Confirmed with Link: Anthony Cirelli signs 8 year extension | $6.25M AAV

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
JBB better have all the cap circumventing tips up his sleeve because that's a shit ton of money for a lot of players.

Reactions: Pens x

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I think it's a fair deal, it's not a steal but nor is it a bad deal ion my mind, he is a Selke candidate center, you don't find those kind of players that often + he is still young. Always a risk with 8 year deals ofc, but glad to have Cirelli onboard!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Can't have a 6M forward producing single digit playoff runs, he's going to need to start scoring and he's going to have less help around him to do so. Expensive considering he could be bumped down to 3C on any given night.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I'm happy to have him, he is a good shutdown forward and I have hope that he will just keep gettig better. He does need to produce more though so let's hope he works on that.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He's the great equalizer defensively, but definitely needs to start potting more goals. Killorn figured it out eventually so it could happen

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Can't have a 6M forward producing single digit playoff runs, he's going to need to start scoring and he's going to have less help around him to do so. Expensive considering he could be bumped down to 3C on any given night.
You just did like 2 years in a row. I think he will need to produce more from here on,
People are shitting on this contract on the main boards and I really don't get it. Look at what Trocheck just got, who is far less impactful.
Thats just a bunch of bitter people that want to see us struggle. I would be, too, if I watched this team kick the absolute shit out of just about everyone the last 3 years.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Should have traded him. This is just another outlet for me to throw this idea out like a broken record.

Copp and Trocheck got cheaper contracts and produce more. Not as sound defensively so you can see why he does get a bump, but still, it is fairly over what he should get. Somewhere in the high 5s would have been fine but let's say it's fair...

He was (edit: NOT) the true 2C in either of the b2b runs and was rather poor offensively this last run. That's our 2C the next 8 years cap-wise. He can always improve but as Sky and others said, he has less help now.

He just doesn't have the offensive IQ and we're paying him as the selke candidate *with some offense*. Is that really worth it when three other centers are Point, Stamkos (best FO guy) and Paul? No.

We should have moved him for a winger. I would LOVE to see him turn it around cause I love his game overall, he just slots into a redundant spot on the depth chart for me. IE, expendable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coopers Gum

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Should have traded him. This is just another outlet for me to throw this idea out like a broken record.

Copp and Trocheck got cheaper contracts and produce more. Not as sound defensively so you can see why he does get a bump, but still, it is fairly over what he should get. Somewhere in the high 5s would have been fine but let's say it's fair...

He was the true 2C in either of the b2b runs and was rather poor offensively this last run. That's our 2C the next 8 years cap-wise. He can always improve but as Sky and others said, he has less help now.

He just doesn't have the offensive IQ and we're paying him as the selke candidate *with some offense*. Is that really worth it when three other centers are Point, Stamkos (best FO guy) and Paul? No.

We should have moved him for a winger. I would LOVE to see him turn it around cause I love his game overall, he just slots into a redundant spot on the depth chart for me. IE, expendable.
trocheck and copp are 29 and 28 years old respectively, like it or not we are investing in our youth with these three contracts. they are expensive, yes, but they know the system and should still have some room for growth.

sucks to pay for potential, but if it works out these contracts will actually look good in three years. if not, at least tickets will be cheaper.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

He was the true 2C in either of the b2b runs and was rather poor offensively this last run. That's our 2C the next 8 years cap-wise. He can always improve but as Sky and others said, he has less help now.

Defense is a little overrated too, Matthews, Marner, Mackinnon, Rantannen, Ladeskog and Zibanajad all lit us up, he played the hard match ups but he didn't shut down the top guys like some people think he did.

Gotta hope him and Hagel or Paul find some chemistry because that's the immediate secondary scoring after this year.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Defense is a little overrated too, Matthews, Marner, Mackinnon, Rantannen, Ladeskog and Zibanajad all lit us up, he played the hard match ups but he didn't shut down the top guys like some people think he did.

Gotta hope him and Hagel or Paul find some chemistry because that's the immediate secondary scoring after this year.
God help us

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
trocheck and copp are 29 and 28 years old respectively, like it or not we are investing in our youth with these three contracts. they are expensive, yes, but they know the system and should still have some room for growth.

sucks to pay for potential, but if it works out these contracts will actually look good in three years. if not, at least tickets will be cheaper.
Just about all of the contracts have been the same too, looks like an overpay but by year 2 they're having breakout years and everyone starts the "how do they do this"

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015

Great deal with Cirelli IMO, there is never enough value placed on a player for their defensive abilities. Good on Brisebois to see that, from watching this years playoffs he was probably top 3 in most valuable to this playoff run for TB.
Not sure where your comment on being lit up by those guys, you should go back and see how many points those guys have when Cirelli is on the ice. you can count on one hand. I don't remember Mathews doing anything when Cirelli was on the ice, and zib was completely shut down after game 2 when last change was a factor. Same in cup final, avs didn't get much points with him on the ice, and with one shoulder sprain, and then the dislocate in game 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad