Player Discussion: Anthony Beauvillier (C - Shawinigan, QMJHL) - 1st Round, #28

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
And according to that, we took him right about where he was expected, late third of the first round. Could potentially be another steal.

The only one who has him as a solid first rounder was Button. He usually misses on more than he hits.

Hope he is an All-Star but looks like the soft parade continues.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Would have preferred Dunn or Kylington in this spot but excited as we have really restocked the forward prospect cupboard the last 2 drafts.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Don't know anything about this guy but fully expected MTL to grab him, being French and all.

Judging by the reports size is an issue but hopefully his scoring prowess overcomes that.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
“Could he have been there at 33? I don’t know, but why not get a guy you like and walk out with two guys you really wanted,” Klatt said.

I always agree with this.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
You guys are killing me with his compete level. I'm going to be up all night getting to know this kid and Barzal.

Unlike every other year, I did practically ZERO research this year and I'm a serious draftnik too as you guys know. I feel like that kid on X-Mas morning that screamed his ass off.

Me too! I am usually the draft guru for my Isles email list of about 10-12 guys. This year I had nothing to tell them as I was prepared for us to sit the sidelines.

You know after some drafts you are sooooo disappointed, this is 100% the opposite.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
The price to move up wasn't anything prohibited. Beauvillier is first round quality. For anyone going to the scrimmage at Barclay's you are going to love this guy.

Only saw him on TV three times, one was the prospects game where he was one of the team captains. One thing for sure you always notice him. While my viewing is limited, my family back in Quebec City are Remparts season ticket holders and have seen him live. Making a way overdue trip to visit them soon so I can ask them about Beauvillier.

Add Shawinigan to my list of games to listen to next season.

Patrice Lemieux

May 6, 2015
best face-off % in the Q. Saw him twice, was all-over the ice, great shot, good speed, was always there defensively. Could devellop into a solid 2-way C.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
He will be in the running for the Q points title this year.
Small but smart and he can put the puck in the net just like the best of them.
Needs to strengthen up, but all in all, a solid late 1st round pick.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Seems like a complete player, who puts up league leading numbers. Just a bit on the smaller side.

Klatt going out with a bang for sure.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
He just turned 18 so like MDC a younger draft eligable, if he grows an inch or so, get into that 190-195 pounds range with the skills and intensity-think we got a good one boys.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He just turned 18 so like MDC a younger draft eligable, if he grows an inch or so, get into that 190-195 pounds range with the skills and intensity-think we got a good one boys.

I think we drafted another Ryan Strome or as close as you can get to Stromer. Having another offensively gifted RH shot is huge, all of our eggs were in Strome's basket in that regard. Thrilled with this pick.

2 more years in the WHL and Team Canada action, Strome 2.0.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

Most guys who are small won't grow, it's the reason why they are small. Taller guys can still grow because their growing isn't finished yet.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I'm loving this pick now, he's like a more talented Cizikas type, Bergenheim with a brain type. His versatility will be big.

He is great on face-offs which i really liked. Kid will get bigger as he is only 17. Gritty player like Casy but with more skill. Really like this pick.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He is great on face-offs which i really liked. Kid will get bigger as he is only 17. Gritty player like Casy but with more skill. Really like this pick.

Both Barzal and Beauvillier are young for their draft class. In 2 years, both will be bigger and stronger. I already get the 'I freaking love this kid' fan favorite aura from him, this kid's motor is supposed to be outstanding.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Been reading through his prospect thread on this website:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1266739

Couple of key notes I took away from it:

- EVERYONE in the thread was hoping their team could target this kid with a late 1st round pick. You usually have a couple of people going "meh, I don't see it his game won't translate well" but posters from a ton of fanbases, Habs especially (that's what you get playing in the Q) really wanted him. Leaf fans, Nuck fans, etc. etc.

- McKenzie ranking him 59th is something to get offended about.

- A lot of people speculate that "professional" scouts paid more attention to size than skill level - he isn't big but his skillset seems extremely complete

- His teammates sucked. Had a very very good draft year with a terrible supporting cast around him. The second highest scorer on his team had 64 points.

Feeling a lot better about this pick. Both him and Barzal have tremendously high skill and paying Reinhart + 3rd for these two prospects seems like a damn fine move.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think we drafted another Ryan Strome or as close as you can get to Stromer. Having another offensively gifted RH shot is huge, all of our eggs were in Strome's basket in that regard. Thrilled with this pick.

2 more years in the WHL and Team Canada action, Strome 2.0.

This is Beauvillier's thread, but I agree. If you search the Barzal thread on the main board, weeks before the draft I said I thought Barzal reminded me of R. Strome.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Been reading through his prospect thread on this website:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1266739

Couple of key notes I took away from it:

- EVERYONE in the thread was hoping their team could target this kid with a late 1st round pick. You usually have a couple of people going "meh, I don't see it his game won't translate well" but posters from a ton of fanbases, Habs especially (that's what you get playing in the Q) really wanted him. Leaf fans, Nuck fans, etc. etc.

- McKenzie ranking him 59th is something to get offended about.

- A lot of people speculate that "professional" scouts paid more attention to size than skill level - he isn't big but his skillset seems extremely complete

- His teammates sucked. Had a very very good draft year with a terrible supporting cast around him. The second highest scorer on his team had 64 points.

Feeling a lot better about this pick. Both him and Barzal have tremendously high skill and paying Reinhart + 3rd for these two prospects seems like a damn fine move.

McKenzie's list is just a consensus of professional scouts, who year in and year out are not high on guys on the smaller side. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Beauvillier puts up league leading numbers while being a faceoff guru and a 200ft. player. He's not afraid to get his nose dirty either which is what you need (especially if you are undersized).

I think it's just a matter of maturing for him, he is a very good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad