Recalled/Assigned: Anthony Duclair Recalled From Tucson

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Yeah I can see why these guys are being kept apart. All that scoring takes away from defense... :sarcasm:

Half of the first video is from WJCs. While the talent level is evident across teams, the NHL, as a product, is going to have far greater challenges than in the WJC.

The latter half of the first video - I counted three or four different games that build your point. 3 or 4 games out of 82. So, basically 5% of the games from last year to illustrate how well that dynamic worked in scoring.

Obviously there is more to the game than just putting points on the stat sheet, but if there was about 10 different games where Duclair and Domi were doing that to NHL teams, then I see the argument.

Maybe Duclair is a little more one-dimensional than realized and we need to start seeing some expansion on those dimensions that he needs work on.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Is this the message board equivalent of a subtweet :P

I see lots of folks happy he's back up :dunno:

If you're talking about my criticisms, I never took a hard stance on Duclair going down one way or the other so you're off base. I probably wouldn't have sent him down in the first place but I didn't care much that he was.

But no one has still really answered the question better than Feckless's "well sending him down didn't work" line. That's not exactly confidence inspiring to someone skeptical of this teams ability to develop prospects once under their control.

Maybe that is not a question that can be answered yet. He had a great first year. And I think that masked a few (maybe more than a few) negatives that we didn't know about. Our expectations are high, as they should be for athletes, but maybe we are also at fault for pinning an expectation that may not be reached.

Sorry for bringing it up, but it was like when Yandle was believed to be a 65-70 point defenseman by many on these boards. When you put an expectation on someone or something, it becomes an all or nothing ticket. As we are seeing here, some people are all in on Duclair needing to fix his own game. Others are all in on the coaching limiting him and Duclair is fine. The truth is somewhere in between.

As for developing prospects, name me a time when we have had a grade A prospect to develop until recently. OEL is the only one off the top of my head. Turris and maybe one or two others are in there. Our prospect system, by and large, had been a joke until very recently. You get what you put in, and I think it was clear that the Coyotes did not put enough into their scouting and development. Hence, we added scouts, added Sullivan as a player personnel role, and have started to turn that around. Martinook, Domi, Perlini, and Murphy are our most recent "developmental" players, and they are not doing too poorly. They are not blowing the world away, either, so there are still some improvements out there to be had.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
I would say we're not making it this year, correct?! It seems like Tucson should be making the playoffs. Why not try to win a Calder? Why screw them, like we always seem to do, and let them have a run at it! Why is that so hard to understand???

We'll probably see some transactions today to get some bodies on the playoff roster for Tucson. Then they just need to qualify. ;)

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
**** on management when we send Duclair down. **** of management when we bring him up. Which one is it? We seem to want it both ways on this board. What's best to get Duclair back to the type of player he's capable of being? At this point wouldn't playing him with Domi seem like a logical step? What we were doing hasn't worked thus far. So I'm not certain that continuing to hope and pray is going to do it. The next step is up to Duclair. He needs to finish strong and get himself back to where he was.

I'm annoyed at the entire situation. I thought something should've been done sooner, sent down or benched. Eventually they did bench him and it did work.

He started to play better after that, wasn't getting any luck though. Then they send him down.

He doesn't do well in the AHL, and they call him up. Just by looking at stats, it was a complete waste of time. I think he should be better, but mgmt should also have handled the whole situation a lot better. There's just been so much inconsistency with how they're dealing with him.

We'll probably see some transactions today to get some bodies on the playoff roster for Tucson. Then they just need to qualify. ;)
They sent DeAngelo and Perlini "down" yesterday(or 2 daysago?) so they would be allowed to play in the playoffs.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
For me, neither. I guess y'all can call me a cynic but I think last year was the outlier for Duclair, not this year. If Duke was the stud-in-waiting that we all thought him to be, then the Rangers wouldn't have traded him, IMO.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of guys fizzle out at the NHL level once their junior tricks get figured out. One of the oldest stories in hockey.

So I wasn't sorry he got sent down, and I'm not upset he got called up. I simply don't think he'll be the impact player everyone thought he'd be last year.

If I'm wrong, then I'd be happy to eat crow. I've acquired a taste for it over the years.

You could be 100% correct. Time will tell.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You bring up Perlini dealing with the same thing, but that's not the case. Perlini's size and strength alone allow him to compete on a night-in/night-out basis. In fact, why hasn't Perlini been ridden into the proverbial ground?

Again, it sounds like fans are arguing that the guy who is basically a 3rd line RW should be given the benefit of the doubt when clearly he is producing as a 3rd line RW. The coaching staff sees that...

Agree about Perlini. He is still creating chances and causing havoc most games. We may have had our rose colored glasses on with Duclair.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Maybe that is not a question that can be answered yet. He had a great first year. And I think that masked a few (maybe more than a few) negatives that we didn't know about. Our expectations are high, as they should be for athletes, but maybe we are also at fault for pinning an expectation that may not be reached.

I think maybe you misunderstood my question then :P

My question is why is he back up? That should be able to be answered right now.

Long term will Duclair amount to anything? Yeah I'm not particularly bullish on Duclair actually. I was not particularly thrilled with the trade initially and didn't think he'd make the team out of camp in '15. I'm not going to put that 100% on the staff or Duclair to your point. But I'm simply trying to understand a move here that frankly has no clear justification.

ou get what you put in, and I think it was clear that the Coyotes did not put enough into their scouting and development. Hence, we added scouts, added Sullivan as a player personnel role, and have started to turn that around. Martinook, Domi, Perlini, and Murphy are our most recent "developmental" players, and they are not doing too poorly. They are not blowing the world away, either, so there are still some improvements out there to be had.

Garbage in - Garbage out matters of course. But I'm looking for improvement and seeing plans come to fruition. Perlini is a fair example though we'll have to see if it holds just like any other.

But Martinook/Murphy are not very good examples in my eyes. Murphy has regressed the last year and change outside of a strange burst at the worlds. Martinook has stayed basically exactly as he has since he made the team out of camp. That's a good thing but it's also not a clear example of the NHL staff building on a foundation.

If there's an appreciable change in Domi's game since he made the team in '15 I haven't seen it. Which is fine, but not something I'd point to as a great example. He could be a fine example in another year or two as he approaches his likely peak.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Agree about Perlini. He is still creating chances and causing havoc most games. We may have had our rose colored glasses on with Duclair.

Perlini is better on D and on the forecheck then duke, which is why he is sticking. Really, Duke needs to be better in areas other than scoring so he can keep a roster spot when he is not scoring goals. He is one dimensional and that one dimension is not working. If he becomes two dimensional, he is more likely to stick.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Half of the first video is from WJCs. While the talent level is evident across teams, the NHL, as a product, is going to have far greater challenges than in the WJC.

The latter half of the first video - I counted three or four different games that build your point. 3 or 4 games out of 82. So, basically 5% of the games from last year to illustrate how well that dynamic worked in scoring.

Obviously there is more to the game than just putting points on the stat sheet, but if there was about 10 different games where Duclair and Domi were doing that to NHL teams, then I see the argument.

Maybe Duclair is a little more one-dimensional than realized and we need to start seeing some expansion on those dimensions that he needs work on.

Did you watch the games last year? Those two guys were awesome together. I was at a game earlier in the season where they showed a video of Duclair's goals from last year. That's the one I was trying to find but couldn't. The majority were playing with Domi. Ah never mind. Carry on with the Tippett love.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We already tried to trade Duclair once (Hamilton). I think he goes this offseason. Hope he can build up his value over these next few weeks.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
We already tried to trade Duclair once (Hamilton). I think he goes this offseason. Hope he can build up his value over these next few weeks.

Probably. Chayka obviously wants to take advantage of the expansion draft. Duclair could be a nice asset to sweeten a deal. This has to be a showcase. Otherwise this call up makes no sense. At this point, Fischer is miles ahead of Duclair.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Then he scores 30+ a year, and we suck forever. Thats just how the Coyotes work. Get something good... **** it up.... repeat.

Depending on what we are gonna get for him. He played well last season but he quite obviously ignored alarming signs like the ridiculously high shooting percentage. I think he probably was a bit too confident going into this season and even showed some allures when things didn't go his way. He'll always be a one way player but he should have at least shown that he's willing to be more physical, throw some hits and work on his allround game. Instead, his game just fell off a cliff and he even failed to produce in the AHL. Lots of guys literally flew by him this season. Tippett is pathetic...almost everybody realized it by now...at the same time, you can't blame him for everything.

Glad they didn't deal him so far but if he can help to get a young top player like Duchene then that's something the Coyotes should do.

Last edited:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Did you watch the games last year? Those two guys were awesome together. I was at a game earlier in the season where they showed a video of Duclair's goals from last year. That's the one I was trying to find but couldn't. The majority were playing with Domi. Ah never mind. Carry on with the Tippett love.

I did watch as many of the games as I could, and yes, they clearly carried over some chemistry from WJCs into the next season. No opponent had a clear idea of what Domi and Duclair truly brought to the table, as both were pretty much rookies last year. I am not saying that Domi and Duclair don't work well together, or that we shouldn't give them some time on the same line. Yet, Domi's productivity has stayed the course and Duclair's hasn't. It's probably a mistake for me to say that Domi would also experience a regression if Duclair needs to be tied to his hip to make both productive, but if there is that much feeding of each other going on, then it would make more sense that with Duclair's regression, Domi might also have some sort of regression, too. Maybe not.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Domi, Duke and someone always looked good to me. Pair them up and leave it alone. Too much effing around with the lines, trying to find some short term boost. It never works.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Lines I'd like to see, given the current roster (and what's been working and what might give struggling players the opportunity to turn it around):

Perlini-Dvorak-Doan
McGinn-Holland-Vrbata
Domi-Burmistrov-Duclair
Rieder-Martinook-Pulkkinen

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-DeAngelo
Chychrun-Schenn

PP1
Domi-Burmistrov-Vrbata
OEL-DeAngelo

PP2
Duclair-Dvorak-Pulkkinen
Goligoski-Chychrun

Work Crouse in for Perlini when he goes back to the AHL for the playoff run.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Lines I'd like to see, given the current roster (and what's been working and what might give struggling players the opportunity to turn it around):

Perlini-Dvorak-Doan
McGinn-Holland-Vrbata
Domi-Burmistrov-Duclair
Rieder-Martinook-Pulkkinen

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-DeAngelo
Chychrun-Schenn

PP1
Domi-Burmistrov-Vrbata
OEL-DeAngelo

PP2
Duclair-Dvorak-Pulkkinen
Goligoski-Chychrun

Work Crouse in for Perlini when he goes back to the AHL for the playoff run.

I'd switch Doan and Vrbata at EV and move the Doan line down and the Domi line up.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'd switch Doan and Vrbata at EV and move the Doan line down and the Domi line up.

Agreed on the second point, but I'd keep Vrbata and Perlini apart. If the puck touches either of their sticks, it's going right to the net.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think the reason for that is Domi and Duclair's ridiculous shooting % at the time.

You may be right. Let's see what happens the next 20 games.

Depending on what we are gonna get for him. He played well last season but he quite obviously ignored alarming signs like the ridiculously high shooting percentage. I think he probably was a bit too confident going into this season and even showed some allures when things didn't go his way. He'll always be a one way player but he should have at least shown that he's willing to be more physical, throw some hits and work on his allround game. Instead, his game just fell off a cliff and he even failed to produce in the AHL. Lots of guys literally flew by him this season. Tippett is pathetic...almost everybody realized it by now...at the same time, you can't blame him for everything.

Glad they didn't deal him so far but if he can help to get a young top player like Duchene then that's something the Coyotes should do.

DT stated he was worried about Duclair this year because of his unsustainable shooting % last year. He said the coaches have told Duclair this year to shoot the puck more (sound familiar) and we all know he has not. In one of DT after game interview he was shaking his head and stated that Duclair, who scored earlier in the game had a two on one and had a great opportunity to shoot the puck but elected to pass, and of course nothing happened. Coaches don't play the game, so blaming the coaches for Duclair's play is asinine, and I don't just mean the coaches here, but coaches in general. I thought Duclair would go to the A and light it up, but he has done exactly the opposite.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think the reason for that is Domi and Duclair's ridiculous shooting % at the time.

You may be right. Let's see what happens the next 20 games.

DT stated he was worried about Duclair this year because of his unsustainable shooting % last year. He said the coaches have told Duclair this year to shoot the puck more (sound familiar) and we all know he has not. In one of DT after game interview he was shaking his head and stated that Duclair, who scored earlier in the game had a two on one and had a great opportunity to shoot the puck but elected to pass, and of course nothing happened. Coaches don't play the game, so blaming the coaches for Duclair's play is asinine, and I don't just mean the coaches here, but coaches in general. I thought Duclair would go to the A and light it up, but he has done exactly the opposite.
To your final point, the "Tipp is ruining Duclair" argument is lost when you consider how poorly Duke played in Tucson. It's all on him now....

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Duclair better do something tonight...he knows best he doesn't deserve this opportunity. Just stop being a turnover machine and do something. If he doesn't manage to get on the score board he better take a run at somebody or run somebody over...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad