Anthony Peluso - am I the only guy that thinks he can be much more than a tough guy?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Depends by what you mean by toughness. If you want to find a team that needed a goon for toughness that was a winning team your going to have to back a long way. Good teams don't use goons (see Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, Boston, Anaheim, Tampa Bay, etc, etc)

Did Carcillo not play for the Hawks during the regular season? Sheldon Brookbank the year before. Not for their hockey skills. What do you consider Shawn Thornton? And how did the Bruins fare without two of their tougher players, he and Boychuk? Wasn't that Robin Reghyr trying to put the knee out on Scheif to begin last season? Jordan Nolan and Dwight King are not out there to intimidate? Anaheim has both Brian Mc Grattan and Tim Jackman on their roster this year. Detroit and Tampa don't deploy goons, they are the new wave of hockey, but their players go down pretty easy, and I don't want to be one of those teams.

In the context you are striving for, I think you are referring to team toughness, as opposed to enforcement, which is the route the NHL is slowly transitioning to, but not all our opponents are.

Peluso definitely has to work on his defensive zone coverage to be a better NHL player. He was the most high-risk of all the 4th liners we used, the shifts hemmed in outnumbered the shifts where we established puck possession. If he was riding shotgun with Petan and Ehlers, I would have more confidence in him game, because his role would be to make space, which he can do effectively. And he has a good shot too, having someone who could feed him a pass, instead of chip and chase might make him a more dangerous player.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Peluso in a nutshell:
Very good fighter
Looks decent in the offensive zone
Absolute travesty in the defensive zone - No situational awareness, bad giveaways, poor positional reads when without the puck, can't properly distribute in the neutral zone, etc.

In conclusion not worth playing over 5 minutes and not really worth playing overall.

We have a tough team as is, we have absolutely no need for a guy like Peluso.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Peluso in a nutshell:
Very good fighter
Absolute travesty in the defensive zone - No situational awareness, bad giveaways, poor positional reads when without the puck, can't properly distribute in the neutral zone, etc.

In conclusion not worth playing over 5 minutes and not really worth playing overall.

Except this is obviously very important to the organization. Maurice/Chevy apparently want this skill set available to them when they feel they need it. As long as Big Anthony is mostly 13/14 I'm okay with him on the roster.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Except this is obviously very important to the organization. Maurice/Chevy apparently want this skill set available to them when they feel they need it. ! As long as Big Anthony is mostly 13/14 I'm okay with him on the roster.

Do you truly believe he was signed to a two year deal - after averaging 50+ games - to not play?

I have my doubts.

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
Peluso in a nutshell:
Very good fighter

In conclusion not worth playing over 5 minutes and not really worth playing overall

Management disagrees

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Peluso in a nutshell:
Very good fighter

Off the ice, as a good Italian boy, he is a good chef, can teach the kids how to make pasta, eat healthy.

Also a beast in the weight room. Peluso in our lineup makes us intimidating. Hockey skills reflect a player who was picked up off waivers, bound for the AHL. You hope a change of linemates, and alot of video/coaching can make him a serviceable player.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Peluso in a nutshell:
Very good fighter

You forgot to add; can't be trusted to stay out of the penalty box!

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I'd rather eat dirt than eat poop.

That's no standard to be held to.

As my father once told me.........

" you will eat what your givin and like it, or you won't eat at all"....:laugh:

Edit.... In my case it was my vegetables...... But I am sure you will grow to love Peluso....after you give him a try.

Last edited:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Edit.... In my case it was my vegetables...... But I am sure you will grow to love Peluso....after you give him a try.

So you're saying Peluso is a vegetable?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Do you truly believe he was signed to a two year deal - after averaging 50+ games - to not play?

I have my doubts.

Yes. Because I have to. I cannot maintain my faith in Chevy/Maurice any other way. The day after he plays 5 min I will insist he was not dressed. It is similar to how I insist that the universe is 6000 years old. I cannot maintain my faith in God any other way. :)

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Off the ice, as a good Italian boy, he is a good chef, can teach the kids how to make pasta, eat healthy.

Also a beast in the weight room. Peluso in our lineup makes us intimidating. Hockey skills reflect a player who was picked up off waivers, bound for the AHL. You hope a change of linemates, and alot of video/coaching can make him a serviceable player.

I don't think that's true for a second.

How is he intimidating? He only plays against 4th liners who barely play themselves, and only five minutes a night, so only they need to worry about him, ask any other fighter if they're afraid of some other fighter in the league and they'll say no. Ask a top 6er if they're afraid of Anthony Peluso and you'll get an even funnier answer because they'll say "who?" They don't give a sweet **** about Peluso. Trust me.

With the new rules all Anthony can do is hit hard. Plenty of guys up and down our lineup can hit hard, in fact I think Byfuglien is actually intimidating, Peluso is not. He can't fight anyone with the new rules, only actual opposing goons will even drop the mitts with him. Half the time he even takes penalties hitting guys, you think they're really scared of that, or using it against us?

You won't even see Peluso enacting "vengeance" if an opposing player takes some liberties. Did you see that even once last year? I didn't I saw guys like Ladd, Wheeler, and even Harrison go out and deal with those problems, never ever Peluso.

If you see a game lineup and Peluso is out of it do you ever think, "damn no one will take us seriously now." Of course not, he's a total afterthought and non-factor. Our level of intimidation (which I do believe in) comes from up and down our lineup from guys like Ladd, Wheeler, Stuart, Byfuglien, Lowry, etc. Guys opposing players might you know, actually play against.

Management disagrees

And they've proven themselves to be infallible, which is why we're paying Pavelec north of 4 million a year this year and the next and why Frolik is now with the Calgary Flames right?

You forgot to add; can't be trusted to stay out of the penalty box!

Yeah, that's another great point. Barely helps us, but manages to find a way to put us at a disadvantage.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

I'd rather eat dirt than eat poop.

That's no standard to be held to.

:handclap:

Best quote of the summer.

So you're saying Peluso is a vegetable?

No I am not saying Tony P is a vegetable..... I am clearly saying Holden should eat s.... "Poop" ( his words not mine). I often dis agree with some of his views and his quote(finally) gave me the opportunity to finally say it.:laugh:

But in all honesty I do appreciate Holden s knowledge on the CBA and hockey in general, but we obviously have dis agreed in the past about the value of certain prospects and players.
Ie.... Tony P, Kulda, Machecek, Copp and Jack Glover.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
No I am not saying Tony P is a vegetable..... I am clearly saying Holden should eat s.... "Poop" ( his words not mine). I often dis agree with some of his views and his quote(finally) gave me the opportunity to finally say it.:laugh:

But in all honesty I do appreciate Holden s knowledge on the CBA and hockey in general, but we obviously have dis agreed in the past about the value of certain prospects and players.
Ie.... Tony P, Kulda, Machecek, Copp and Jack Glover.

You dislike Copp? Since I was the one promoting him before the draft as a good mid round pick.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't think that's true for a second.

How is he intimidating? He only plays against 4th liners who barely play themselves, and only five minutes a night, so only they need to worry about him, ask any other fighter if they're afraid of some other fighter in the league and they'll say no. Ask a top 6er if they're afraid of Anthony Peluso and you'll get an even funnier answer because they'll say "who?" They don't give a sweet **** about Peluso. Trust me.

With the new rules all Anthony can do is hit hard. Plenty of guys up and down our lineup can hit hard, in fact I think Byfuglien is actually intimidating, Peluso is not. He can't fight anyone with the new rules, only actual opposing goons will even drop the mitts with him. Half the time he even takes penalties hitting guys, you think they're really scared of that, or using it against us?

You won't even see Peluso enacting "vengeance" if an opposing player takes some liberties. Did you see that even once last year? I didn't I saw guys like Ladd, Wheeler, and even Harrison go out and deal with those problems, never ever Peluso.

If you see a game lineup and Peluso is out of it do you ever think, "damn no one will take us seriously now." Of course not, he's a total afterthought and non-factor. Our level of intimidation (which I do believe in) comes from up and down our lineup from guys like Ladd, Wheeler, Stuart, Byfuglien, Lowry, etc. Guys opposing players might you know, actually play against.

And they've proven themselves to be infallible, which is why we're paying Pavelec north of 4 million a year this year and the next and why Frolik is now with the Calgary Flames right?

Yeah, that's another great point. Barely helps us, but manages to find a way to put us at a disadvantage.

Exactly. One player does not make anyone tough. Heavyweights do not intimidate since they aren't even on the ice. No one cares. Only people he fights are other fighters.

See the Oilers. They thought adding Gazdic would make them a "tough" team. Nope they are still the softest team in the league since players give two ***** about players at the bottom of the lineup that only fight other goons.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
You dislike Copp? Since I was the one promoting him before the draft as a good mid round pick.

I like Copp a lot......... I was referring to a 2 page discussion we had a year ago why Copp should be rated ahead of Jack Glover ........ in the 2014 prospect rating. ( you were very high on Glover)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Did Carcillo not play for the Hawks during the regular season? Sheldon Brookbank the year before. Not for their hockey skills. What do you consider Shawn Thornton? And how did the Bruins fare without two of their tougher players, he and Boychuk? Wasn't that Robin Reghyr trying to put the knee out on Scheif to begin last season? Jordan Nolan and Dwight King are not out there to intimidate? Anaheim has both Brian Mc Grattan and Tim Jackman on their roster this year. Detroit and Tampa don't deploy goons, they are the new wave of hockey, but their players go down pretty easy, and I don't want to be one of those teams.

In the context you are striving for, I think you are referring to team toughness, as opposed to enforcement, which is the route the NHL is slowly transitioning to, but not all our opponents are.

Peluso definitely has to work on his defensive zone coverage to be a better NHL player. He was the most high-risk of all the 4th liners we used, the shifts hemmed in outnumbered the shifts where we established puck possession. If he was riding shotgun with Petan and Ehlers, I would have more confidence in him game, because his role would be to make space, which he can do effectively. And he has a good shot too, having someone who could feed him a pass, instead of chip and chase might make him a more dangerous player.

Carcillo is more of a cheapshot artist. And probably the only real example you have.

Tim Jackman is Chris Thorburn. A meh safe 4th liner. McGratton doesn't play in NHL anymore. Dwight King had 21 PIMS last year. The guy has never hurt a fly. Really? Nolan is a safe fourth liner that can chip in everywhere. Regehr was a top 4 D. Thornton is again a smart safe 4th line player.

Physical players are important. However they cannot hurt the team by being on the ice. And there is ZERO I repeat ZERO correlation between goons and injuries. This protecting thing a leftover attitude from the freaking 80's. It is not true. Peluso does not have a magic force field to protect Ehlers or Petan. All he will do is hold those players back.

If you want a player to be a grinder on a line to make space there is 300 other big players with some talent available right now that can do that better than Anthony Peluso. Pick one.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I like Copp a lot......... I was referring to a 2 page discussion we had a year ago why Copp should be rated ahead of Jack Glover ........ in the 2014 prospect rating. ( you were very high on Glover)

Just throwing my .02 but I'm still high on Glover, I really liked him coming out of the USNTDP. I think he'll have a better season this year, both because some of the insane depth on defense his team had is now gone and because I think he'll up his physicality. His physicality is one of the main reasons I like him and one of the main reasons he hasn't played much. He's only ever really physical when he needs to be, he's an incredibly cerebral player who is very good with body/stick positioning in defensive situations. Thing is he's big and any coach with a hint of old-school is going to want more physicality. I think he can bring more, but his real strengths are in positioning and skating which is going to translate very well to the NHL imo.

I'd rate Copp over him though. Simply because he's proven more to this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad