Player Discussion: Anthony Beauvillier (C - Shawinigan, QMJHL) - 1st Round, #28

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'm looking forward to seeing his development. Love his game. The offense will come. His skill is there. He's got the thougest part down. Playing responsible defensive hockey.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Good gawd, something we all agree about.

Beau is a solid plus. I'd argue Ho Sang is as well. Throw in Lee solidifying and CdH coming back strong and that's all my happy from this season. Well, one more thing actually, but we had to lose a lot for it to happen, so not really a happy thing in the end.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Beauvillier is going to be a heck of a player long term. I bet he comes back even better and stronger next season. He not only survived the grind of the NHL season at his age, without any AHL time, he played even better at the end of the year. He is a big part of the core. It will be interesting to see if he establishes himself as the 3C next year or stays on the wing.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It will be interesting to see if he establishes himself as the 3C next year or stays on the wing.

Tavares, Cizikas

I still think Strome should play C
I think Nelson should play LW but it seems like the team wants him playing C (I wouldn't be surprised if one of Nelson or Strome though ends up in Vegas)
Barzal
Quine

I have a feeling he will be playing wing

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
would love to see the lee-beau-ho-sang line stick together again.
honestly as much as it would suck to see tavares leave, i think we have enough young talent to be fine in the long term if we lose him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
would love to see the lee-beau-ho-sang line stick together again.
honestly as much as it would suck to see tavares leave, i think we have enough young talent to be fine in the long term if we lose him.

If we can trade for a top line sniper to play with Tavares that wouldn't be a bad idea.

That line looked good after Tavares went down and Lee proved he can score without Tavares.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Tavares, Cizikas

I still think Strome should play C
I think Nelson should play LW but it seems like the team wants him playing C (I wouldn't be surprised if one of Nelson or Strome though ends up in Vegas)
Barzal
Quine

I have a feeling he will be playing wing

I also agree that if Strome is here, he should play C and Nelson is better suited for LW. Let Nelson just set up in the slot and shoot without any real defensive responsibility.

But one of Nelson or Strome is probably taken by Vegas and, if so, hopefully the Isles use the roster spot and money saved to upgrade. I am not sold that Quine needs to be in the starting 12, I would prefer that he is pushed to a 13th depth/rotational role. That would mean the Isles are very deep up front.

On the plus side, having Beauvillier around gives the Isles nice depth at C. Eventually though I think he forces the Isles to play him at C. His minor league face off numbers were very good.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
But one of Nelson or Strome is probably taken by Vegas and, if so, hopefully the Isles use the roster spot and money saved to upgrade.

I still think Islanders will do the 7-3-1 protection method leaving De Haan and Pulock open. that being said I can see them trying to offer something to Vegas not to touch either(which might end up being Nelson or Strome)

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If we can trade for a top line sniper to play with Tavares that wouldn't be a bad idea.

That line looked good after Tavares went down and Lee proved he can score without Tavares.

I def agree with looking to add up front, either to the first or second line. The Isles need to keep JT AND add one more big piece.

JT, Lee, Ladd, JHS, Barzal, Beauvillier, Bailey, one of Nelson/Strome (assuming one is lost to expansion) and a player like Duchene gives the Isles the top-9 forwards they need to truly compete.

Then just mix in Kulemin/Chimera-CC-CC for a solid fourth line and maybe Quine for depth and you are all set. MDC is on recall if anyone gets hurt.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
I still think Islanders will do the 7-3-1 protection method leaving De Haan and Pulock open. that being said I can see them trying to offer something to Vegas not to touch either(which might end up being Nelson or Strome)

there's no way you can think there are 7 forwards on this team worth protecting

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
there's no way you can think there are 7 forwards on this team worth protecting

You have to protect Ladd and it would be idiotic to not protect Tavares. So if we do 8-1 that means we either protect Lee and 5 defensemen or Lee and Cizikas and not protect one of Pulock or De Haan.

I could be wrong on this but I can see the Islanders not wanting to risk losing Cizikas. They then will hold back Strome and Nelson as well in hope it makes their value in the eyes of Vegas increase(that way they can dump one of them in order for Vegas not to touch the defensemen)

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

I think the Isles have to protect their defensemen, which has taken years to build up to this level, and I offer Vegas one of Nelson/Strome (whoever the Isles value least as the player we lose) and a draft pick or B prospect to get it done.

I am not sure what it will take but maybe the Isles offer Vegas their second rounder for Vegas third rounder. That way the Isles still have the same amount of picks but Vegas gets a nice bump up in the draft to target a better prospect.

Or maybe it is something else entirely. We won't know until teams start negotiating and the price gets set.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think the Isles have to protect their defensemen, which has taken years to build up to this level, and I offer Vegas one of Nelson/Strome (whoever the Isles value least as the player we lose) and a draft pick or B prospect to get it done.

I am not sure what it will take but maybe the Isles offer Vegas their second rounder for Vegas third rounder. That way the Isles still have the same amount of picks but Vegas gets a nice bump up in the draft to target a better prospect.

Or maybe it is something else entirely. We won't know until teams start negotiating and the price gets set.

Here is the thing, I think most teams are going to do 7-3-1 so the bulk of the unprotected lists defensemen will be the best option available. I do think Islanders can pull off leave both De Haan and Pulock available, then try negotiate something with Vegas not to pick them giving them something else(hopefully Dal Colle - a lesser defenseman(Hickey? Maybe Pelech if Vegas isn't sold on Hickey or Strome or Nelson).

vegas is going to be so hard pressed for forwards I think we can use that to our advantage not to touch our top 5 defensemen even if 2 are not protected

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
You have to protect Ladd and it would be idiotic to not protect Tavares. So if we do 8-1 that means we either protect Lee and 5 defensemen or Lee and Cizikas and not protect one of Pulock or De Haan.

I could be wrong on this but I can see the Islanders not wanting to risk losing Cizikas. They then will hold back Strome and Nelson as well in hope it makes their value in the eyes of Vegas increase(that way they can dump one of them in order for Vegas not to touch the defensemen)

strome and nelson hold 2000x less value than pulock and de haan. also if we protect them how in the hell would that make sense if we were trying to get rid of them? and i doubt cizikas is of interest despite how good he is at his role. the knights are gonna wanna be competitive from the get go and their top 6 is gonna be lacking heavily, makes a lot more sense for them to take a guy like strome or nelson who can play top 6.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
strome and nelson hold 2000x less value than pulock and de haan. also if we protect them how in the hell would that make sense if we were trying to get rid of them? and i doubt cizikas is of interest despite how good he is at his role. the knights are gonna wanna be competitive from the get go and their top 6 is gonna be lacking heavily, makes a lot more sense for them to take a guy like strome or nelson who can play top 6.

I do think there is a decent chance somebody like Cizikas will look apealling to a team in need of an identity and places value on hard work and leadership coupled with a little skill

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
I do think there is a decent chance somebody like Cizikas will look apealling to a team in need of an identity and places value on hard work and leadership coupled with a little skill

while i agree with you that cizikas is an excellent hockey player and holds some good value, vegas is going to be offensively deprived, a guy like nelson who can put up 20-25 goals a season is attractive when there isn't going to be much goal scoring going on.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
while i agree with you that cizikas is an excellent hockey player and holds some good value, vegas is going to be offensively deprived, a guy like nelson who can put up 20-25 goals a season is attractive when there isn't going to be much goal scoring going on.

Looking at this summer's UFAs

Hanzal, Vrbata, Vanek, Oshie, Sharp, Hudler, Parenteau

Now none of these guys are ideal but I am guessing at the end of the day a couple of them will have no other better options(assuming they looking for $$$ or in the cases of a few signing an NHL contract) then to sign in Vegas. So that's your offense how do you build the rest of your team, take an offensive player with warts(Nelson) or a guy who you identify to have the qualities you hope your team has long term(Cizikas)

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Looking at this summer's UFAs

Hanzal, Vrbata, Vanek, Oshie, Sharp, Hudler, Parenteau

Now none of these guys are ideal but I am guessing at the end of the day a couple of them will have no other better options(assuming they looking for $$$ or in the cases of a few signing an NHL contract) then to sign in Vegas. So that's your offense how do you build the rest of your team, take an offensive player with warts(Nelson) or a guy who you identify to have the qualities you hope your team has long term(Cizikas)

all of these players are getting up in age and most likely would like to sign in a place with a win now situation, besides oshie who will most likely resign with the caps or sign with a team that would become a contender with the addition of him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
all of these players are getting up in age and most likely would like to sign in a place with a win now situation, besides oshie who will most likely resign with the caps or sign with a team that would become a contender with the addition of him.

I know it's taking a gamble but I hope my top offensive player 5 years from now is a guy I draft either in 2017 or 2018 if I am Vegas

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Here is the thing, I think most teams are going to do 7-3-1 so the bulk of the unprotected lists defensemen will be the best option available. I do think Islanders can pull off leave both De Haan and Pulock available, then try negotiate something with Vegas not to pick them giving them something else(hopefully Dal Colle - a lesser defenseman(Hickey? Maybe Pelech if Vegas isn't sold on Hickey or Strome or Nelson).

vegas is going to be so hard pressed for forwards I think we can use that to our advantage not to touch our top 5 defensemen even if 2 are not protected

In a salary cap world, there is no way you give Vegas both MDC and Pelech. That is crazy. They are cheap quality depth the Isles have spent years developing.

I know some people are down on MDC because his development has taken time but he can probably be Nelson at a fraction of the cost and maybe with a bit more grit. That is a solid commodity.

You offer them one of Strome or Nelson and a nice future. Be it a draft pick or prospect.

I would rather give them our second rounder outright than give up an NHL ready player like Pelech and MDC, who worst case is probably Steve Bernier when he was with Vancouver. Of he improved his skating, he can be even better.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
I know it's taking a gamble but I hope my top offensive player 5 years from now is a guy I draft either in 2017 or 2018 if I am Vegas

yeah you have to assume mcphee has a 5 year plan with his drafting. don't think we'd let cizikas leave this team, he plays the biggest role on forward besides jt imo.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
In a salary cap world, there is no way you give Vegas both MDC and Pelech. That is crazy. They are cheap quality depth the Isles have spent years developing.

I know some people are down on MDC because his development has taken time but he can probably be Nelson at a fraction of the cost and maybe with a bit more grit. That is a solid commodity.

You offer them one of Strome or Nelson and a nice future. Be it a draft pick or prospect.

I would rather give them our second rounder outright than give up an NHL ready player like Pelech and MDC, who worst case is probably Steve Bernier when he was with Vancouver. Of he improved his skating, he can be even better.

Fair enough, I was just throwing out Dal Colle because I think he can have alot of value to a team like Vegas if we want to keep our roster intact. Like I said they will be hard pressed to find young offensive forwards

don't think we'd let cizikas leave this team, he plays the biggest role on forward besides jt imo.

My point about Cizikas though was is if he is left unprotected, while I am guessing he wouldn't be drafted I can see a somewhat likely scenario why he might be(even over Strome or nelson) and thing is if we protect him in a 8-1 scenario that means one of De Haan or Pulock will be exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00