Player Discussion: Anthony Cirelli

AlmostThere242

Nov 16, 2014
I remember he got his foot banged up in one of the round robin games. I just don't remember if he looked good before that in the prior robin games.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
That line was brutal during the Bruins push today. Maybe Cirelli should just move to wing on Paquettes line while Johnson and Killorn play with whichever one of Gourde/Point on the double shift since we're running 11 forwards.

Just not comfortable with that line out there as a unit.
That’s actually a good idea

Reactions: DFC

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I am still concerned about Tony's play Killer and Johnny are excelling despite skating with him whic is the only saving grace. This has kept the top nine dangerous it has given Boston fits. We have all seen one player pull an entire line down over the years. Thankfully Boston is a one line team and Cirelli's situation has not hurt the team.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

BOAR

Aug 24, 2020
Tony C's been slightly disappointing so far (in the playoffs). Other than a couple good passes, he hasn't done anything offensively. His defense and forechecking has still been top-notch, but I want to see him show up more on offense.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Tony C's been slightly disappointing so far (in the playoffs). Other than a couple good passes, he hasn't done anything offensively. His defense and forechecking has still been top-notch, but I want to see him show up more on offense.

It's been more than slightly disappointing. He's really just a warm body right now, and there's been nothing top-notch about his game. His defense has been okay, but without his full speed, it's not what we're used to. Same with his forechecking. Forget offense -- He's barely touching the puck at all.

He's obviously injured, or maybe he was one of our Covid cases. Whatever's wrong is very wrong though, and hopefully it corrects itself if we make it through. We can use the best version of Cirelli if we have to play a defensive shell team like the Islanders.

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
Yeah his contract is going to take a hit. There is a scenario where he is signed and traded now.

Too funny, thought only Leaf fans turn on their players.. can’t wait to see the reaction when he signs an offer sheet in off season. From the looks of things he is more than likely battling an injury, but y’all pushing him out of Tampa, great for the rest of the league.

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Too funny, thought only Leaf fans turn on their players.. can’t wait to see the reaction when he signs an offer sheet in off season. From the looks of things he is more than likely battling an injury, but y’all pushing him out of Tampa, great for the rest of the league.
Yes I’m sure one fan on a message board will get him quickly shipped out of Tampa. You’re welcome, NHL.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

What a strange conclusion to draw. Is everything okay in Toronto? Feel free to project your sadness on us, we can handle it, but I do think professional help would be more productive.

Reactions: NatoGhost and Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We're pushing him out of Tampa? lol, Nobody here has turned on him.

Reactions: NatoGhost

BOAR

Aug 24, 2020
Yeah his contract is going to take a hit. There is a scenario where he is signed and traded now.

I don't think we should trade him. Someone earlier had mentioned he could've had COVID (I don't think he did, someone told me our cases were only Cernak and Rutta) but it's not outside the realm of reality. Also, he's still incredibly valuable. He's got the potential to be a future Selke winner, and I think losing a guy like that would seriously hurt our depth. If we can, I'd rather get rid of Johnson or possibly even Killorn (if it means we keep Tony and Serge).

Reactions: NatoGhost

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
If his contract takes a hit he won't have to be traded, lol. The best case scenario is we win with him playing poorly and we get to sign him for cheap and he bounces back next season to be a steal.

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I don't think we should trade him. Someone earlier had mentioned he could've had COVID (I don't think he did, someone told me our cases were only Cernak and Rutta) but it's not outside the realm of reality. Also, he's still incredibly valuable. He's got the potential to be a future Selke winner, and I think losing a guy like that would seriously hurt our depth. If we can, I'd rather get rid of Johnson or possibly even Killorn (if it means we keep Tony and Serge).
There will be a poison pill taken somewhere in order to retain as much of the roster that they can. If Cirelli will take a bridge at 2.5 that could help. Under no circumstance will they let Sergi go we are going to lose either Cernak or Cirelli if Foote is ready it will be Cernak if not they have to keep him for the top4. There will be a forward moved to free up space I hope it is not Killorn but looks like it will be from a value standpoint. Johnson would make more sense long term to move but for some reason I just do not see them moving him.

PRZ45MD

Aug 11, 2016
There will be a poison pill taken somewhere in order to retain as much of the roster that they can. If Cirelli will take a bridge at 2.5 that could help. Under no circumstance will they let Sergi go we are going to lose either Cernak or Cirelli if Foote is ready it will be Cernak if not they have to keep him for the top4. There will be a forward moved to free up space I hope it is not Killorn but looks like it will be from a value standpoint. Johnson would make more sense long term to move but for some reason I just do not see them moving him.

Foote needs more time with Underhill. His skating worries me. Footspeed is just slower than it should be at this point.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

PRZ45MD

Aug 11, 2016
Guess Gm5 kinda answered some stuff about Cirelli, it was actually the $9.5M worth of anchors he was towing around the ice that were hampering his game...

That entire line was weakest in the series. Cirelli gets to play with Point and Palat and is instantly noticeable and chips in a big goal.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What? He completely smothered Point's offense once he was put on a line with him, they combined for that fluky goal but Point wasn't able to generate anything with Cirelli in OT, not sure what Johnson or Killorn have to do with Cirelli constantly losing the puck in his feet while moving forward. I thought he had a good couple of shifts in the 3rd but his head was in his ass for most of the game.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
He's been mediocre all playoffs. He looked shot out of a cannon afterwards for a few shifts so I have to wonder if he's even injured...

Something isn't the same and that's obvious. Whether it's conditioning, injury or something else, is the question. Good time to score a big goal but I was hoping he would be a huge factor this run and so far, he hasn't done much.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
What? He completely smothered Point's offense once he was put on a line with him, they combined for that fluky goal but Point wasn't able to generate anything with Cirelli in OT, not sure what Johnson or Killorn have to do with Cirelli constantly losing the puck in his feet while moving forward. I thought he had a good couple of shifts in the 3rd but his head was in his ass for most of the game.

disagree. Cirelli had some great plays and created some chances. Not his fault Point was invincible.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
He's off. As others have said, his skating speed is way off. He should be one of the fastest 5-6 guys in the rink on any night and he is a plug right now. My guess is injury or conditioning due to illness.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
My amateur guess: He didn't skate for 2-3 months, didn't eat enough (he looks like like he has a fast metabolism) and lost a lot of strength in the little, supportive muscles in the legs/core/lower back that play a big role in skating mechanics. I'm sure he kept up with his dry land training, but its hard to isolate for small muscles. He'll benefit from an offseason with access to the rink.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Guess Gm5 kinda answered some stuff about Cirelli, it was actually the $9.5M worth of anchors he was towing around the ice that were hampering his game...

That entire line was weakest in the series. Cirelli gets to play with Point and Palat and is instantly noticeable and chips in a big goal.

Disagree. Cirelli scored a goal in the way people who can't move score goals--by standing in one place and touching the puck. Great goal, and I think he's giving all he's got, but he doesn't have much right now.

He's looking a tad bit quicker with every game, which is good news, but his time on the top line did nothing but further show there's something wrong. Point looked like the one carrying an anchor.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Disagree. Cirelli scored a goal in the way people who can't move score goals--by standing in one place and touching the puck. Great goal, and I think he's giving all he's got, but he doesn't have much right now.

He's looking a tad bit quicker with every game, which is good news, but his time on the top line did nothing but further show there's something wrong. Point looked like the one carrying an anchor.
To be honest thats the way he scores most of his goals. last night he lost a number of races to the puck that pre CoVid he would not have. 5 points in 13 playoff games on the 2nd line is disappointing. Add to that last night he had 39 shifts and 31 minutes of icetime.

He is failing the eyetest most all of us see the difference. But the scoresheet drop is more concerning. These 13 games are a 31 point 82 game pace. Now one of two things the guy is playing hurt or he is not the player we have thought he was. Either way in a contract year he has not done hisself any favors in the playoffs.

As morbid as it sounds I hope it is some type of injury he is playing thru. If this was not a shortened year he would have been over 50 points.

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad