Confirmed with Link: Anthony Cirelli signs 8 year extension | $6.25M AAV

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I hope you're right but reading this thread I had the same thoughts about your optimism as Stammer & Hoek did. You're basically looking hopefully at every move we made and pessimistically at the guys we let go.

I understand moving on from McD & even Palat but I was unpleasantly surprised at the deals we gave Cirelli & Sergachev. Cernak less so but even still that term is worrisome given his injury troubles and the way he plays.

Sergachev got paid like a #1. Pretty sure nearly everyone agreed that contract was a surprise. We're paying for what we hope he will become. That's risky. If we waited another year to see how he plays, could he really have earned more than we paid him?

Cirelli - good player but lacks top end offense. Just hard to justify paying a middle 6 center 6+M a year in my book.

All guys that had another year left and I doubt would significantly earn raises based on 1 more year playing. JBB paid them to ease his mind (so he knows what cap he has available going forward). Overpaying for peace of mind seems like a bad strategy.

I like JBB and have generally been happy with his moves but these 3 had me scratching my head. Paul played well and I like his play style but I don't know if he'll produce more points than Joseph going forward (but the tougher play style was more of a need) so I'm good with that move.

The overpay for Hagel was pretty bad. Even though he's on the cheap for 2 more years and he has nowhere but up to go.

I just hope we haven't seen the end of players signing team friendly deals to stay here...That's key to a sustained winner and Stamkos, Hedman & Kuch doing it was awesome. Point's contract way less of a steal.... Vasy's contract is huge...Now Serg, Cirelli....Not seeing the value anymore and that worries me.

Edit: Even the Vladdy deal seems on the high side, right? Can't really speak on Ian Cole's contract. Hopefully he earns that.
I appreciate your response. It's very reasoned and well written. I agree they overpaid on Sergachev and Cirelli. I am also concerned with the term given to Cernak given his injury issues and style of play. Believe I even said as much. Also would have liked to have seen the AAV come in a bit lower on all of them because of the term provided as well. Guess he just paid for not giving them full NMC for the duration of the deals.

Sergachev appears to have no trade protection in the first year (2023-2024,), a NTC in years 2, 3, and 4, and a M-NTC (player submits a 16 team trade list) for the remaining 4 years of the deal.

Cirelli appears to have no trade protection in the first two years (2023-2024, 2024-2025), a NTC in years 3, and 4, and a M-NTC (player submits a 16 team trade list) for the remaining 4 years of the deal.

Cernak appears to have no trade protection in the first year (2023-2024), a NTC in years 2, 3 and 4, and a M-NTC (player submits a 16 team trade list) for the remaining 4 years of the deal.

Maybe that makes those deals a little more palatable for some?? I dunno, but that might be the reason for the overpayments...

Reactions: NatoGhost

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
No one argues the guys defense. The thing is can he step up the offensive numbers? He is not going to see PP time.
What is puzzling to me is people bitched and complained about Gourdes contract while he was just as good defensively and had a scoring touch. And now the Bolts are paying Cirelli 3 mil more per year. The age thing can only go so far. This team needs to replace goal scoring lost from the last two years and while Paul looks to be a good addition Hagel did not mesh on any line or the PP.

It is going to be a while before goal scoring can be replenished. Not the D and O have taken hits the last two years to pay this core. The team is now stuck being unable to bury teams and now weaker defensively. Going to be a lot of 1 goal games I hope.

Would you rather see offensive numbers rise and defensive numbers decline? Wouldn't it just be a wash? if you were an NHL player, knowing full well offenisve numbers lead to higher contracts, why would i want to play defense? you dont find many players with defense first mindset. And hard to ask a player to hit 60+ pts with no PP time, and have the same defensive numbers playing against top offensive players...a player like that would be in the $7.5-$8 mil range. Most of the selke players in comparison are on first PP units and also playing with highly offensive gifted players. And not sure how you get 3 mil more than Gourde, it's $600k more for a young selke caliber player. No offense to Gourde not sure any GM in the league would take Gourde over Cirelli. Gourde is a good player, but he had Coleman/Goodrow doing alot of the grudge work, their sum was greater than their individual parts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad