Recalled/Assigned: Anthony Duclair Recalled From Tucson

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I wish Duclair would have dogged it a bit harder then he has. But he is a 2nd year player- young players mostly lack consistency. That should improve over time.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
They need to staple him to Domi and leave them together for the rest of the season. There's absolutely no reason not to do that. Therefore, Tippett will put him on a line with Holland and McGinn.

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
They need to staple him to Domi and leave them together for the rest of the season. There's absolutely no reason not to do that. Therefore, Tippett will put him on a line with Holland and McGinn.

Had a similar thought. Though sometimes lines or duos that seem inseparable suffer injuries or experience match up problems. Dvorak and Perlini have enjoyed some success in an unsuccessful campaign. Are they taking shifts together or doing so with anyone consistently? I'm asking...hadn't really noticed yet.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Reports today that the Canes were listening on Teravainen. A swap for Duclair has some merits.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
I figured he would be better served in Tucson, gearing up for the playoffs. Nope. We need him in AZ so we can be useless. Got it!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
**** on management when we send Duclair down. **** of management when we bring him up. Which one is it? We seem to want it both ways on this board. What's best to get Duclair back to the type of player he's capable of being? At this point wouldn't playing him with Domi seem like a logical step? What we were doing hasn't worked thus far. So I'm not certain that continuing to hope and pray is going to do it. The next step is up to Duclair. He needs to finish strong and get himself back to where he was.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
**** on management when we send Duclair down. **** of management when we bring him up. Which one is it? We seem to want it both ways on this board. What's best to get Duclair back to the type of player he's capable of being? At this point wouldn't playing him with Domi seem like a logical step? What we were doing hasn't worked thus far. So I'm not certain that continuing to hope and pray is going to do it. The next step is up to Duclair. He needs to finish strong and get himself back to where he was.

:laugh:So true. Duclair is a real mystery to me. I can't believe he only has one goal in the A. I thought sending him down was the best thing for him, in fact I would have sent him down earlier, but looking at his stats, it seems he is still in a funk, but as you know, stats isn't everything. Maybe last year was a fluke, don't know, but I think bringing him up, management is giving him a vote of confidence saying they still believe in him, or maybe they want to see if he is worth keeping. All I know, it's all up to Duclair, the player, like it always is. Blaming management is ignorant.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
I would say we're not making it this year, correct?! It seems like Tucson should be making the playoffs. Why not try to win a Calder? Why screw them, like we always seem to do, and let them have a run at it! Why is that so hard to understand???

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would say we're not making it this year, correct?! It seems like Tucson should be making the playoffs. Why not try to win a Calder? Why screw them, like we always seem to do, and let them have a run at it! Why is that so hard to understand???

Players are auditioning for jobs next year, and the management is evaluating what they have.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

We did go out and get them Joe Whitney and Jeremy Morin who are both capable of point per game production in the AHL under the right circumstances.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
Players are auditioning for jobs next year, and the management is evaluating what they have.

This. Plus based on what ctwin22 says, there is only one C in Tucson that is feeding wingers. If it's a choice between bringing Duke up or Fischer up - I would go with Duke. He as the most to prove, the most to gain by performing well and if put on a good line - the biggest difference between Tucson.

This will be a real test of Tipp to see whose line he is put on.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
10+this+pleases+me.gif

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Anybody on this board watch the Tucson games? I have a feeling Duclair might have played better than his .5ppg would indicate.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Too early to give up on the Duke; those 20 goals didn't happen by accident, but doesn't seem like his play in Tucson earned the call up.

Maybe the team hopes he gets back on track for a possible off season trade. :dunno:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
**** on management when we send Duclair down. **** of management when we bring him up. Which one is it?

For me, neither. I guess y'all can call me a cynic but I think last year was the outlier for Duclair, not this year. If Duke was the stud-in-waiting that we all thought him to be, then the Rangers wouldn't have traded him, IMO.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of guys fizzle out at the NHL level once their junior tricks get figured out. One of the oldest stories in hockey.

So I wasn't sorry he got sent down, and I'm not upset he got called up. I simply don't think he'll be the impact player everyone thought he'd be last year.

If I'm wrong, then I'd be happy to eat crow. I've acquired a taste for it over the years.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Too early to give up on the Duke; those 20 goals didn't happen by accident, but doesn't seem like his play in Tucson earned the call up.

Maybe the team hopes he gets back on track for a possible off season trade. :dunno:

Maybe he worked on other parts of his game in Tucson like forecheck, back check, maybe even PK. I think his goals will come, it is the other parts of his game that will keep him in the NHL when he slumps on production. Crouse/Dvo/Domi can PK as an example. I suspect Duclair will turn it around, work hard this summer and be a solid player next year in AZ. I don't think they trade him as his value would be too low now.

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
Maybe it boils down to patience. The Rangers could afford to give up on Duclair to get a piece to the ever difficult puzzle of winning the Cup in Yandle. Unless they have soothsaying prophets on their staff, giving up on him was a mere gamble for them. I don't think it's time for us to give up on Duke. I recommend spicy curry with crow lol.:yo:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Nobody is going to find a groove getting 9 minutes a game and constantly scratched/benched. I'm not even sure what you're arguing at this point.

Duclair wasn't good, but it wasn't 100% on him, which is arguably why he's still a Coyote and now back up on the NHL roster. I'm not sure why the whole team being bad, and Duclair being extra snakebitten and mentally shook early on is so controversial.

I'm just happy he's still here.

Ryan White has 2 goals and 1 assist in two games with Minnesota. 9:58 TOI in the first game and 7:51 in the second game. Pretty sure that counts as finding your groove.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
That condition is largely manufactured IMO, with the rest being bad luck and circumstance.

I wouldn't put much thought into the performance of wingers this season with a dumpster fire team + parade of bad centers. Because Duclair doesn't really do anything when he's not scoring, he was bound to suffer the most. Perlini has dealt with the same thing, though he has had a better team to play with in his AZ stint and he's larger, so he can soften the blow.

Getting Duclair going is still important and he can be a key piece of the team going forward.

Dave Tippett has a habit of riding offense first players into the proverbial ground, in a bid to turn all of them into the next Rieder (even though Rieder learned to play the two way game away from the Coyotes).

You bring up Perlini dealing with the same thing, but that's not the case. Perlini's size and strength alone allow him to compete on a night-in/night-out basis. In fact, why hasn't Perlini been ridden into the proverbial ground?

Again, it sounds like fans are arguing that the guy who is basically a 3rd line RW should be given the benefit of the doubt when clearly he is producing as a 3rd line RW. The coaching staff sees that...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Tucson could make the playoffs, or just be on the cusp. NHL regular season ends on April 8th. The Roadrunners have 3 or 4 games after that, at which point, the following players will probably play those final 3 games there:

Dvorak
Duclair
Perlini
Deangelo

Depending on where their teams are in their respective CHL playoff games:

Chychrun
Crouse

That is a lot of players that honestly could (should??) be in the AHL who are gaining experience in the NHL. I have no doubt that a player like Perlini, Dvorak, or Duclair getting 3rd line minutes can compete in the AHL playoffs, since a 1st line AHLer is basically a 3rd/4th line NHL player.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Trading prospects is about probabilities. No team knows how a prospect is going to turn out, good or bad.

When they traded Duclair, he was a speedy, scrawny wing who didn't make the impact in the NHL they had hoped for but was scoring at a decent clip in the QMJHL.

When the Coyotes sent Duclair down, he was a speedy, scrawny wing who wasn't making an impact in the NHL after scoring at a much higher clip the year before.

I've said it all season long, but Duclair looks like the same player to me between last year and this year. His shooting percentage has fallen off a cliff, but it was also astronomically high last year. I think the "real" Duclair is somewhere in the middle, maybe around 12%. It worries me more that he wasn't generating shots at a higher rate this year versus last, but I suspect that has more to do with usage than his effort.

There aren't enough games left in the season for him to show much one way or the other, but I hope for his confidence's sake that he pots a few. I think he just needs a little bit of puck luck before he becomes a legitimate 2nd line wing.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
**** on management when we send Duclair down. **** of management when we bring him up. Which one is it? We seem to want it both ways on this board.

Is this the message board equivalent of a subtweet :P

I see lots of folks happy he's back up :dunno:

If you're talking about my criticisms, I never took a hard stance on Duclair going down one way or the other so you're off base. I probably wouldn't have sent him down in the first place but I didn't care much that he was.

But no one has still really answered the question better than Feckless's "well sending him down didn't work" line. That's not exactly confidence inspiring to someone skeptical of this teams ability to develop prospects once under their control.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->