Player Discussion: Anthony Cirelli

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
We're lucky to have 2 guys with such high smarts/motor/skill combinations as Point and Cirelli. Seems like you never see either giving up on a play or floating.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Do we think Cirelli's ceiling is as high as Points? Two-way top 6 Center?

No we do not.

Different player in my eyes, lower overall ceiling. Point could be in the conversation for a top 20 player in the league at some point, he definitely was last season.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
No we do not.

Different player in my eyes, lower overall ceiling. Point could be in the conversation for a top 20 player in the league at some point, he definitely was last season.
No we do not.

Point played with superior linemates. If Cirelli played with the same calibre linemates I suspect he would put up similar point totals.

trueblue231930

Nov 4, 2008
Ranger fan coming in peace. Curious how you guys see cirelli’s value in a trade this offseason. Assuming there’s a team willing to offer sheet him at 5 -5.5 mil for 4-5 years. Would something around Vitali Kravtsov (9th overall in 2018), Pavel Buchnevich (3.25 signed through 21-22 and still Rfa), Carolinas first rounder in 2020 (likely in the 20-24 range assuming they don’t make it to the ECF) be a starting point to work around? Not trying to insult anyone so if the value is far off then my apologies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Ranger fan coming in peace. Curious how you guys see cirelli’s value in a trade this offseason. Assuming there’s a team willing to offer sheet him at 5 -5.5 mil for 4-5 years. Would something around Vitali Kravtsov (9th overall in 2018), Pavel Buchnevich (3.25 signed through 21-22 and still Rfa), Carolinas first rounder in 2020 (likely in the 20-24 range assuming they don’t make it to the ECF) be a starting point to work around? Not trying to insult anyone so if the value is far off then my apologies.

Kakko or Fox as the starting point.

If he's willing to sign for 5M we will keep him. Also what's the point in trading him because of cap problems just to take back a guy making 3.25M?

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Yeah. I've been disappointed with his play so far. Usually he's a shutdown guy against top lines and playing more defensive minded hockey, but he and his line have been ghosts

trueblue231930

Nov 4, 2008
Kakko or Fox as the starting point.

If he's willing to sign for 5M we will keep him. Also what's the point in trading him because of cap problems just to take back a guy making 3.25M?

because you’re unloading johnson and killorn to ease the cap issues. So you’re taking back 3.25 and unloading 10+ signing cirelli

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Kinda surprised that he's somewhat vanished. Throughout his career he's been a big player on stages like 2 different Memorial Cup teams, WJC, and last year at the 2019 WC. Not sure what's going on with him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
because you’re unloading johnson and killorn to ease the cap issues. So you’re taking back 3.25 and unloading 10+ signing cirelli

We wouldn't need to trade Cirelli if we moved Killorn and Johnson. We also don't need to attach Cirelli to dump those two either.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's been the worst player on his line. Might be struggling with the physicality in front. He's just not making anything happen, except short-handed.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
There might be an injury issue or something. Even if he's off his game, he's usually not a quiet or invisible player. I think it's only a matter of time unless he's battling something significant.

Cirelli, along with Point and Sergachev are emerging as the new "core" of the team imo.

Reactions: TheGreatOutlaw

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Idk Cirelli has never been that offensively skilled but he can usually put up a solid amount of points because of how we play and how skilled his linemates are. Not too surprising he isn't doing much offensively since it's not as easy in the playoffs and we are playing way more safe because of the blue jackets as well. Defensively while he hasn't had any crazy visible plays I think he has been solid as usual.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he had his best game of the series today

Agreed, but I'm not sure that's a good thing because he still looked physically overmatched a lot of the time. I'm hoping it clicks for him like it seems to have clicked with Gourde. Gourde actually seems to be thriving in the trenches suddenly.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Cirelli will be ok. His game doesn't shine against a team like CLB. Against a stronger offensive team his two-way skills will better manifest themselves and lets face it, nobody is going to look great offensively against their smothering D. (Besides Pointer that is.)

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Cirelli will be ok. His game doesn't shine against a team like CLB. Against a stronger offensive team his two-way skills will better manifest themselves and lets face it, nobody is going to look great offensively against their smothering D. (Besides Pointer that is.)
This. He's a shut down guy, Columbus is very defence first mentality. While they have some dangerous players who can score, Cirelli's game is against big lines like Bostons, Washingtons and the Leafs to name a few.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
This. He's a shut down guy, Columbus is very defence first mentality. While they have some dangerous players who can score, Cirelli's game is against big lines like Bostons, Washingtons and the Leafs to name a few.

Wish there was one line that could shut down Dubois. That's pretty much the only line that is causing any problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad