Confirmed with Link: Anthony Mantha signs 4 year extension ($5.7m cap hit)

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Great deal, great term. I'd want to trade or let him walk (depending on whether we are competitive or not) in year 4 though. Absolutely do not want to get locked into a 7 or 8 year deal entirely within his 30s. Basically every contract like that becomes awful fast.
Couldn't agree more with this. If he could be signed at a reasonable deal then I'm okay with it but any UFA contract like that is gonna sting, even if it is for a good AAV upfront. Remember that there was a time when Nielsen was worth his cap hit too.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Not a HUGE fan of 4 years. That puts him at 30 for his next extension. If things go well he demands a 7 year deal at 30 it’s gonna get ugly the last few years.

small gripe.

That's getting too far ahead imo. A lot can play out in 4 years.

Plus Yzerman has shown a lack of bias towards the players that he has inherited. Everyone of the players that he has signed or re-signed has gotten a pretty fair deal.

Reactions: RayMoonDoh

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Still waiting to find out what kind of NTC/NMC is attached. If any.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Same salary as Marc Staal this year... LOL

On the positive side, pretty much every player on this team will be signed to 6M or less. Then we will have guys on ELC's or RFA deals via the draft. So we should have lots of cap flexibility here.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Love this, takes him through his prime at sub $6M, that is amazing considering what he is capable of doing

If he is healthy for the majority of this contract it has to be one of the best value contracts for a winger in the league I'd think? He has been pacing for around 70 points the last couple seasons

If he kills it the next 4 years and is ~30/31 and looking to hit on a big payday in UFA, I wish him all the best and thank him for his services

As has been mentioned in this thread, with Zadina, Raymond, and other wingers already in the fold (Bertuzzi, Fabbri, Berggren, Rasmussen probably plays wing at least some of the time, etc.) the need for Mantha will have passed by that point and I can't imagine Yzerman will want to be tied to Mantha through his 30s on a long-term deal

Reactions: Bench

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Wow! Awesome deal by Stevie Y. I have to imagine that if Yzerman caved to Bertuzzi before arbitration, the Mantha camp likely use that and this deal doesn't happen. Its all a domino effect, and Yzerman played this off season perfectly.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
1) Stevie is using the uncertainty around the cap to just hammer guys.
2) Stevie doesn't like Mantha enough to make him a Red Wings for life (7/8 year deal).
3) Unless the Wings are in the playoff hunt, I expect Mantha to be traded at the end of year 4 (if not before). This deal could look like a steal depending on how the league/pa work out some of these questions. Or it could look like a steal in a year or two, if/when the NHL returns to normal.

Reactions: Winger98

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Not when he signed it, of course. But he used to be a quality NHL player. Let's not get revisionist just because Holland made a gigantic mistake.

I hated that contract when it was signed, but it was "market value" at the time. I remember reading an article out of NY that Nielsen was offered more by the Islanders but turned it down. Anytime you sign mediocre players in free agency to long term deals, it almost always blows up in your face. Nielsen, Ladd, Loui Eriksson, Backes, Lucic etc.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
good deal but at this price i'd have liked to see what a few more years would have cost

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
So GMSY gets Mantha at 5.7, and Bertuzzi at 3.5.

GMMB gets Gallagher extended at 6.5, and signs Josh Anderson for 5.5.

If healthy I think our duo is the superior pair of wingers. I love it. I can just imagine how angry Montreal fans are at this right now.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Im kinda surprised Mantha accepted this deal. Figured hed want to go either as long as possible to cash in now, or bet on himself with a 1 year deal.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I hated that contract when it was signed, but it was "market value" at the time. I remember reading an article out of NY that Nielsen was offered more by the Islanders but turned it down. Anytime you sign mediocre players in free agency to long term deals, it almost always blows up in your face. Nielsen, Ladd, Loui Eriksson, Backes, Lucic etc.

Also, the Wings were in a rough spot at the position that summer. Datsyuk was gone, Zetterberg cratered after 40 games returning from back surgery, and Larkin had played wing his entire first season. Our centers going into the next year were Helm and Glendening. If Zetterberg hadn't cratered for the last half of the season, I could see Holland not being so gung-ho for a center, or if Larkin had spent more time in the middle, or if Weiss hadn't imploded, etc.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Traded.
Book it. Year 3 or Year 4.

That's what I think as well. With a value contract like that I'd expect a good prospect and/or first round picks involved in return from a contending team. In the meantime, I hope we get 3 good years of Mantha/Larkin/Bertuzzi as our transitional core before it's handed off to our 2018 to 2021 draftees.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Im kinda surprised Mantha accepted this deal. Figured hed want to go either as long as possible to cash in now, or bet on himself with a 1 year deal.

I am and I'm not. Hockey players are weird with contracts. I think a lot of them leave money on the table in favor of "stability" or some other quality. Rarely do you see them go out and really chase a contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad