Prospect Info: Anthony Mantha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I love this pick. Size and scoring ability. Exactly what we need.

Don't really care about the compete leve/consistency knock. He's 18 years old, there's plenty of guys who had similar criticisms and still became all-star players.

He's going to a great organization with strong leaders and coaching in place. He'll be fine in that regard IMO.

Can't be the worst floater on the team anyway, that spot is already taken until 2020 ;)

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I love this pick. Size and scoring ability. Exactly what we need.

Don't really care about the compete leve/consistency knock. He's 18 years old, there's plenty of guys who had similar criticisms and still became all-star players.

He's going to a great organization with strong leaders and coaching in place. He'll be fine in that regard IMO.

Can't be the worst floater on the team anyway, that spot is already taken until 2020 ;)

Funny because that's the year slotted in for Mantha to see his first NHL ice time, so it all fits together.

RedWingsNow*

Looks like the first 50 goal goal scorer in his draft year as an 18 year old since Primeau

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
If he improves his work ethic...I like the pick. He's got a good skill set...he better learn to bust his butt if he wants to make this roster.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
I don't buy that he has "a poor work ethic and is Lazy". I guarantee you, the wings scouts have done enough due diligence on this guy that if that was a concern, they would not have picked him. It sounds like this was the guy they wanted the whole time.

RedWingsNow*

I don't buy that he has "a poor work ethic and is Lazy". I guarantee you, the wings scouts have done enough due diligence on this guy that if that was a concern, they would not have picked him. It sounds like this was the guy they wanted the whole time.

Like Dick Axelsson?
Seems like a bad guarantee to make, IMO

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Like Dick Axelsson?
Seems like a bad guarantee to make, IMO

Axelsson was also the 62nd overall pick, not the in the top 20. I think it is more than reasonable to assume the Wings scouts and management have done there homework on this guy. They even said they had him rated higher and got lucky to snag him. Doesn't sound like they are too concerned about "worth ethic".

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Grand Rapids is the place to build that work ethic. Chelios is there, Fischer is there. They will put these kids to work.

I would not worry about it at all. Just get the raw talent and mature/develop those guys.

Draft after draft, year after year. That machine will never stop when we get it running like it looks now. Griffins will produce prospects all the time.

apre

Apr 13, 2013
I was actually hoping Wings would get Zadorov. And it was oh so close!

Point Shot

Keep It Realgud
Feb 12, 2013
If he works hard, we have potentially drafted a star who can play like Rick Nash.

If the riffing on his work ethic has any basis in fact, we have drafted a floater who can play like Johan Franzen.

Mantha will play in the NHL simply because of his size and hands. He will probably even stay there. It's just a question of, who is this guy going to be, a star or a schlub?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This guy honestly seems a lot like Corey Perry... Even looks like him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I like that the article says that he has an accurate shot and he was quoted as saying:

Said Mantha of the shot that enabled him to lead the QMJHL in goals: It's not necessarily the force that you put, but more of the precision

With guys like Frk who try to kill the puck, or even Nyquist and Tatar who don't always hit the net as often as you like. Nice to see a guy who says its more important to place the shot.

Also like his confidence:

My approach is really to make the big team next year, if not, in the next two years,'' Mantha said. €œI will show them everything that I can to be there without having to go to the minors.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Any guesses where he will play next year? He said he wants to make the big team but obviously we all know thats not happening. Grand Rapids or one year and then Grand Rapids?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Any guesses where he will play next year? He said he wants to make the big team but obviously we all know thats not happening. Grand Rapids or one year and then Grand Rapids?

Article says another year of juniors then GR. Don't really see the point, but that's what it says.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think he goes straight to GR... he's the right size, the right age and he needs the discipline

edit: oh well

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I love this pick. hunter shinkaruk would have been a good pick to but his size would hurt his chances of making the team. (Babcock) this does the opposite I could see him making the team in 2 years if he has good start in Grand Rapids, then getting put on Pav or Calle's wing right away. I just hope he improves his point totals and adds to his compete level this year. at 18 he could still add an inch and put on 20-30 pounds making him a nightmare to play against.

if I had to do a player I could see him turning into with the Wings really working on his all around game it would be Rick Nash which would be epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad