Player Discussion: Anthony Beauvillier (C - Shawinigan, QMJHL) - 1st Round, #28

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
McKenzie's list is just a consensus of professional scouts, who year in and year out are not high on guys on the smaller side. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Beauvillier puts up league leading numbers while being a faceoff guru and a 200ft. player. He's not afraid to get his nose dirty either which is what you need (especially if you are undersized).

I think it's just a matter of maturing for him, he is a very good player.

Finding very few flaws in both Barzal & Beau's games other than they aren't 6'4.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is Beauvillier's thread, but I agree. If you search the Barzal thread on the main board, weeks before the draft I said I thought Barzal reminded me of R. Strome.

Doh, I guess I'm elated with the moves and the selections that I forgot which thread I'm in. Having a hard time deciding which draftee I'm more thrilled about.

Last edited:

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
Been reading through his prospect thread on this website:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1266739

Couple of key notes I took away from it:

- EVERYONE in the thread was hoping their team could target this kid with a late 1st round pick. You usually have a couple of people going "meh, I don't see it his game won't translate well" but posters from a ton of fanbases, Habs especially (that's what you get playing in the Q) really wanted him. Leaf fans, Nuck fans, etc. etc.

- McKenzie ranking him 59th is something to get offended about.

- A lot of people speculate that "professional" scouts paid more attention to size than skill level - he isn't big but his skillset seems extremely complete

- His teammates sucked. Had a very very good draft year with a terrible supporting cast around him. The second highest scorer on his team had 64 points.

Feeling a lot better about this pick. Both him and Barzal have tremendously high skill and paying Reinhart + 3rd for these two prospects seems like a damn fine move.

I saw him played a bunch of games, coming from Shawinigan. Lalonde came around the middle of the season and had 73 points in 50 games. He was the second center, behind Beauvillier and began to play on the PP with him at the end of the season.

But Beauvillier played with Yan or D'Aoust all year long. Beauvillier was the motor of Shawinigan, but he was not alone. He got support with Lalonde, Yan, Labbé, Girard, etc. Next year, Shawinigan Cataractes is gonna be a top 4 team in the league, should be fun to watch with all the skills in this team (Girard 2016 is a stud, but small).

Beauvillier has a ton of character, he competes every games. He wants the puck and want to be the best player every night. Not a bad puckhandler, has a terrific shot release, good 2-way game, but my only concerns would be his creativity with the puck and his skating. Sometimes, he becomes too predictable with the puck. However, both abilities can be improve, even if his skating is not bad, he needs to be faster at 5'10.

He is a good buddy of Barzal, good fit in NYI.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I saw him played a bunch of games, coming from Shawinigan. Lalonde came around the middle of the season and had 73 points in 50 games. He was the second center, behind Beauvillier and began to play on the PP with him at the end of the season.

But Beauvillier played with Yan or D'Aoust all year long. Beauvillier was the motor of Shawinigan, but he was not alone. He got support with Lalonde, Yan, Labbé, Girard, etc. Next year, Shawinigan Cataractes is gonna be a top 4 team in the league, should be fun to watch with all the skills in this team (Girard 2016 is a stud, but small).

Beauvillier has a ton of character, he competes every games. He wants the puck and want to be the best player every night. Not a bad puckhandler, has a terrific shot release, good 2-way game, but my only concerns would be his creativity with the puck and his skating. Sometimes, he becomes too predictable with the puck. However, both abilities can be improve, even if his skating is not bad, he needs to be faster at 5'10.

He is a good buddy of Barzal, good fit in NYI.

Yeah CodeE might have been thinking of Barzal when he said the junior team sucked. Seattle was not very good, but Shawinigan has a good team and should be even better next season.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Yeah CodeE might have been thinking of Barzal when he said the junior team sucked. Seattle was not very good, but Shawinigan has a good team and should be even better next season.

Will be nice to finally have top guys in all 3 leagues. Hopefully we get lucky and have at least one of the Big 4 going every night.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I am warming to him the more time passes and the more I hear. But that happens with prospects until the rubber hits the nhl road.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Both of our Boys hooking up in more than one occasion. It was meant to be!!!

Ha! Had no idea. That's awesome.

Actually, what's most impressive about those plays is not Barzal. We see playmakers do stuff like that every year. Beauvillier made those finishes look pretty easy.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Pardon me for being lazy, I'm guessing this has already been addressed, but can someone confirm the pronunciation of his name. Bo V.A. would be my guess (?)

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
For you guys going to the Blue-White scrimmage or watch online (they usually have it on NYI.com) keep an eye on Beauvillier.
Of course plenty of guys we want to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad