Confirmed with Link: Anthony Mantha signs 4 year extension ($5.7m cap hit)

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Im kinda surprised Mantha accepted this deal. Figured hed want to go either as long as possible to cash in now, or bet on himself with a 1 year deal.

Yeah, but he's only been healthy for a full season once (I think). That's a pretty big gamble on his part.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1) Stevie is using the uncertainty around the cap to just hammer guys.
2) Stevie doesn't like Mantha enough to make him a Red Wings for life (7/8 year deal).
3) Unless the Wings are in the playoff hunt, I expect Mantha to be traded at the end of year 4 (if not before). This deal could look like a steal depending on how the league/pa work out some of these questions. Or it could look like a steal in a year or two, if/when the NHL returns to normal.

Interesting conclusions to draw. I’d just say it’s a good deal and gives them trade/cap flexibility.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's what I think as well. With a value contract like that I'd expect a good prospect and/or first round picks involved in return from a contending team. In the meantime, I hope we get 3 good years of Mantha/Larkin/Bertuzzi as our transitional core before it's handed off to our 2018 to 2021 draftees.

Or just wait and see how it goes. I don’t think this deal gets done with this in mind necessarily. If he kills it and stays healthy, maybe they are glad to give him another deal and keep him.

Reactions: ShippinItDaily

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Not when he signed it, of course. But he used to be a quality NHL player. Let's not get revisionist just because Holland made a gigantic mistake.

There's nothing revisionist about that.

Everybody and their brother knew that a $5.25M cap hit on Nielsen until he turned 38 was a bad idea.

Reactions: odin1981 and Oddbob

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Meh. Hopefully he can stay healthy and score more than 50 points for the first time in his career...

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Yeah, but the Wings should have the new core fully locked in by then, so moving on from Mantha by that point won't be nearly as big of a deal. The Wings are getting a huge discount on the majority of his prime not sure how you can frame this as a bad thing.
Not trying to frame it as a bad thing.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
More UFA years = More AAV... So just understand then we are going north of that 5.7M number.
I would have been good going well north of 5.7 to get that term. Again it’s a good deal. I just don’t like his next deal coming at age 30. Not everything has to be all good or all bad.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would have been good going well north of 5.7 to get that term. Again it’s a good deal. I just don’t like his next deal coming at age 30. Not everything has to be all good or all bad.

Gotcha. What would you have aimed for on a longer term deal?

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
If he demands 7 years at 30 he's probably going to be sent on his way considering Raymond and Zadina are coming in, and Berggren is showing signs of being a good one himself.
I’m pretty high on mantha. I could see him coming off a 40+ goal 30 yo season and command a 6 or 7 year contract. I certainly wouldn’t want to let him walk when we’re just starting to compete. Would put us in a pretty tight spot.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
That's getting too far ahead imo. A lot can play out in 4 years.

Plus Yzerman has shown a lack of bias towards the players that he has inherited. Everyone of the players that he has signed or re-signed has gotten a pretty fair deal.
It is getting a little far ahead, I agree.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon

I would have been ok with another year and 5%-10% more AAV. I don't see his next deal at 30 being a problem. Either he is worth keeping and happy to sign for another 2-4 years or he isn't. Each year that was tacked on now would have added more risk at the tail end. Like I said though, one more with a higher AAV would have maybe been perfect.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I’m pretty high on mantha. I could see him coming off a 40+ goal 30 yo season and command a 6 or 7 year contract. I certainly wouldn’t want to let him walk when we’re just starting to compete. Would put us in a pretty tight spot.
Highly doubt he will ever score that much. Hope I'm wrong.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Gotcha. What would you have aimed for on a longer term deal?
What’s the max term for a current player? 8 years? I would have been happy with a deal that takes him to 34 for 7+. Then we can walk away or go 1-2 on extension with him likely having regressed on his final season or two and having no legs to demand something that puts us in trouble.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
This the ideal contract from Detroit's perspective.
Yzerman gets 2-3 years out of him and trades him for a Tatar-like package or better.

Needs to be said.
We're paying $5.7M a year to someone who's never topped 25 goals or 48 points.
To a fairly large degree, Yzerman is paying for something that hasn't happened yet.

I shudder to think at what Bergevin would have paid Mantha.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Or just wait and see how it goes. I don’t think this deal gets done with this in mind necessarily. If he kills it and stays healthy, maybe they are glad to give him another deal and keep him.

I think we're going to wait and see how it goes regardless. But Yzerman looks to have learned GMing more from Bowman than Holland and really believes that it's better to trade a player a year too early than a year too late. Drouin for Sergachev, for instance.

Also in 4 years time I would expect the cap to raise to roughly 90ish million, but that's also when we're looking at giving larger contracts to Raymond, Seider, Zadina, Veleno and maybe another couple of young guns. The DRW have a little more foresight when it comes to cap management now than they did previously. If we're talking about keeping Mantha in 4 years it will have to be on a team friendly deal. And in 4 years time if Mantha is still our best player then something terribly went wrong in the rebuild.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What’s the max term for a current player? 8 years? I would have been happy with a deal that takes him to 34 for 7+. Then we can walk away or go 1-2 on extension with him likely having regressed on his final season or two and having no legs to demand something that puts us in trouble.

You think he deserves a 7-8 year deal? I think that is being overly generous, and is the kind of stuff I want to move away from.

I have questions on his consistency/durability still, to where I would much prefer to do the type of deal we did where I can evaluate him again in 4 years and have a much better idea of what he is.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This the ideal contract from Detroit's perspective.
Yzerman gets 2-3 years out of him and trades him for a Tatar-like package or better.

Needs to be said.
We're paying $5.7M a year to someone who's never topped 25 goals or 48 points.
To a fairly large degree, Yzerman is paying for something that hasn't happened yet.

I shudder to think at what Bergevin would have paid Mantha.

I thought you said we hammered him? Now you are saying we overpaid? Do you think it is a good deal or a bad deal?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I thought you said we hammered him? Now you are saying we overpaid? Do you think it is a good deal or a bad deal?

I think we hammered him because of term.
If you look at how the deal is structured
$4.2M
$5.3M
$6.5M
$6.5M
That's just fine to me, as someone who puts mantha about 1/2 way between Mantha's PPG the last two years.
I think we can count on close to 30 goals and 67 points over the course of a season - if he's healthy
For a couple years.
And then the decline.

Mantha probably would have been pretty good with the Wings adding 3 or 4 more $6.5M seasons on the end of his contract.

Better with it than Stevie would have been.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think we hammered him because of term.
If you look at how the deal is structured
$4.2M
$5.3M
$6.5M
$6.5M
That's just fine to me, as someone who puts mantha about 1/2 way between Mantha's PPG the last two years.
I think we can count on close to 30 goals and 67 points over the course of a season.
For a couple years.
And then the decline.

Mantha probably would have been pretty good with the Wings adding 3 or 4 more $6.5M seasons on the end of his contract.

Better with it than Stevie would have been.

Gotcha -- so you would have preferred a longer term deal in this case?

Do you have consistency/durability concerns at all with Mantha?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad