seriously hurt the perpetrator. That is intimidating. Moreso than a referee's discretion to call a 2 minute penalty (maybe a five if the hit is dirty enough). It can't be quantified, that fear that you put into an opponent, but it can be justified. That's what I would like to see from Peluso. And I said it before, he has a good shot, with Slater, Thor, Galiardi, no one was going to set him up, it was cycle and chase. Petan can dish the sauce, on a 4th line with he and Ehlers, I could see Peluso, with his shot, and crashing the crease, netting 7-10 realistically.

I'd rather just play any basic power forward who isn't a net negative in his own zone if that's what we wanted from a player with the young ones.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

But realistically Tony would not get put on the same line as Petan and Ehlers? Last year Tony fought 6 times and 4 were against the other teams goon. One time he did what you asked which is jump Bickell for running Enstrom but sadly Toby remained a target for most of the rest of the season especially against teams like the Blues and the Ducks. Like all players Toby needed to fend for himself.

Just like their entire hockey life Nic and Nik will need to figure out how to survive and thrive in the NHL at their current sizes. I think they will both be up to the task without throwing a bad hockey player on their line to hold them back. This is not a new challenge for either of them.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS

so you'd want Ehlers and Petan assuming they make the team to play 5-6 minutes a night with Peluso, so that we can elevate Peluso's game? (or alternatively give them 10-12 minutes a night that they would need if they stick and drag Peluso into that higher ice time?). What a waste.

Also - If I'm anything but a goon, and I take a hit at Ehlers that's questionable, and the Jets goon runs at me, I turtle take a few punches to the back, and laugh as he gets a major and I get my 2 min for boarding. Goon fights are not intimidating. Hard hitting can be. The dirty players in the league don't fight, so they don't get intimidated by goons.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Just to clarify my post from a few days ago.
By "float" I meant skate around the ice with questionable positional awareness and ability to read play on the ice.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just to clarify my post from a few days ago.
By "float" I meant skate around the ice with questionable positional awareness and ability to read play on the ice.

OK, poor choice of words maybe. Would wander be better? :laugh: Drift? No that's too much like float. Can't do it with one word. Run around lost. :)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm line at Graceland but thought I'd leave this here :laugh:
YDfXHgY.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad